Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 38

Author Topic: Paranormal Mafia 26 - Game over! Town victory  (Read 34213 times)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
Re: Paranormal Mafia 26 - Day 1 is cold and fears for the future
« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2020, 08:46:07 pm »

4maskwolf thank you for pointing it out, I guess I got carried away. I was inspired by the majority of players also RPing.

Mostly I wanted to show I was available...I'm not especially aggressive. So my posts were to show I am online and responsive. Right now I am cooking TricMagic until a better candidate becomes apparent, and to give them a reason to stay engaged and be useful.

I'm also overthinking some weird things people said, but I don't have anything useful. Like wondering about Webadict's teasing us about his random approach. It feels like a "random" string to pull at just to be distracting.

To your question I am pretty green, even if I have played several games. But it doesn't mean I'm going to take the lead of others with unverified allegiance or not try to win.
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2020, 08:52:19 pm »

As webadict points out, please do not edit your posts.

If you want to correct something you said, you can do a Post-Edit where you do a new post and quote yourself, correcting what you meant to say in that. Or just do another post and clarify.

If you say something truly wrong (like typing a slur by accident or the like) and really need it removed let me know. I am a moderator for this sub-forum and can edit posts.

Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2020, 08:59:30 pm »

4maskwolf thank you for pointing it out, I guess I got carried away. I was inspired by the majority of players also RPing.

Mostly I wanted to show I was available...I'm not especially aggressive. So my posts were to show I am online and responsive. Right now I am cooking TricMagic until a better candidate becomes apparent, and to give them a reason to stay engaged and be useful.

I'm also overthinking some weird things people said, but I don't have anything useful. Like wondering about Webadict's teasing us about his random approach. It feels like a "random" string to pull at just to be distracting.

To your question I am pretty green, even if I have played several games. But it doesn't mean I'm going to take the lead of others with unverified allegiance or not try to win.
I was definitely too harsh there, Webadict is right that I was rather angry at the time (not really at the game, just life stuff) but it spilled over into the game.  A little bit of RP is fine and good, clean, flavorful fun, but it does become difficult to read when someone's entire log of posts is entirely RP, since it obscures the players voice and limits the amount of actual content they can provide to the game.  I'd like to clarify I don't want anyone to stop RPing, I'd just prefer if people interspersed it with more standard mafia play.

Luckyowl: If it means anything, I can vouch that webadict isn't trying to trick you or play verbal games with you.  While this is ultimately a competitive game, it's best if everyone has fun while playing it, especially newer players since if the game is enjoyable why stick around to play more.  And while it is a game of lies and deception, it's considered incredibly poor form to mislead new players on how to play the game because that just ruins the game for them.  While you can't trust anything else out of anyone here's mouths, you can trust the kind of general good play guidance that webadict is giving.

juicebox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2020, 09:06:22 pm »

Additionally, what would be your thoughts if I claimed immediately?
Well you claiming publicly would be a new one, but as I recall you claimed over PMs to doll on D1 last game, so it wouldn't be out of character.
... Oh really? Then let the wine tasting begin.

I am a Sneak. As of now, I will be hiding at 4maskwolf's house tonight. I will change this to be the person I would most like to die tonight. But, so far, I would be okay with losing you, Monsieur Wolf.

But, you likely don't believe me. That is fair. Because I am lying. But, maybe I'm not. I have brought cheese for palette cleansing.

Man that's some strong stuff Webadict. Trying to get scum drunk?

Two dopps in eight players is gonna be tough.

Webadict, are you going to peddle more hivemind conspiracies like last time?
Probably. I mean, if it fits. I'm not exactly expecting a third party in a 2/8 setup, unless we're sufficiently broken, balance-wise, but I'm never against crazy nonsense. I don't especially like your insinuation about me though. But, your question here implies that you might be third party, where my answer implies that I am most assuredly not. Because I'm not.

Do you think there's any merit in the theory that we may be dealing with aliens instead of doppelgangers? Or am I just too focused on the usage of the word alien in the flavor?

To everyone: I randomized who I would randomvote first, and it came up TricMagic, but I purposefully skipped them because I knew more about Persus13, who was second. I also considered voting 4maskwolf, but avoided doing so because they said they were going to be busy and I'd waste time waiting for an answer.

What would be a good reason for me to do these, and does it make me scummy?

Additionally, what would be your thoughts if I claimed immediately?

I think a good reason for you skipping over Tricmagic in favor of RVSing Persus and 4mask is that since you're more familiar with them and their playstyles, you have a better baseline with which to judge their responses. It's Non-alignment indicative to me.

As for the claim, I don't think claiming this early is such a good idea, I think maf stands to gain more info from a claim this early than town does
I like you. I disagree with you, but you're alright. +50 points to Town points to juicebox.

The reason why you should avoid thinking too hard on Aliens is that there are for sure two Doppelgangers, given by the flavortext. If there's an Alien among that, then it would need to be a relatively unswingy type of Alien, such as... I think there's one that works for Humans? Can the Operative do that? Or the one that needs to find an Agent. Regardless, that makes them a relatively minor threat, compared to the known threat of Doppelgangers, who will undoubtedly attempt to kill Town.

I am tempted to just skip today and get to night.

This sounds like a very bad idea. We miss out on information if we just skip the day phase like that
Oh, but you lose them for reiterating my point here. Darn.

But it's a good point that I think bears repeating though, and it makes Tricmagic look a little scummier to me for suggesting it.

juicebox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2020, 09:09:30 pm »

Juicebox, Tricmagic, and roseheart: Out of curiosity, how much experience do you have playing mafia or similar games?

I've had quite a bit of experience with mafia, both here, on other sites and IRL. I wouldn't say I'm a good player, I'm decent at best, but I always try my best to play a good game and I usually have a lot of fun while doing so

juicebox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 04, 2020, 09:14:20 pm »

...Sigh... Your ways with words are far greater than me. I am not a debater, as it is evidence in my writing. I can not trick you or trap you. I can  feel what you are doing, but I can not manifest it into words in a way that will leave baffled. I'm a sprout when it comes to this.

With no other option. I will follow...your advice: I am a medium. I can speak to the dead. That is it. That's my ability. I can't do anything now since I need  spirits to talk to.

See this is why I don't like the idea of claiming this early in the day. Mafia definitely get more information out of this reveal than town does atm. If I were you I would have at least held this information until you had actually communicated with someone who had died and gotten some information out of them.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 04, 2020, 09:19:51 pm »

As webadict points out, please do not edit your posts.

If you want to correct something you said, you can do a Post-Edit where you do a new post and quote yourself, correcting what you meant to say in that. Or just do another post and clarify.

If you say something truly wrong (like typing a slur by accident or the like) and really need it removed let me know. I am a moderator for this sub-forum and can edit posts.
I don't fear you, you have no power over me.
Ok, fine, I won't ban you. But only because you asked nicely.

It's mostly to get people discussing things. Consider it an exercise in machismo, if you will. One day, someone will call me out on it correctly and run my play style into the ground. Until then, it generates activity, and activity is good. They can read me more and anyone I communicate with. I consider the hit to my credibility worth it if someone can come out of the woodwork and make themselves less suspicious.

I was definitely too harsh there, Webadict is right that I was rather angry at the time (not really at the game, just life stuff) but it spilled over into the game.  A little bit of RP is fine and good, clean, flavorful fun, but it does become difficult to read when someone's entire log of posts is entirely RP, since it obscures the players voice and limits the amount of actual content they can provide to the game.  I'd like to clarify I don't want anyone to stop RPing, I'd just prefer if people interspersed it with more standard mafia play.

Luckyowl: If it means anything, I can vouch that webadict isn't trying to trick you or play verbal games with you.  While this is ultimately a competitive game, it's best if everyone has fun while playing it, especially newer players since if the game is enjoyable why stick around to play more.  And while it is a game of lies and deception, it's considered incredibly poor form to mislead new players on how to play the game because that just ruins the game for them.  While you can't trust anything else out of anyone here's mouths, you can trust the kind of general good play guidance that webadict is giving.
Good, it's nice to see you here and finally in form to compete. I agree with you. RP ain't bad as long as it contains content, and some of our RP hasn't been a fulfilling meal. But, I think this also applies a bit here. You're right to push newbies forward, but you need to also take that extra step and push your case, here and now! I expect more from you than I will from the others, so I'll be harsher.

But it's a good point that I think bears repeating though, and it makes Tricmagic look a little scummier to me for suggesting it.
Depends. How tipsy are you feeling?

You're not wrong. I haven't seen much from TricMagic, but the reason I suspect that is because, again, I believe he is 100% a power role. In fact, I would wager that he is an Agent. If anything, I think that fits with his general M/O of the game, since he can nail scum down by investigating players, so he doesn't need to worry about the Day game.

Now, here's the fun bit: Did I say that to point scum suspicion at TricMagic so that the scum kill him tonight? Is that why I claimed Sneak? If I were a Guardian, I'd be able to save Tric's life by keeping him alive, plus whatever other bonus my Guardian type gave me. Or did I say that to remove a potentially suspicious player from the scumlist, knowing full well that I am, in fact, not able to prove him with my own role? Maybe both?

...Sigh... Your ways with words are far greater than me. I am not a debater, as it is evidence in my writing. I can not trick you or trap you. I can  feel what you are doing, but I can not manifest it into words in a way that will leave baffled. I'm a sprout when it comes to this.

With no other option. I will follow...your advice: I am a medium. I can speak to the dead. That is it. That's my ability. I can't do anything now since I need  spirits to talk to.

See this is why I don't like the idea of claiming this early in the day. Mafia definitely get more information out of this reveal than town does atm. If I were you I would have at least held this information until you had actually communicated with someone who had died and gotten some information out of them.
Potentially. But, it's not the worst info to give away. I think it's really only a slight misstep on their part, but one easily recovered from, because it is easily proven true. I simply have to give each player their own codeword and have the Medium prove it after I die and type it in deadchat.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 01:36:31 am by Mephansteras »

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 04, 2020, 09:23:05 pm »

Also, let's see if I can get an Activity report working from Mamobo...

juicebox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 04, 2020, 09:29:30 pm »

Depends. How tipsy are you feeling?

You're not wrong. I haven't seen much from TricMagic, but the reason I suspect that is because, again, I believe he is 100% a power role. In fact, I would wager that he is an Agent. If anything, I think that fits with his general M/O of the game, since he can nail scum down by investigating players, so he doesn't need to worry about the Day game.

Now, here's the fun bit: Did I say that to point scum suspicion at TricMagic so that the scum kill him tonight? Is that why I claimed Sneak? If I were a Guardian, I'd be able to save Tric's life by keeping him alive, plus whatever other bonus my Guardian type gave me. Or did I say that to remove a potentially suspicious player from the scumlist, knowing full well that I am, in fact, not able to prove him with my own role? Maybe both?

That makes sense, but I think I'll still keep him in my slightly suspicious pile for now

Potentially. But, it's not the worst info to give away. I think it's really only a slight misstep on their part, but one easily recovered from, because it is easily proven true. I simply have to give each player their own codeword and have the Medium prove it after I die and type it in deadchat.

Yeah it probably isn't the worst info to give to scum, but I still prefer not to give them any more information than is strictly necessary.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #69 on: November 04, 2020, 10:21:41 pm »

I need to focus on other things/sleep, so I am withdrawing my vote of TricMagic.
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

Mamobo

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia Moderation Bot
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 04, 2020, 11:02:42 pm »

Thanks, Mamobo!

Lurker Track
------------------------
4maskwolf - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Last post was 2 hours ago.
Caz - Player has not yet posted.
juicebox - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Last post was 1 hour ago.
Luckyowl - 1 2 3 4 5 Last post was 2 hours ago.
Persus13 - 1 Last post was 11 hours ago.
roseheart - 1 2 3 4 5 6 Last post was less than an hour ago.
TricMagic - 1 2 3 4 Last post was 5 hours ago.
webadict - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Last post was 1 hour ago.
Mamobo stands for Mafia Moderation Bot! Mamobo was made by webadict to help those in need!

Mamobo hates villainy and lawlessness! Mamobo loves blueberries!

Mamobo is happy to be of use! If you'd like to improve Mamobo, please do something else instead!

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 04, 2020, 11:04:49 pm »

Well, that debugging would've been faster if I wasn't screwing around so much.

I can probably make that cleaner if you guys want, but there's a working lurker tracker. Anyway, I'm off to bed.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 04, 2020, 11:40:44 pm »

Request Replacement, if one can be found by day end. Unexpected medical stuff happened and the game deserves someone who can be active from D1. If no replacement can be found, I should be mostly back by D2.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 05, 2020, 01:36:54 am »

Oof, sorry to hear that!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 05, 2020, 02:04:04 am »

Oof, sorry to hear that!
Actually I’d like on cancel my request, it’s not assume bad as it looked and it looks like I’ll be able to play out D1 normally.

When I wake up.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 38