Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Endedtreasure: The Anti-Museum - come destroy artifacts!  (Read 10906 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: Endedtreasure: The Anti-Museum - come destroy artifacts!
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2023, 07:56:20 am »

Okay, front page is fixed and updated! Never posted it, but...

Rafkil the Rascal never earned any points from crushing artifacts, deferring to ambition over temperance.  Of course, she earned 7 points for killing woodland creatures. +1 for the capybara folk added to the world, and -1 for the capybara hunting, you monster.

The point system is fun, but was also what killed this thread for me - trying to work out Uso's score without notes and no Legends Viewer (not on linux and doesn't work well on wine) was too big a task for a simple dingoman like myself. Legends Browser /does/ work, and actually has a decent enough artifact tab that it's easy, but meticulous, to check every book, scroll, and artifact. I updated the artifact list and we can see Uso actually crushed many of the weapon artifacts. We've got a lot of book to crush, boys, so get out there and earn yourself some eternity!

No updated save necessary, I'll wait until my turn and add a bit onto Endedtreasure then - some offices and noble assignments, at least, so get your kooky animal people administrators in while you can. I put Sal above me in the queue, but when the time comes, we'll see which of us is free.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2023, 09:31:29 am »

Ok, I'll get started tomorrow with capybara artifact & book crushing!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2023, 09:49:29 pm »

looking forward to these next turns. looking at the rules, does the 2x modifier for self-crushing still stand? how morbid and also competitive! haha

uhm, along the lines of your post Delphonso, is there a tell who is a 'historical figure' besides legendsbrowser research? which is fine but like you said, somewhat tedious.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2023, 10:13:44 pm »

As for that, I just check the vanilla legends screen. Every notable kill is a negative and every other kill is a positive. I honestly can't remember my reasoning.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2023, 04:48:10 am »

The Book Hating Dwarf

Orbtouched. A dwarven hillocks in the Dead Hills, just north of the mountains of the Erased Tower. Ruled by the Gray Iron of the Prime Angelic Urn, it is a small place with some dozens living there. A rather unremarkable place when you get to it, really.

...Well, there is that one worm man, Writhe Eatdirt, who now is the local sheriff, and perhaps without him there would be no story concerning a certain dwarf named Urist Trottedsacks that would be worth telling.

Yes, it is with Urist that our story begins. A simple -- and I mean simple -- miner from Orbtouched, tough and strong, who simply does not get what is so great about art. Why would anyone like something so boring when there are more interesting things, like, let's say fighting?

But fighting or becoming a legendary warrior is not the motivation here, no. It is the fact that Urist sees the attainment of knowledge as unimportant. Particulary books are something he does not understand. In fact, he hates them. And this, mind you, certainly has nothing to do with his inability to read or his supposedly low intellect. No. Books are just stupid. Only people with nothing proper to do read books.

So when Urist heard from the worm man sheriff Writhe of a place called Endedtreasure, and how they seek to destroy art and books, you can imagine how excited he got.

And that is where we jump in, as Urist is preparing to leave his home, head out into the large world (well, actually it isn't that large) and destroy all the books.

Urist Trottedsacks finished donning on his copper and bronze armor, slinging his pick and pack on his back. He looked at the dwarves and goblin gathered in the hillock and bode them farewell. It was time he headed out to seek artifact and book so that they might be destroyed in the place called Endedtreasure.

Urist decided to head first west, for he knew there was the monastery of Orbdaub there and plenty of others after it. And monasteries were places where lived monks, and said monks too often spent their time writing books. The very thought of the smelly parchments or musty papers disgusted him.

Urist went through all the buildings of the monastery finding absolutely nothing. He climbed up to the upper levels of the temple and looked down from the walkway. Orbdaub was a dreadful place: instead of grass wormy tendrils sprung up from the ground writhing and lashing out at your feet and disgusting staring eyeballs grew everywhere.

The monastery was also a waste of time. It made Urist angry.

In his anger and frustration Urist kicked a rubicelle statue depicting Asėn, the god of metals and minerals -- the chosen deity of the would-be book destroyer.

Oh my. In his rage he forgot that gods don't tend to like it when their places of worship are desecrated.

Now Urist was cursed and he felt a strange thirst grow in him.

As the cursed dwarf prepared to continue his journey to the west, he saw several humans lying on the ground at the outskirts of the monastery. But as soon as he began to approach them, from seemingly out of nowhere a large charcoal-feathered humanoid with stubby horns shambled with great speed towards him!

The monster appeared to be terribly wounded, but none of the gaping wounds seemed to hinder it!

Urist grabbed his pick firmly in his hand and put his buckler in front of him. He was ready to do battle.

It was a surprisingly quick battle: Urist easily dodged the blows of the creature, hit it several times in its legs and finally dealt a decisive blow with his bronze pick to the head, cleaving it asunder.

He then went to the humans on the ground and realized that they were dead -- probably victims of the beast he put down.

Urist visited village after village in the west, but they were all empty except for walking dead. At first they frightened him and he was certain he'd have to fight, but for some reason they were not interested in him at all. Little did Urist know that his curse was the cause of it and that he himself was now an undead monstrosity.

His travels took him eventually all the way to the monastery of Beautyfair.

Finally, luck was with Urist: there were quite a few books to be found in the temple! Urist picked the disgusting tomes in his shaking hands and crammed them into his backpack. He did not pay mind to the human pilgrim who looked curiously at what he was doing.

A few more books and a piece of art or two was all that he still needed before he would head to Endedtreasure. Certainly on the way there he would run into some, so he made no proper plans for a route.

But many had mentioned a place called Urnshoot and how there was this and that artifact, so that was a place he would have to take a peek in.

On his way to the east Urist visited the tomb of Frecklestops. It was not much of a place really: one large building with winding passages, corpses and bags littered everywhere, and a smaller building also full of corpses.

Oh, and there were many traps. But Urist avoided them.

Still, it was not a waste of time to visit the place. He found a scroll and a book in the smaller tomb.

The journey east towards Endedtreasure continued.  Urist passed several hamlets and monasteries, but there was not much of interest there. One thing he noticed during his travel was that no matter how fast he walked or even ran, he did not seem to tire. Nightfall meant nothing for him: he could easily walk through the night and still be refreshed in the morning. And food and drink. That was something he did not feel like having, though, to be fair, a mug of good dwarven wine would've done good.

Eventually he came to the ruins of the fortress Earthenglazed.

There he saw a curious fellow at the trade depot. A dwarf missing his right eye and a hollow, empty stare in his left one. An intelligent undead.

But what grabbed Urist's attention was the almond wood iwo -- a stringed instrument -- that the fellow carried.

Urist demanded the item. The dwarf didn't react.

Urist demanded again. No reaction. Another demand. And another. No use.

So Urist swung his pick at him.

Oops. That wasn't a smart move, now was it Urist?

Urist fell on the ground after the damned undead cast a spell on him! But he managed to dodge and block the blows of his enemy and landed a mighty strike with his pick that tore off the right lower leg of him.

The undead banged Urist on his shield with the instrument and as Urist began panicking, he swung wildly at the cursed slayer's head.

The head flew in an arc. Done. The undead was dead and now Urist had a piece of art.

Travel over the mountains was dreadfully boring. So Urist ran. He ran all the way.

Killing many a mountain goat and wolverine on the way.

On the other side of the mountains was Urnshoot, another dwarven fortress. Urist would have gone past it, but he remembered that quite a few people had mentioned that the place was loaded with artifacts. So he went to check.

But he found none. Only horrifying demons and suspicious folk.

Then he saw a holy man, a Holy Oblivion. Carrying a book. So he demanded the book. The Holy Oblivion refused. So he hit him in the belly with his pick.

The Holy Oblivion finally dropped the book and now it was Urist's to take.

On his way out Urist saw a gelded dwarf in one of the hallways.

He did not know that this was the same dwarf that a certain chinchilla man had seen when he visited the place.

Night fell as Urist arrived at the hillocks of Glovedgrooved. He went to check the mounds in search of a mug of wine, but when he came to one mound and he saw dwarves sleeping, a new kind of thirst woke in him. He did not crave for plump helmet wine, but the wine pumping in the veins of the dwarves!

He was careless as he began sucking the blood from one dwarf. All in the room did not sleep and someone saw what he was doing.

But Urist did not mind. He continued drinking until he was full.

Not long after his first experiences in bloodsucking, Urist lay dead in the middle of nowhere, a towering darkling beetle demon next to his mangled corpse.

Urist had become quite too confident of his new strength, so he had went to investigate some movement in the north, just south of a goblin pits. It was his final mistake.

An ambush with a demon he could not outrun.

It caught him and kicked the vampiric dwarf miner into smithereens.

And so ends the tale of Urist Trottedsacks, a tale not really worthy telling.

=====

Decided to go for a dwarf since I almost never play them in adventure mode. It was funny that the first name the game suggested was Urist Trottedsacks, so of course I went with it.

My plan wasn't actually to make Urist a vampire. For some reason I forgot what happens if you topple a statue in the temple of your worshipped deity. But hey, at least it made it super easy to visit all those undead infested hellholes in the west.

Then I got cocky and Urist paid for my sins.

Here's the save:

https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16760

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2023, 05:06:31 am »

I see you once again went for the gelded dwarf bonus. Sal, you free for a turn or should I take it?

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2023, 05:10:44 am »

I see you once again went for the gelded dwarf bonus.

Ran into him by accident as I was leaving and couldn't resist mentioning the poor fellow once again.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 26, 2023, 12:06:03 pm »

let me play today!! I'm down for an adventure, though I usually die to dingos or other petty wildlife

The monastery was also a waste of time. It made Urist angry.

In his anger and frustration Urist kicked a rubicelle statue depicting Asėn, the god of metals and minerals -- the chosen deity of the would-be book destroyer.

Oh my. In his rage he forgot that gods don't tend to like it when their places of worship are desecrated.

Now Urist was cursed and he felt a strange thirst grow in him.

haha brilliant. The monks will troll you with their sacred statues.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2023, 12:08:37 pm by Salmeuk »

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 26, 2023, 02:45:42 pm »

I'm down for an adventure, though I usually die to dingos or other petty wildlife

There's a ton of undead all around the world and there were some dead dingos at Endedtreasure, so with luck you'll run into undead dingos.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2023, 07:37:30 pm »

Urist "Anti-Librarian" Trottedsacks, of Orbtouched:
Books and Artifacts destroyed: 0
Woodland creatures hunted: 27
Notable kills:
Libash Pagedthroat: -1
Edzul Voiceoar: -1

The Grapeless Blessing of Gripes: 1.5x

Rounded up: 38 points! Somehow, the newest high score!

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 27, 2023, 01:57:10 am »

Rounded up: 38 points! Somehow, the newest high score!

Haha, didn't expect that. Someone might say that the scoring system is broken, but me, I say it's just perfect.

Next character: someone who really, really hates woodland critters.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 27, 2023, 02:10:36 am »

The rules can and will change if more artifacts are not destroyed. This is a threat.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 27, 2023, 04:39:25 am »

Who needs to destroy artifacts when you can murder your way to the top of the leader board.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 27, 2023, 03:17:56 pm »

My name? Erib. My associates call me Knifeweight. I emerged from the boiling primordial mud of the misasmatic farlands, half of me wanting to fly with black wings, the other half to walk on bare earth. I grew up alone in the wilderness until I arrived in this small region where I found work as a hunter of rare, wild animals.

No, no, I never kill for pleasure, only for sustenance, whether that be mine or those that I live with.

For pleasure, I destroy things of great value. A much needed humbling for their owners, I think, and a reminder that all before you arose from the forever-mud at the edge of our universe, and all before you will return to that mud, with time.

also i like to fight

With three bronze spears and a backpack full of alpaca sweetbread, I took flight.

==========================

I spotted a lair, guarded by a very overweight eagle. . no one was home.

Then, an ambush! Giant alligator starved, lost in the woods, could easily fly away, but I wanted to test my strength and turned to fight.

Apparently, this alligator had a name - Bigdroplet the Brutal Scales... oof

anyways, quickly onward now... WAIT I FORGOT MY SPEARS fuuuu

=========================

I continued to the monastery. I smelled parchment. Books. Ugh. The first house was full of fat humans. They were talking about dwarves and their cave adaptation. . disgusting topics for disgusting creatures!

I then flew down into a water-filled shrine and found five books just sitting there, useless, and smelly. I grabbed them all and quickly absconded.

Outside the monastery, I saw a corpse in the woods, shambling back the way he came. A quick fight saw the undead creature turned to mush, and I found on the body a crossbow with bolts. Amazing!

Over the next hill, the trees thinned, revealing a village full of corpses.... I was quick enough to fly over their heads and swoop down to the door, peering inside. . .

at least, I thought I was quick enough. A stupid miscalculation in timing allowed the corpses to get a single, lucky strike in, wounding my leg with a bronze carving knife... grounding me... and so ending me. My decaying corpse and the five stolen books now sit there at the edge of Satinymeadow, or Smenreethba.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

How am I narrating this, if I'm already dead? Well. The real question is, listener, how are you hearing me talk, then, hmmmm? wooooooo spoooookyyyyyyyyy

====

Erib:

-killed one named alligator
-killed one undead
-stole five books but failed to return them, confident as I was
-was a bird man

save here: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16761

yet another failed adventurer lol

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 27, 2023, 03:24:35 pm »

My decaying corpse and the five stolen books now sit there at the edge of Satinymeadow, or Smenreethba.

Haha, you met the same fate in the same place as the kea woman Rįkfil Alegladness. There should be quite the number of books lying around there now. :D
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6