Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 64

Author Topic: Beginner Mafia 2: BYOR Edition - Game Over!  (Read 39216 times)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner Mafia 2: BYOR Edition - Day 1: Bwuk Bwuk Little Chickens
« Reply #345 on: July 12, 2022, 09:25:05 pm »

Lidku, vote or get off the pot. I honestly tend to think the same way about d1's value, which is why I didn't push you on it way back at the beginning, but at this point there's enough information to go on. You must have some idea who you think is scum.

And yeah,
in the last BYOR game doing that is what almost led to a Town victory; the Town in that game only lost when I fell for the manipulations of Jim Groovester and believed that mechanically solving was useless.. when the whole time he was deceiving me otherwise.

I just consider mechanically solving and figuring out who did what on D2 and building off of that to be the most effective.

As I recall the opposite happened, you suspected Jim based on your intuition and his behavior, but were fooled by Jim being a Godfather who inspects as town, and he used that to gaslight you. You should have paid attention to your gut, rather than trusting the mechanics.
this definitely happened. Jim was oozing scum from every pore, but you inspected him and decided he must have been the real hero all along.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: July 12, 2022, 09:25:32 pm »

Also, Egan… buddy, I did vote. The vote count is literally right below your post. Come on.

I acknowledged this in one of my previous posts. However, at the time of my post there was a recent vote tally and it showed that you had not voted at all, which I found interesting. Your very first post of the game was just shortly after, and not out of pressure but from frustration.

This indicates to me that for the majority of D1 you hadn't voted anyone for pressure. Lidku at least gave me an explanation of his strategy for not voting for pressure, you haven't yet and I'd like to hear your thoughts. Is it good for town to spend most of D1 not voting?

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: July 12, 2022, 09:25:42 pm »

Quote from: Shakerag
From experience, scum absolutely loves to lynch (or NK) active players because active players sniff out scum.  Are you nervous that Lenglon is so aggresive?  If you were town you'd appreciate her levels of activity.

It just seems to me it's just breaking Town cohesion and trust. I'm just coming from a place of wanting the rising vitriol to just simmer down a bit. And being active and aggressive are two things, different things at that. Activity is a bonus for a Town overall, but as I broached before, wanton aggressive.. especially on D1.. is just making things messy right now. I just feel like they're is a lot of potential Town infighting going on at the moment. If I were the Mafia and Lenglon truly is Town, I'd actually dine just to leave them alive JUST for their aggression alone.

From a meta perspective, you're not really wrong.  While Lenglon -is- very active, her aggressiveness could be a point for scum to hammer about on a later day.  If I were scum, there would be good reasons to keep her alive for now, so I agree.

Personally, at this point in time I don't think Lenglon is scum, but is perhaps ... mmm ... trying too hard as town. 

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: July 12, 2022, 09:27:02 pm »

Actually, that makes me think of a thing.

Webadict:  Since we don't have "official" IC roles, if I'm dead in game can I no longer post neutral advice?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: July 12, 2022, 09:28:20 pm »

I'm not 100% comfortable with a Knightwing64 lynch, but that's mostly because they're new and, additionally, from a meta perspective I'd like them to play for longer. 

Egan_BW:  Would you summarize what is making you vote Knightwing64?

Hoping that it'll get me some substantial answers to the question I was trying to bring up in this post:
Knightwing (1x vote if that's allowed please?) and Lidku: It appears that you haven't made any votes yet this day, according to Mamobo at least. Is there a reason for this? I believe it's a good idea to use votes as pressure.

As of now his response seems to me to be a deflection, whereas Lidku's response is an actual reason, even if I don't agree with it. Thus I'm keeping my vote for the moment.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: July 12, 2022, 09:30:31 pm »

I understand, but again, beginner's game.  No need to go full super sayan here.
True, and I should have borne that in mind and not used so much vitriol. That was unnecessary to make my point.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: July 12, 2022, 09:31:15 pm »

I normally wait to vote till there is somewhat of a consensus or I strongly suspect someone.

You can see this in all of my other games.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #352 on: July 12, 2022, 09:32:21 pm »

in the last BYOR game doing that is what almost led to a Town victory; the Town in that game only lost when I fell for the manipulations of Jim Groovester and believed that mechanically solving was useless.. when the whole time he was deceiving me otherwise.

I just consider mechanically solving and figuring out who did what on D2 and building off of that to be the most effective.

As I recall the opposite happened, you suspected Jim based on your intuition and his behavior, but were fooled by Jim being a Godfather who inspects as town, and he used that to gaslight you. You should have paid attention to your gut, rather than trusting the mechanics.

That was only because due to me being a Noob, I didn't even know about Godfather or what the role did. If I knew about it in a prior instance, I would have lied and said that my Inpsect on him had read as Mafia anyway: the tactic being that "damned if I'm wrong, but good if I'm right" type of situation. Mechanics in that game was how Town even came somewhat close to victory.

Anyways, since I'm being pressured to vote, I'll put one on FallacyofUrist. I just find him kinda shady, but nothing truly strong..

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: July 12, 2022, 09:33:04 pm »

Also, all "pressure voting" does is input stabs in the dark and just make Town jumpy against one another. I don't really see the effectiveness of it, considering how little D1 anyone can possibly go off of.

to be fair, pressure voting has a place, but it is mostly effective on inexperienced players (and maybe sometimes scum).  Trying to put a pressure vote on, say, someone like webadict would be totally ineffectual. 

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: July 12, 2022, 09:33:28 pm »

I normally wait to vote till there is somewhat of a consensus or I strongly suspect someone.

Ok. Why?
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: July 12, 2022, 09:33:55 pm »

Webadict:  Since we don't have "official" IC roles, if I'm dead in game can I no longer post neutral advice?
I see no problem in any players offering advice while dead, so long as all advice is completely neutral.  I also have no problems with other forumgoers posting advice for players as well.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: July 12, 2022, 09:34:31 pm »

I'd suggest you go with the latter.  The former can appear scummy because you're just trying to hide your vote in the majority.  If you actually think the person with the majority number of votes is scum it is always the best idea to vote with reasons. 

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: July 12, 2022, 09:34:47 pm »

Ok. Why?

Dunno. It’s just something I’ve always done.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: July 12, 2022, 09:35:46 pm »

I see no problem in any players offering advice while dead, so long as all advice is completely neutral.  I also have no problems with other forumgoers posting advice for players as well.

I'd like to propose dead/outside players post advice in double brackets [[like so]] so as to indicate said neutral advice.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: July 12, 2022, 09:37:41 pm »

Ok. Why?

Dunno. It’s just something I’ve always done.
I don't know is a perfectly valid response. If you don't know why you do things then you don't, and there's nothing more to say on the subject.
Unvote
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 64