Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Armories of Valturia: Fabrique Riviere Thread  (Read 7155 times)

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Armories of Valturia: Fabrique Riviere Thread
« Reply #60 on: October 22, 2020, 10:11:34 pm »

Quote from: Včautte de'Bueaxuč
No Designs, No Revisions: (2) UristMcRiley, Powder Miner
eS is wrong, Revise the 1c: (1) Doomblade
FR No.2.a Machine Gun 'Wiel': (2) Maxim, eS
Make "Go for Broke" the FR moto: (1) Maxim
eS asked me to switch his vote
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 10:26:24 pm by Maxim_inc »

Iris

• Bay Watcher
  • A paradox of love and righteous sin
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 22, 2020, 10:25:29 pm »

FR No.2.a Machine Gun 'Wiel': (3) Maxim, eS, Iridium

I'm going to be honest. I really feel uneasy about this, but after reflection, I think immediately going for the machine gun is the best way to ensure we stay competitive against the other corporations. If we wait, the chance of getting a contract snaked out from under us is too dangerous to risk.

Edit: I thought we were going with French names. Shouldn't this be the Roue?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 10:31:53 pm by Iridium64 »
Quote from: AseaHeru (on Discord), Monday, June 20, 2022 10:41 PM
I still want the D. The D is love, the D is life. The D is bully.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
That night when we dove in
But now I'm sinking

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 22, 2020, 10:55:04 pm »

FR No.2.a Machine Gun 'Wiel': (4) Maxim, eS, Iridium, D7
Ignorez les putains, prenez l'argent.

But after giving it some thought, we could really use the potential here.

Also, that's not how you say votebox in french you rubes.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 10:58:16 pm by Doubloon-Seven »

Avanti!

TheFantasticMsFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Ckk Ckk
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2020, 11:06:22 am »

FR No.2.a Machine Gun 'Wiel': (5) Maxim, eS, Iridium, D7, TFF

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2020, 02:01:37 pm »

FR No.2.a Machine Gun 'Wiel': The ‘Wiel’ is the newest revolutionary design for machine guns. Feeding the regular 11mm round as our carbine from a 200 round canvas belt or 75 round metal feed strips. The belt/strip is inserted into the right side of the gun and the weapon is charged to load the first round by the loader simply rotating the flywheel with his hand. The furniture of the weapon is simple metal with a L shaped metal tube handle possessing a trigger. There is an optional stock that can be screwed into a small hole at the bend of the handle, the stock being made out of wood and designed to fit comfortably into the shooter’s shoulder to increase control. Great care is put into ensuring the quality of the action and of the spring with the former of die forged machine finished parts and the latter of quality steel.

There is also a carry handle, also wood, located on the barrel of the weapon which can also be used to remove and change the barrel. The barrel underside itself is lined down three-quarters of it’s length with steel half fins to disperse heat from the barrel to prevent overheating. The sights is a forward post sight with a rear ladder sight ranged from 100 to 1500 meters.

The action of the gun is a gas-operated lever action system, though instead of a typical lever it's a small teacup plate sized flywheel attached to a spring. As the 11mm round passes through the barrel a small amount of it’s gas is diverted through a small hole and directed onto a small cup on the side of the flywheel, the resulting force causes the flywheel to spin and tighten the spring which moves the action and ejects the spend round to the left out of the gun before loading a new one as the energy of the action ceases and the flywheel spins back into place under the pressure of the compressed spring ready to repeat the process again. The operator is protected from the flywheel by a small cover that encloses the entirety of the flywheel save for it’s external cup.

The mount for the ‘Wiel’ is a simple tripod that can either have it’s movement axis locked into place and moved with small ratchet screws for precise directional fire or unlocked for a free range of movement. In order to prevent over-stressing of the spring and to keep the recoil from shaking the gun too much the fire rate is artificially capped at 350 rpm by a small limiter screw which slows the rotation of the flywheel, the rpm of the ‘Wiel’ can be made even slower or faster by simply loosening or tightening the screw up to a maximum fire rate of around 780rpm. The Flywheel and spring can be easily replaced by removing the Snap-On cover and replacing the two parts, the cover having a cut-out as to not get caught on the fly-wheel's cup.

The machinegun is designed to be cheap to produce while prioritizing reliability.

Roll: 6
Difficulty: -2

This is your first machine gun, a difficult task for any manufacturer. It uses a design based on the 1895 colt-browning "potato digger" in which gas pushes a lever away from the barrel. The difference is that instead of a large lever which tends to hit the ground and can get things stuck in it, this uses a wheel in a housing. Initial attempts at a "teacup size" wheel were unsuccessful, it was quickly determined that a larger wheel was needed for more leverage. This resulted in a 220mm diameter wheel. The initial idea of offering belts and feed strips wasn't finished, the gun only runs fabric belts. The addition of cooling fins on the quick change barrels, of which multiple must be included with each gun, adds cost. Grabbing the "cup" was found to be difficult, so a lever was added. Fabrique Riviere being a former lumber company, wooden furniture was quicker and cheaper to implement than steel tubing, which was deemed acceptable since weight was not a priority.

FR No.2.a Machine Gun 'Wiel': This is a machinegun in FR 11mm. It is a large, heavy weapon which sits on a tripod, and feeds from 200-round cloth belts. Its unusual "wheel operation" method gives the gun a distinctive outline. On the right side of the barrel mounted vertically is a wheel enclosed in a sheet metal housing, about 240mm, with a crank. Under the barrel is a small "pedal" attached to the wheel. When the gun is fired, a gas port pushes on this pedal, the wheel rotates 180 degrees and then springs back, pushing on a lever which operates the gun. There is an adjustable screw which places friction on the wheel to control rate of fire, but when set too low the gun simply fails to operate, so it really only adjusts between 400-500 rounds per minute. The rest of the gun involves a long extractor arm which pulls cartridges from the belt, and pushes them into the chamber, as well as the bolt itself, and a number of tiny parts which regulate their operation. The belt sits below the receiver and casings eject from the top. Most of this is hidden in a sheet metal case with a lid which clips into place for ease of maintenance. It also features a front carry handle which, when pressed down, acts as a release for quick change barrels, which are finned for cooling. It has fixed ladder sights with range markings out to 1500m, and a pistol grip with an optional wooden shoulder stock. The gun operates with reasonable reliability, though its reciprocating parts lurch the gun violently up, down, forward and back during operation. Attempting to use the front handle to hold the front down often loosens the quick change barrel. At higher rates of fire, the barrel can simply come loose on its own (it will rotate and the gas port will cease operating the gun harmlessly). 40 credits.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 02:23:53 pm by Sensei »
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Iris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2020, 03:13:44 pm »

Bidding Plan A:
FR No.2.a Machine Gun 'Wiel' to Vostoyan Army at 60 credits

Quote from: Bidding Phase, 1911
Do Not Bid (0)
Bidding Plan A (1): Iridium
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
But now I'm sinking

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2020, 03:15:16 pm »

Do Not Bid (0)
Bidding Plan A (2): Iridium, Maxim

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2020, 03:24:18 pm »

Quote from: Bid Proposal B
> Procino Royal Police: the FR No1.b Carbine "Nouveau" at 36 Credits.

> Kingdom of Vostoy: the FR No.2.a Machine Gun 'Wiel' at 60 Credits

No reason to to propose both, right?

Do Not Bid (0)
Bidding Plan A (2): Iridium, Maxim
Bid Proposal B: (1) eS

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2020, 03:27:34 pm »

Do Not Bid (0)
Bid Proposal B: (2) eS, Maxim

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2020, 03:28:45 pm »

Do Not Bid (0)
Bid Proposal B: (3) eS, Doomblade, Maxim

No reason to get more info on how our current carbine does.

In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Iris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 23, 2020, 03:29:21 pm »

Do Not Bid (0)
Bidding Plan A: (0)
Bid Proposal B: (4) eS, Doomblade, Maxim, Iridium
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
But now I'm sinking

Iris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2020, 05:48:00 pm »

Quote from: New Bullet Design
9mm Riviere

The 9x30mm Riviere cartridge is a centrefire intermediate cartridge designed for carbines and pistols. The bullet is a new boat-tailed spitzer design, but the cartridge is still straight-walled to prevent issues with chambering. Another new detail is the adoption of full metal jacket rounds. A more modern powder formulation than the 11mm Riviere also allows for a more powerful cartridge. The design is rimless to facilitate semi-automatic loading systems, featuring a distinctive extractor groove.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
But now I'm sinking

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2020, 07:37:43 pm »

Quote from: Actions
No actions this turn: (1) eS

UristMcRiley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2020, 07:57:17 pm »

No actions this turn: (2) eS, UristMcRiley

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2020, 10:45:47 pm »

No actions this turn: (3) eS, UristMcRiley, Powder Miner

Thinking on it... as nice as it would be to give Behrens some competition in Pistolville, it would just be too damn expensive. We're better off going with a rifle or MG opportunity next turn.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8