Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: SeaMenace, A community Ship - Back to raiding  (Read 23732 times)

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes apple trees for their fruit.
    • View Profile
Re: SeaMenace, A community Ship - Cats obtained
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2021, 12:32:41 pm »

Well, I certainly think eagles would be a fine and handsome addition to our arsenal. I've heard the humans use them for hunting, so perhaps they would serve our raiders well in combat.
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.
I love dwarven status reports.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2021, 08:51:12 pm »

I've never done it but i vaguely remember you can take animals raiding right?  Those human peasants wont know what hit em when eagles block out the sun
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2021, 09:01:27 pm »

Gotta say, this has been a fun read.  Ok, a Dwarfing and a challenge for the ship; Assign me the Dwarf with the most scholarly inclinations.  I shall be tasked with organizing the tomes that are looted, and building a great library for all to use.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2021, 09:03:07 pm »

Uh oh i sense a rivalry with spriggans.  He wants a secret library up in the crows nest, do you want one in the hold perhaps?  Or on the other mast? 
Also i take it thats a no to raiding?
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2021, 10:10:12 pm »

Send me raiding if there is a good chance of books at the target.  Practically speaking, you want 2 scholars so that discussion / debate becomes an option.  If you have only 1, you are limited to 'meditate on topic' and 'create copy of a book'.  I say build us a shared library in the hold (unless the crow's nest is the size of a deck, which kinda defeats the purpose, but I leave that to you).

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2021, 01:56:27 am »

Eagles sound like a good addition to our raid groups, also i like that I've gotten a title.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2021, 04:17:17 am »

Can eagles be war-trained? (as in...can we add the tokens?) If so, we should certainly replace our shoulder parrots with war eagles.

Immortal-D and Spriggans - the pirate equivalent to Plato and Aristotle.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2021, 04:25:31 am »

I approve the usage of Eagles !
We must train them, they are strong and smart beings.

Eagles can fly very high up ! Much higher than our boat !
Even so high that they must clearly see the Curvature of the Earth ! Which prooves Earth is round !
We MUST train Eagles FOR THE GLORY OF SCIENCE ! (and for the raid potential as well, ahem)

OOC : Sadly the wiki says eages are "Not hunting/war trainable". Maybe we can mod a little bit ? :)
They are adults at 1, and lay 1-3 eggs. So expect a slow increase in population at first.
If modding is impossible / unwanted. I'd say breed the eagles anyway and PET THEM ALL TO ME pet one to each crew member !
« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 04:29:53 am by Spriggans »
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2021, 10:12:17 am »

I already see our future

Raiding the necromancer empire
Becoming intelligent undead
Riding undead eagles as we use our supernatural intelligent undead powers to steal booty from across the lands

Here for it!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2021, 11:11:22 am »

Aye the skeleton crew...they be real skeletons.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2021, 10:55:47 pm »

AUTUMN 259

The crew seemed in agreement that eagles are better used as pets and guardians than food, so we set them up in a separate room with nest boxes, and we wait eagerly for their numbers to increase. 
Once rested and resupplied our brave raiders disembarked and set off once again, but the humans had sent a force to oppose them this time!  They intercepted them on the march.
Continuing our campaign of raiding we tried something different; when we arrived at plungesearched we just asked them to part with their valuables and skip the needless violence.
Spoiler: They chose violence (click to show/hide)
Suitably intimidated the next town folded without a fight
The next town, cakeclinch did try and fight back though, so intimidation is not gauranteed...

While the raiders were doing their work we sent a few dwarves to visit the dwarven fortress of crowdgild, to buy some cloth goods from the market there.  we also managed to gain a recruit:
Spoiler: Immortal-D (click to show/hide)
She claims to be a scholar, capable of organizing all the books we looted for our library.  Something we badly need! When I inspected the library I found one shelf with over a dozen books and all the others with one or none!  Spriggan is too busy planning his insane construction to organize these things its seems.  Of course on a ship like this no dwarf can have only one job so she is also employed as a weaponsmith, which she is already adept at.

We revisited Lionbalance, intending to end resistance forever.  The report that came back stated that they "ramapged through Lionbalance" not encountering any resistance, but when I asked if they killed anyone they awkwardly admitted they didn't actually find anyone... it seems that the handful of humans still residing there simply hide whenever we show up, well I think their resistance is broken enough.

Our two scholars Spriggan and Immortal-D also ventured out to explore the nearby monasteries while the raiders were at their work, hoping to acquire some more books through less violent means:

And that rounds up our activities for autumn.  Here's a picture of the second deck now with eagle rookery

Now we find ourselves at a crossroads again.  I don't think there's much more to be looted from around here, i omitted from my report we raided several hamlets and "found nothing". 
Do we head south?  There are the two foul towers of paintleopards and crestmatches, even on our maps their foul influence is shown to color the ocean!  This could be a very dangerous option, but nonetheless worthwhile, not just for the treasure trove of literature the towers are sure to contain but also to strike back at the undead menace.
Also if we happen to recover the secrets of life and death from these towers, do we allow the crew to read them?  Doesn't that make us just as bad as them?  Some of the crew are already discussing such things and I have to say it disturbs me...

The less exciting but safer route is to travel north along the cost, continuing much as we have been, picking on the human towns that way and then decide from there if we want to double back or where else to go
Spoiler: Possible routes (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Behind the scenes (click to show/hide)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SeaMenace, A community Ship - Resistance is crumbling
« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2021, 03:51:40 am »

Looks like our crew is ready to take on a tower so let us, and sure why not let everyone read the books and become necromancers.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2021, 08:14:10 am »

Idk about the necro boat. Necros are meh. Ghouls are cool, but very hard to turn your dwarves into them.

Becoming a werebeast boat could be more badass, but its almost impossible to sustain the boat with the accursed destroying buildings...

I'd say we wait, and we hope to find a vampire and become a vampire accursed pirate ship.
Having bloodthirtsy pirates raiding villages, only to feed off their victims is Metal ! That would make such nightmarish tales !

So, I vote, go ahead for the raiding of towers, but seal any dubious books away (ah, why not having one or two read them, why not., but not all of us)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 08:19:27 am by Spriggans »
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2021, 10:33:00 am »

Glorious!  I look forward to seeing the finished Library.  Though if the Tower is chosen, building a partition and other security within said Library would be a good idea.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2021, 11:00:41 am »

I agree to raid the tower and lock the books away!

Intelligent undead and vampires are fun to have as citizens, but necromancer citizens are so limited in how they can be used!

If we decided to go the route of ghoulification later we could always pick one of our librarians to be the necromancer to do it?

Edit: Also I vote for us to make a treasure hoard room! Display all artifacts and we can also melt down some raided metals and mint them into coins to make a giant dragon's hoard of coins and gems!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 11:15:38 am by Maloy »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11