Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49]

Author Topic: Waterlures - A Capybara Man Fortress & Adventure [DF 0.47.05]  (Read 73051 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Waterlures - A Capybara Man Fortress & Adventure [DF 0.47.05]
« Reply #720 on: June 11, 2024, 04:35:54 am »

That reminds me that I really should do more legends diving when I play the game, as with out it it seems like I'm missing out on most of what the game has to offer.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: June 14, 2024, 05:53:04 am »

Small update on progress:

I've read/skimmed through the story (took quite a bit of doing). Made some notes of what's happened so far and what plans have been left unfinished. Other than that, I've retired the adventurers at Waterlures, brought Rin back (there'll be no report of the journey, but here's what happened briefly: traveled across the lands without stopping and got into a couple of fights with giant coyotes & wolves. So, nothing Rin couldn't handle). There were some folks missing from Waterlures, but I brought a couple back. Also some random prophet was listed as a hostile, so I unretire-anyone'd him and made him retire at Waterlures.

Currently I'm doing the tedious unretire stuff. That is, reassigning all bedrooms, dining rooms, offices, rebuilding scattered cabinets & chests, and a whole lot of other stuff. So, this'll likely take a day or two depending on my mood. Hopefully I'll get to actual play during the weekend.

Population is around ~135 at the moment and we have plenty of empty rooms. Our adventurers who just arrived will be counted as long-term residents and gain citizenship after two years, so I can't assign any of them to any squads before that. Probably they'll just hang out in a pub and wait.

Here's some unfinished plots/things/whatever as a reminder:

• building sewers (this has been hinted at since 376, but the plans didn't ever come to fruition)
  • Åblel Sprinklegorge found a candy cane in the cavern that he has kept secret (and is obsessed with)
  • the outpost liaison Tirist gave an order that Waterlures must provide weapons and stone blocks to the Mountaihome (year 377)
  • citizens are still unaware of the fate of Suwu, Cañar, Ova and Rin, but they've heard several stories of them
  • goblin sieges began in 382 and the Fence of Amusement/Ustuth Ïdath is currently at war with three goblin realms (Hell of Miseries, Cunning Witch and Tight Torments)
  • Stukos Matchedsabres is still the baron of Waterlures (doesn't live there), but (most) citizens see Oddom (Kasat's son) as the true baron

If there's anything particular you'd like to see, feel free to suggest.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: June 14, 2024, 01:25:19 pm »

I'd love to see little glimpses of how citizens have been doing. No one in particular, but just these small recaps of how their lives have gone and maybe how a few of them view events of the outside world

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: June 15, 2024, 12:53:54 am »

I'd love to see little glimpses of how citizens have been doing. No one in particular, but just these small recaps of how their lives have gone and maybe how a few of them view events of the outside world

Yeah, I'm definitely going to do that. Since there's nothing much to build and/or dig (at least before we get in to sewer business), there's plenty of time to just follow citizens and see what's going on and how they're feeling.

So, I managed to get most of the unretire hassle done yesterday and start actual play. There's probably still problems with old food stockpiles, but I can redo them while playing. I had a bit of a FPS scare: it dropped to the single digits at one point from 20-30. But I guess it had something to do with caverns and everyone wanting to head into the maze at once to pick up old corpses and livestock that had scattered there. Now FPS is back to 30-40, which is much better than with my old laptop, and more than enough (I actually prefer it being around 25-30).

I'm keeping invaders off for at least the cleaning up business, but might keep them off until the end of the year. There'll still be cavern wildlife that can be a danger, but no FBs, (semi)megabeasts, sieges, etc.

Anyways, most likely an update will be up at some point next week (unless I run into unexpected issues).

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: June 15, 2024, 04:16:03 am »

I to like the updates where you follow random towns folk around and see what they're doing.

Also sewers sound like an interesting addition, anything fun planned for them?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: June 15, 2024, 06:18:10 am »

Also sewers sound like an interesting addition, anything fun planned for them?

Nothing much really. I made a draft of them before the long adventure, so I have some kind of idea where they'll go. Nothing big, just a few canals and walkways around them. Probably relatively deep (for Waterlures, that is), so that they can go under the small dwarf quarters we have. They sewers will be connected to the lake and then drain into the caverns if needed. Not going to have a constant water flow.

But we'll see what will come of it once we're there.

MaiseNow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: June 17, 2024, 12:15:20 pm »

bob, I don't have anything really to say other than praise for your dedication to the story of these capybarafolk. This is a LOT of effort (both technical and creative) and it shows in the best way through your art and your dialogue writing. Thank you for having so much fun with this for so long. It's a nice pleasant read about an interesting fort, and though the adventure mode stuff sounds tedious to re-configure after returning to Waterlures, I love the elements it adds to your storytelling.

Anyways, just figured you'd appreciate some praise for your efforts. Carry on. :D

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: Today at 01:11:35 am »

Thanks!

It's always nice to hear that the lives and adventures of the capybara folk bring enjoyment to others and not just me. :)

While the way I've been playing is sometimes a bit tedious, it's been worth it. Never been so attached to a fort (and world) this much.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49]