Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 319 320 [321] 322 323 ... 325

Author Topic: Extinction  (Read 253159 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Extinction
« Reply #4800 on: July 20, 2024, 11:51:49 am »

1. How long since what? Trisamore fell… about a thousand years ago at least. Does that help?

2. As far as Trence knows, nobody but him and, sort of, Farflame. Anyone else is hidden much more deeply than Todorov, if that’s even possible.

3. They’re dead. We can’t remember much about them. We were petrified for a very, very long time. Maybe thousands of years…

4. Tracking dragon energy with a satellite and a device. And collecting enough forms to open the seal ourselves.

5. Tell him about our family, and the people who helped us like Alice and Talent.

1.  Not quite as much as you hope.  This guy doesn't know what Trisamore is.  So it's been a long, long time.  The overall impression is that it wasn't supposed to take this long for a successor to show up.

2.  "So there's no colony, then?  No society?"  A few rhetorical questions.  "No, Farflame isn't a dragon, Farflame is just a god who liked dragons because they didn't ask for much.  Although.. there might be something more, given how much help he's given you."

3.  "Ahh.  Petrification.  That shouldn't have lasted so long, but.. yeah, buried in earth, made of stone.. that would have been a good way to hide indeed."

4.  "Satellite?"  Unfortunately, without Uncle hear to talk about the magical energy, you can't give a full explanation.  But the idea that dragon energy can be tracked this way, by devices and such does seem to matter, making him more animated again on the subject.  "I wish we had one of those trackers.  We could have hidden a lot better.  As is it was just guesswork and as much overkill as possible.  Dead dragon, buried in stone, elemental energy filters..

..maybe it wouldn't be just me here."

5.  There's no particular response to this, although he does mention that there were a few volunteers on their side of the war, but that he had no close companions like Trence does now.

"Alright.  I think I feel it coming.  I can answer a few more questions, but it's long past time I stepped aside."

You can make out a faint pulse in the golden light under the old man.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2024, 11:58:35 am by Devastator »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4801 on: July 20, 2024, 05:32:25 pm »

We probably get 5 more tops. I’ll make one suggestion:

Is it true that dragons are sources of power for void creatures, and if so, how were they stopped?
One wheel short of a wagon

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4802 on: July 20, 2024, 08:54:26 pm »

"Void creatures?  What are void creatures?"

This is a bit tricky, as you yourself don't know what a void creature is, but they don't seem to have existed way back then.  City destroying monsters could happen, but they'd just be normal monsters.  Whatever Void Creatures are, they are not from his time.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2024, 09:06:34 pm by Devastator »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4803 on: July 24, 2024, 03:34:57 am »

(No more questions?)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4804 on: July 24, 2024, 04:33:07 am »

If nothing else, it could be good to ask any of:

What do Fruits and Breaths do?

Do the Concordat have any weaknesses? What would fighting them be like? 

Is there a way there could be more dragons after us, or are we the last of our kind?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4805 on: July 25, 2024, 02:15:17 am »

We've been collecting dragon forms. Anything we should know about doing that?

Does he know of anywhere or anything super cool from his time that might be an awesome ruin or hidden treasure thousands of years later?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4806 on: July 25, 2024, 02:28:22 am »

+1 to all of those, I can't think of anything to ask.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4807 on: July 25, 2024, 03:03:51 am »

If nothing else, it could be good to ask any of:

What do Fruits and Breaths do?

Do the Concordat have any weaknesses? What would fighting them be like? 

Is there a way there could be more dragons after us, or are we the last of our kind?

'Oh, those are the terms for the other two types of advanced dragons.  "Fruits.."  well, you could better term them 'Mind' dragons.  "Breaths" are.. well, they'd be 'Body' dragons.  Both have different abilities.  "Imp".. well, you'll find that out soon enough.'

"Back in my time it was mostly fighting their servants and soldiers.  They did have some powerful abilities, but they tried their best to keep the range open, using them to equip soldiers or buff troops.  There were a couple of actions that got a few of them in close.  They were very powerful, but not insanely powerful, and they kept some strong bodyguards, too..  The problem is they wouldn't stay dead.  We got a couple of them, but they just came back.  We figured the rest of the group could revive fallen members somehow.

..as for weaknesses.. nothing in general, and they had different members who were good at different things.  Although there was one thing.  None of them ever did any summons.  People under them could use summons, but they never did any themselves, to my knowledge."

"Well, it's a big world, and there are other worlds, and there is the skies above.  You've got the rest of your life ahead of you.  I don't know any way you could lead to more dragons, but you've met me after maybe thousands of years.  And you might beat the concordat who killed us all.  Certainly not the time to give up yet.

...and for all I know they might have a few prisoners.  They killed us all all the times I know about.. but I am in no way certain."

We've been collecting dragon forms. Anything we should know about doing that?

Does he know of anywhere or anything super cool from his time that might be an awesome ruin or hidden treasure thousands of years later?

That part is weird.  Dragon forms shouldn't be collectable.  There's something odd going on there.. which, eventually, you figure to be Farflame's intervention making it possible.  Or something else, perhaps beyond or above Farflame.  This arrangement was supposed to be unique, the double special form requirement on the seal simply something that's rare but not hugely rare among dragons.. but certainly rare enough that a random prisoner won't have it.

As for something or some place super cool..

"What, a unique vault containing the spirit of an ancient dragon not good enough for you?"

"Well, there is one thing.  Do you know where Rishelka is?"

Nope.  After some questions, you find out that it's on the western continent, up North, in the middle of a highland, abnormally warm, surrounded by high icy mountains..

"You mean the Pink Land?"

"That's what they call it now?"

"Yeah.  It's marked that way on maps, and it's basically somewhere to stay the hell away from it, because it's got too many monsters.  I want to go there sometime."

"Yeah, that's Rishelka all right.  Way, way too many monsters.  No dragon has ever explored it, it's too dangerous, though many have died.  Still..

..some have gotten up high and flown over parts of it.  Dozens of mana potions can solve a lot of problems.  There's a few interesting places inside it."

The old dragon then tells you about three places inside the Pink Land.  There's the Broken Sphere, which is the remains of a metallic dome, vaguely in the location marked as a ruin in the Pink Land.  Then there's the Bramble Gyre, a vine-filled spiral further to the southeast which seems artificial.  And the Forsaken Falls, a melting waterfall near the ice border in the middle of the Pink Land.  It generates way too much steam, way too much water, and way too much heat, so there's likely something important to the Pink Land over there.  Hmm.

Of course, you've got an ancient, mighty dragon telling you there are still way too many goddamn monsters there, and not knowing WHY there's so many monsters.  As always.

To be continued.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4808 on: July 26, 2024, 02:45:34 am »

There is some more small talk, but the golden glow is pulsing now, and clearly something is happening.  The two of you meet eyes once more, and then everything flattens out and sort of goes 'squelch', and the image of the ancient dragon goes off to infinity, with an imagined whooshing sound.

The emptiness recedes until all is once more blackness.  The blackness of an empty stage, nothingness solid beneath your feet, the tapping of your feet clearly audible as you remain in place.  Several moments of emptiness later, your tapping is matched by another.

Turning around, it's you.  Spear, armour, boots, and all, it's you, glowing gold from within and without.

"Heya.  So you're Trence?"

"Yes.  Are you me?"

"Nah, I'm the Imperial Dragon.  I'm just giving you a quick once-over while sorting out what kind of power I can give you."

You're then examined by.. yourself, as you walk around eyeing yourself from every angle.  You end up demonstrating some of your moves and attacks, including the other dragon forms you've collected.

"Whoa.  That is pretty impressive.  You'll be up there with the greatest dragons of all time."

"Wait, can you talk about them?"

"Afraid not.  I'm not really here, I'm just..

..well, your mind is making me up.  A kind of metaphor thing, to explain me examining you.  I don't actually know anything, just feel things.  And I feel you're going to be properly awesome."

Huh.

"Just one question, though, and it's a big one."

"Shoot."

"What does power mean to you?"

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4809 on: July 26, 2024, 05:32:29 am »

“Power means… powerful people get to do what they want to do, without other people coming to tell them what to do or interfere with them. They get to live however they like, at least as long as they don’t look for trouble.”

Trence thinks for a few moments.

“Like the Concordat, they can just sit on the Isle Perilous guarded by the Four Swords. Or Tulia… it had to prove it was big and strong enough to resist the Concordat, and the siege showed it was powerful enough that it didn’t have to do as they say, even when they brought their whole army.”

“Me and Willis and our family are very strong, but I don’t think we’re powerful. That’s why we had to spend so much time fighting to stay alive, and why we have to do all the things we’re doing to stop the people hunting us.”

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4810 on: July 27, 2024, 03:54:06 am »

“Power means… powerful people get to do what they want to do, without other people coming to tell them what to do or interfere with them. They get to live however they like, at least as long as they don’t look for trouble.”

“Like the Concordat, they can just sit on the Isle Perilous guarded by the Four Swords. Or Tulia… it had to prove it was big and strong enough to resist the Concordat, and the siege showed it was powerful enough that it didn’t have to do as they say, even when they brought their whole army.”

“Me and Willis and our family are very strong, but I don’t think we’re powerful. That’s why we had to spend so much time fighting to stay alive, and why we have to do all the things we’re doing to stop the people hunting us.”
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4811 on: July 28, 2024, 01:59:35 am »

"Well, he's out again", says Alice.  "It really is a dragon thing, isn't it?"

Trence is collapsed at the top of the stairs inside the central square.

"Yeah, I'm beginning to think that too." agrees Sessha.

Another thirty seconds pass in the green and yellow room.

Willis breaks the silence.  "So.. should we go get him?"

More time passes.

A few moments before the tension becomes unbearable, a figure appears.  It is the old dragon from Trence's vision, standing, but hunched over.  He reaches down and touches the hair on Trence's head.

The party rushes over to join him, but the elder dragon holds up his other hand.  "Be ready.  I think you'll need to fight.  Do you think you can knock some sense into him?"

"What?"

"Yeah, he's gonna be out of control, ready to fight anyone.  If you knock him out, I think he'll be okay.  Can you handle him?"

"Probably"
"Sure"
"Absolutely"

The party speaks up.  Uncle steps back and out of the room, safely out of range.

The old man steps back, and Trence changes, turning into a gigantic golden-purple dragon, gold scales over purple highlights, claws and fangs flashing like metal.  And he looks mean, with sharp-forward curling horns and a mouth.. full of golden smoke.

Encounter Start!

Now facing 1 Imperial Dragon!

Sessha:  "Ahh, he had the haste boots, didn't he?"

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2024, 05:00:46 pm by Devastator »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4812 on: July 28, 2024, 04:22:24 pm »

Well, Willis appears to be in front. That's not ideal. We don't know what this form can do, so let's get the heavy damge in early just in case, and then try to control the fight.

We don't have a very tanky or damage heavy team without Trence, but we do have some good options there and a pretty incredible debuff/control game. Would be quite interesting to have to fight without him for a while.

Sessha >       Vertigo
Willis >       Absolute Zero!
Alice  >       Harry+

« Last Edit: July 28, 2024, 06:04:25 pm by NJW2000 »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4813 on: July 28, 2024, 05:01:04 pm »

(Fixed things.  Sessha didn't have her combat skills.)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4814 on: July 29, 2024, 06:21:29 pm »

Even so, I’m happy with those orders.
Pages: 1 ... 319 320 [321] 322 323 ... 325