Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 64

Author Topic: Beginner Mafia 2: BYOR Edition - Game Over!  (Read 35100 times)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner Mafia 2: BYOR Edition - Day 1: Bwuk Bwuk Little Chickens
« Reply #420 on: July 13, 2022, 12:13:11 pm »

Out of curiosity, what’s your impression of my usual behaviors and tells?
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: July 13, 2022, 12:14:44 pm »

I don't know, as indicated by the fact that I haven't expressed much suspicion. Nobody's acting much differently than I'd expect based on their personality.
This should itself affect who you suspect. Can you tell me which players you should view with more suspicion under that premise?
Well, Fallacy of course. being that the normal behavior I've seen before from him is as scum.
Heh, I meant "veterans who are better at faking their normal selves", but yes, that's actually a great point.

Of course, it applies to you too. :P

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: July 13, 2022, 12:15:46 pm »

Oh, and.

If you think I’m suspicious, why aren’t you voting me? It’s not hammer if you vote me, don’t worry, just one off.

I guess that’s good enough of a reason, but it doesn’t change the fact that you’re still not really hunting at all.

Don’t you have questions to ask of me, or at least a sharp blue FoS prod?
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: July 13, 2022, 12:16:31 pm »

Max was mostly a pressure vote to get him to actually interact or get lynched. Hence why I didn't want to answer Lenglon's questions on it. The other two are inactivity blues making them look like they're lurking, and Lidku not looking good either.
Next time please include reasons, as you saw, Max got up to -1 Hammer during that, and your vote was just a bandwagon vote, pressure or not. Also, including reasons in your pressure votes makes them apply a lot more effective pressure.
Fun.. As of right now at this post, I'm leaning towards an Egan/Fal team.
Tric: Why?

/... Fal's latest post are good I guess. Still, after reading everything..

- Egan_BW: Egan's mostly been participating. But also playing rather fast and loose with their doublevote. Crucially, this is because they don't want to be the hammering vote. That would effectively draw suspicions down on them hard, but being Omega-Miller is definitely something you should either claim from day start or not at all. (Reasoning being that webadict is punishing mechanical claims.)
- FallacyofUrist: Fallacy remains a Fallacy, can't read them as anything other than scum-lean.
- Knightwing64: Knightwing continues to have one key issue, not able to generate quality posts during the few times he does post. The lack of actionable information or arguments makes them look scummy, but not actually useful as a tell.
- Lenglon: The hyper-aggressiveness isn't good. But their actions, arguments, and focus tells me they're town. That and I do actually have some idea of her personality, I think.
- Lidku: ... I don't actually have much to say, Lidku hasn't really impacted me. That's not a good thing given the machine-gun like reading.
- Maximum Spin: Actually pushing now, town-lean.
- NJW2000: Notable in quality posts lately, if not in great numbers. Unlike Lidku, they did impact me.
- Shakerag: Drunk or not, Shakerag has mostly taken the lead on posts meant to guide new players, and in between that mostly made a number of arguments and votes. I'm fairly confident this is Town-Shakerag.
- TricMagic: In which I go to play Minecraft for a bit.

Putting everything together, my vote would be for either Egan or Lidku.
Thank you for posting this, it helps a lot for getting a quick evaluation of your mindset.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #424 on: July 13, 2022, 12:17:07 pm »

Of course I'm making random stabs at people who are most likely town. most of the players here are town, and there's only two scum. There is nothing wrong with taking stabs at town players, up to a certain limit (and that limit is higher on Day 1 than it is on later days). The point of it all is to force people to be engaged and demonstrate what they think and especially WHY they think it. It tells you what behaviors are normal, and what behaviors are not. It tells you how invested players are in the process of finding the mafia. It shows who has doubts, concerns, questions, and generally is lacking information. Because the only people here that have the information they need, are the scumteam.

Additionally, the way I've been behaving on Day 1 is not how I plan to behave on Day 2 or later. It took an insane amount of work and investment, but the point of everything I was doing today was to establish the personalities and thought processes behind each of the usernames. On Day 2 and later, if I kept being this aggro for stuff this minor, it would be a problem, you're correct. But on Day 2, we're going to have a lot more mechanical information, and because of the Day 1 groundwork, we can combine that mechanical information with the personalities and behaviors shown during Day 1. Remember, on Day 2 we're probably going to have two different flips we can feed into our understanding of things. You should actually expect a shift in everyone's behavior tomorrow, and you will want to look at what has changed and attempt to figure out why it's changed. But if that groundwork didn't exist, you wouldn't have a baseline to compare against. That's the point of Day 1, establishing that baseline. For example, lets say that we lynch me today, and I flip scum. Well in that case you might want to look at who I gave free passes to on Day 1. Maybe I broke off a sequence of questions without following through on one particular person. Maybe I lept to the defense of someone that was having trouble defending themselves. If Scum!Lenglon played all of Day 1 perfectly then you won't find anything useful that way, but the more content there is to go through, the more chances Scum!Lenglon had to make mistakes. And nobody is perfect. Heck, maybe Scum!Lenglon isn't the one that made the mistake, maybe her scumbuddy did, and Scum!Lenglon might have tried to compensate for it! On top of that, you'll also get to compare everyone else's behavior shift after Scum!Lenglon flips. Maybe the scumbuddy will become more cautious because they're alone. Maybe they'll become more reckless. How would you know which to look for? Well, that would require having a basic understanding of the personalities of people wouldn't it? So compare to the Day 1 baseline. once again.

Day 1 is very difficult to handle in general because there is so little information to work with, and the Day 1 lynch almost never catches scum (and if you're going to policy-lynch someone, Day 1 is the time to do it as a result), but it's still actually a very important Day, just one that can't be mechanically solved in any meaningful way.

This was an insightful post and has really elaborated your work-process on D1, even though I still don't fully agree with it (particularly making the other players angry in a full-length capacity). It coincides along with some saying that the social aspect of the game is important as well, which I was admittedly neglecting (which is the cause of me being perceived as "passive" by others) for only wanting to focus on the mechanical part. Both aspects are important to take note of, but next time in another game of BYOR on a D1, I'll be much less aggressive and go for a calmer inquisitorial style; nothing too crazy.

While I found FallacyofUrist's Miller (and Egan's) claims to be suspicious, I don't have any strong particular suspicions against them. And taking Fallacy's own advice, I'm going to put a vote on TricMagic, for reasons quoted below:

I just choose randomly between the two, but again, my vote (hopefully) isn't meant to get involved in a direct lynch. I know that sounds iffy, but it is at least better than a No Lynch vote.. which was something you put out TricMagic, but then funnily enough withdrawn to put a vote on me suddenly?

Quote from: TricMagic
K, so very late to this thread today. And a lot to read. Tomorrow morning.

... or now I'd just move to No Lynch if possible, and recontextualize tomorrow.

If you wanted to wait until tomorrow (which is today IRL-wise), why put in a random no vote like that? Why not just pop-in, say that you're going to post for tomorrow, and leave it at that? Why that random no lynch vote? Really strange...

Putting a vote on FallacyofUrist helps alleviate the calls from others for me to "vote" for someone.

If I didn't think you were a clueless newbie a statement like that is incredibly scummy.  Either way, my read on you is leaning scummier as the day has gone on.

At best your passivity is a detriment to town.  At worst you're scum trying to fly under the radar by not standing out.

And doing an outright No Lynch vote isn't scummy? You were one of the firsts to call out on TricMagic that doing that was a bad idea. 

I'm just finding his behavior and strange haphazard activity (that is either inactive or active, but primarily the former) suspicious at the moment.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't help but push your luck, can you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: July 13, 2022, 12:23:57 pm »

Oh, and.

If you think I’m suspicious, why aren’t you voting me? It’s not hammer if you vote me, don’t worry, just one off.

I guess that’s good enough of a reason, but it doesn’t change the fact that you’re still not really hunting at all.

Don’t you have questions to ask of me, or at least a sharp blue FoS prod?

too lazy. ~7 hours left, I'll see if I'm more awake later.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: July 13, 2022, 12:38:15 pm »

Jesus. I’m not going to bother responding to Lenglons text wall of mangled logic and misrepresentation. Max actually got my point, he just didn’t think the event I considered low probability was that unlikely. I don’t know why this is so hard for you Lenglon, but I’m really not interested in engaging with someone who responds so emotionally and with such little respect for other players. Given you thought I was someone else the whole game, I don’t really feel obliged to explain things to you.

Pfp

@FoU: yeah, that was your point on Egan, I hadn’t spotted it and acknowledged it was interesting after you posted it. It is the most dubious thing about their play today, aside from the miller stuff. I never claimed it was my point, and you making it doesn’t mean it’s wrong, regardless of alignment. This is a weak prod at me.

As to my case on you: sorry, but I think it’s good enough to vote on. It’s ironic that you tell me not to outguess the mod, given the last role you gave me was entirely about doing that. As for your other play… you’re decent at mafia, so the “you stole my idea” attack was about as weak as you’ll get. The miller stuff is simply the most important thing today, and it’s what I’m voting on.
One wheel short of a wagon

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: July 13, 2022, 12:42:27 pm »

Kicks feet about. Lidku, you can't lynch me. I'm perfectly willing to reveal my entire role today. Are you going to force the issue?

I was about to vote Egan now that we've established your own thoughts. Also, that No Lynch s going to prove very informative day 2.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: July 13, 2022, 12:49:03 pm »

We’re not no-lynching.

NJW: Does my non-claim behavior support your case? I’m expecting a yes or no answer here.
Generic Arms Race.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #429 on: July 13, 2022, 12:54:38 pm »

Kicks feet about. Lidku, you can't lynch me. I'm perfectly willing to reveal my entire role today. Are you going to force the issue?

I wouldn't be the only one lynching you, it would be two others as well. Also, if you feel the need to reveal your role to get votes of you, please feel free to do so and not stall.

I was about to vote Egan now that we've established your own thoughts.

Can you make sense of what you mean here?

You were apparently going to vote Egan, but went for me instead, but now that I've suddenly "established" my thoughts (something of which I was doing before regardless, in the game) you were going to switch to Egan...? But no that I've voted you, you will have a vote remain on me?

I'm just confused by the wording there...

Also, that No Lynch s going to prove very informative day 2.

How does a No Lynch vote be informative? And what purpose does it even have in the current context, since you've switch your no lynch to vote for me... it would have no informative value for a D2, since it won't be in play anymore.

Yeah, I find that TricMagic is acting really strange at the moment.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: July 13, 2022, 12:56:27 pm »

We’re not no-lynching.

NJW: Does my non-claim behavior support your case? I’m expecting a yes or no answer here.
Do you mean your late claim, or the claimed thing you shouldn’t claim that explains it? Both slightly, I’d say.
One wheel short of a wagon

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: July 13, 2022, 12:57:06 pm »

We’re not no-lynching.

I mean, obviously?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't help but push your luck, can you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: July 13, 2022, 01:04:18 pm »

Current conspiracy theory: mafia knows that my omega-miller claim is true. They might also want to mafiakill a double voter. If that's true, they know that I'll roleflip as omega miller, and might want to capitalize on that by making a similar claim to fit in.

...Nah, doesn't really make sense, does it? And I don't know how dangerous double voting is from the mafia's perspective. Could someone TM me whether my power would be likely to get me targetted by mafia as town?
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: July 13, 2022, 01:09:43 pm »

We’re not no-lynching.

Do you mean your late claim, or the claimed thing you shouldn’t claim that explains it? Both slightly, I’d say.
No, I mean my behavior which has nothing to do with my claim. Behavior that is not in the category of claim-related. Does that support your vote on me, and if so, why? Please provide direct quotes if possible.
Generic Arms Race.

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: July 13, 2022, 01:16:19 pm »

Um. I just woke up and I have a bit of a headache, can someone tell me the gist of what’s going on so I don’t have to read through multiple walls of text, please?  :-[
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 64