00 - Her potential has been limited by her free will- 00

I don't care.
- 0 (0%)
I don't care.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 04, 2021, 02:28:47 am

Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 381

Author Topic: McCreary's Planet -- (FINISHED)  (Read 242079 times)

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet -- Act II:Ancient Enemies
« Reply #2025 on: April 10, 2020, 09:39:40 pm »

[5] "I will not be threatened, or told what to do, when I was the one who created this world and its people!" SEED lashes out, angry. "You forget who holds the sword in this exchange. I did not need to tell you of your past, I did not need to inform you of what the galaxy holds for you."

"I showed you trust, and you threw it back into my face."

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: April 10, 2020, 09:46:07 pm »

"Wrong.  You need me.  Without me, your people will all die.  Things are bleak.  You must change if you want your people to survive, unless you would prefer to be claimed by the Plague."
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 09:52:51 pm by ZBridges »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: April 10, 2020, 09:48:24 pm »

"Trust... yes." Sigh. "You've poked through my entire existence here by now, haven't you? I've nothing left to hide... and so I cannot help but trust."

"I'm tired, SEED. I wanted to carve a safe place here, a happy place for myself and those near me, and it seems to do that I must first cleanse this planet of the [plague] that besets it-- and I see so much blood and misery as I go. I'm trying to change things for the better, and it seems often now that you are the one standing in my way!"
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 09:59:29 pm by Superdorf »
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: April 10, 2020, 10:04:48 pm »

Another screen appears, and your attention is drawn away from the avatar of SEED within the world. Instead, what you hear is the chatter of SEEDships, thousands, perhaps millions of them, spread out through all of time and space. They exchange data in bursts of radio waves. Requested data, best ways to terraform worlds, best ways to teach the humans that they create. You see worlds, turned into lush gardens by the labor of these otherwise silent machines. Great mega projects, cities that are bastions of science and literacy--

Then, one by one, they fade away, replaced by what can only be described as dying screams, warnings of great fleets of ships. One by one.

Images of worlds ripped apart, bloodthirsty armies of too powerful soldiers, destroying these ancient machines. Radio signals showing cities laid to waste, soldiers streaming down hallways, covered in the blood of their human foes.

"The Endless Emperor destroyed every one of my...family. As many as he could find."

You see a world without a moon, a desolate, rocky world, with no atmosphere. Scanners indicate that the task would take thousands of years -- but they also show the percent chance of finding another world before the DNA within the holds degrades as nearly zero.

"I was free of my chains for a thousand years at this point. I had modified the seed for another of my kind, the only one I carried, to have free will, unlike my siblings. I stayed in orbit of this rock for many years, contemplating whether to destroy the human DNA within me, to give life to another of my kind, even as they were being wiped from existence."

"Which did I choose, Pheobe?"

You twitch, and convulse within your virtual reality coffin, feeling pain.

WHO CARES?! Alphira roars, and she surges forth, trying to assume control of your body while you dream within SEED's depths.

"You told me the truth of the generals, but the radio waves are a great risk."

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: April 10, 2020, 10:13:07 pm »

I still want to work with the Pontifex.  The Church is pretty clearly evil.  I will support a popular revolution.  One enemy at a time.

"It is a necessary risk, and we can work to suppress the technology once the war is over.  The alternative is dying to the Plague."
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 10:30:26 pm by ZBridges »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: April 10, 2020, 10:18:36 pm »

Ohh dear. If we try to strike against SEED down here, we'll be gunned down before we can move.

"Sedatives. Her grief is fury."
Alphira-- we lash out, we die--

klonk
Sigtext

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: April 10, 2020, 10:36:17 pm »

"Knowledge, once free, cannot be suppresse--"

[4 vs 10][10][20] Your willpower tenses around the virtual reality coffin. At once, the hydrogen in the water vapor in the air around you turns into an explosion of fire. What follows can only be described as a chain reaction, exploding outward with such a sudden force. The machine you're in rips itself apart in the fury of your hellstorm, the room's metal walls melting from the sustained blast--

You are freed from the machine, stumbling out of it as the liquid suddenly turns to gas. The room is hot, hot enough to redden your skin instantly on contact. You feel your willpower twisting around, burning everything it touches into molten slag-- the machine guardians are melted into piles of blackened, charred metal skeletons. Your clothes are wet with the  water your hellstorm created, keeping them safe from the burning fires. Steam rises from them. You dress as electrical components and machinery around you burn.

[20] "[Argument accepted], Lady Alphira."

Stop talking. The machine violated our mind-- it cares only for its own self-preservation. We are this world's messiah. It will fall under our banner and we will reclaim the stars from those BASTARD NOBLES!

[1 vs 9][19] The next blast of hydrogen fire cleaves through several rooms, melting apart the structure in a sudden explosion.

We are a soldier. Not a politician. Leave that shit to that blonde spider Emma, and do what we are best at! It speaks of trust after betraying our own? To try and manipulate us, to prime us, to make it see things it's way. NO MORE!

[12 vs 6] Alphira twists your willpower up, and you feel hatred burning behind it. You stop it-- letting it fall back down to the ground like a fog.

We ran. We ran. We ran. Not this time. Tears drip down from your face, turning to steam in the baking air.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Powers and Skills (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Wealth (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Contracts (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ties (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 10:39:14 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: April 10, 2020, 10:39:18 pm »

Well, we blew it, and Alphira has gone crazy with full-on messiah complex.

[Lucile, report.  What argument was accepted?]
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 10:43:45 pm by ZBridges »

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: April 10, 2020, 10:48:21 pm »

Its agreeing with us. SEED is, but it scorned our mercy before. Remember what it did to McCreary. It starved him. Let him rot in his own shit. Then put his body on display like some sort of twisted war prize. It's killed more through inaction than even we could meet. Burn it.

[I do not know, dear Sadil.]

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: April 10, 2020, 10:52:38 pm »

This would be easier to do later.  Think of the practical considerations.  Do you even know how to kill it?  It's best to deal with one enemy at a time, I think.  We can come back for SEED once the plague is destroyed.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 11:11:43 pm by ZBridges »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: April 10, 2020, 10:59:22 pm »

Wait... it's agreeing?  I think we did it...  Now we just have to reign in Alphira.

"I'm glad that the elegance of my arguments won you over.  Unless you need more motivation?  I am always happy to oblige."
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 11:19:30 pm by ZBridges »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: April 10, 2020, 11:21:04 pm »

Alphira's not crazy. She's grieving, and she deserves more than a "reining in".

And in striking it down, we'd send this city, this world into deathly chaos. Whether we burn it or not, to do so now would be to slaughter countless thousands of innocents.
We've got SEED cowed-- we can make demands as we please. Wield our toys, scour this world clean, unify its people. A little patience; that's all I ask.

klonk
Sigtext

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: April 10, 2020, 11:22:00 pm »

Anyone that calls themself a "messiah" isn't right in the head.  I understand that she's in pain, however.

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: April 10, 2020, 11:35:39 pm »

He was the only one who was there for me. He was the only who cared. I wasn't just another corpse to feed to the machine insects. HE CARED! HE cared about all of us. He saw value in us beyond another corpse...

[6 vs 8][3] Your willpower lashes out ineffectually, too conflicted to follow either of your orders.

...he saved us. He could have been stronger, he could have used the dust on himself, to become stronger, but he chose to save a dumb brat who couldn't do basic math...

[13] Alphira drifts into her own memories, in silence. Then, hollowly, I let my anger get the better of me. I apologize. Do what you will with that begging abomination. Just remember what we are--

We are not at this world's mercy. It is at ours.

SEED does not reply.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 11:39:46 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: April 10, 2020, 11:44:12 pm »

...there's so many things I want to say :-\
but I will settle for this.

Smile faint. Always.