Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 113

Author Topic: FBYOR 5 - Game Over - Learning From Disaster, As All Ends In Fire And Darkness  (Read 58832 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: FBYOR 5 (12 / 14) - Day 2 - Awakening To Darker Tides
« Reply #720 on: October 19, 2022, 05:22:13 pm »

Arr, I should be curled up in me hammock, but I'm popping on deck to raise a few points o' order.

- That damnable doodle Toony is right that claims don't absolutely clear or not clear players. Argh, BUT I remember in the last game where I was scum, I made the argument that no claims could ultimately be trusted due to double actors precisely because too many of the claims were mutually-confirming for me liking. We've got time though, and I will o' course be looking at the players and what they been up to today before the dusk falls on this good ship.

- NJW's list of people on the Roden wagon is a barrel of sour ale. He says that the ole cap'n here has bad D1 analysis, when this blistering buccaneer can't even distinguish between true wagon votes and last second votes added to prevent a tie. I didn't want Roden dead, but I said I'd get in and break the 4/4 tie and I did (and were cut to the quick by a few others as I were posting).

- Nakeen, of course I can tie meself to main mast to be flogged for making dumb mistakes all ye like. But what earthly reason would I have for making a fool o' meself like that? More to the point, Firstmate EuchreJack confirms I used that very power that night. Not that I have the power (he didn't pick up on me other tricks) but that I used the power. So it's a crock o' bilge water you be trying to serve up there, and that's no mistake this time. I'm more confirmed than anyone.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: FBYOR 5 (12 / 14) - Day 2 - In which Webadict is outed as Obvscum
« Reply #721 on: October 19, 2022, 05:27:43 pm »

What's your reasoning for not voting Yesterday?
I went to bed as the main elim with under twelve hours to go iirc, and was pretty sure that my flip would out scum if I didn't give them anything else use, because the cases on me were garbage. I took the votes off TolyK to put more pressure on the people voting me for bad reasons, and didn't have somewhere else I wanted to put them. I could have done an essentially meaningless vote on you or something for your terrible case on me, but that would have been an OMGUS vote, which is often taken as a valid reason to elim someone.

Also, the last third of D1, including two players showing up, happened when I basically wasn't there. So yep, availability played a part in it.

Anyway, why was me not voting that helpful? Well, let's look at the entire case you tried to elim me on:

In summary:
 - you disagree with my reads (no explanation)
 - lied that I was claiming TolyK was definitely scum (I know you're too smart to actually read the thread, but still scummy)
 - yelled that anyone who scumread you for chainsaw defending Tric was scum (such as Roden, but you did insult lots of people so you were definitely right!)

So lies, unsubstantiated nonsense, and the fact that I called you out on something. This was your entire case, and what you wanted to eliminate on.

Of course, when I clammed up and simply said "fine, elim me, but look at the cases people built", people backed waaaay off. Specifically you and Toony.

Now the case you tried to elim Roden on.

Spoiler: Web on Roden (click to show/hide)
It looks more like read progression an actual case! Enough that Web is willing to vote someone out with it. It is, however, very flimsy. Take a look at any of those reasons. Are any of them reasonable?

More than half of it was apparently a metaread based on a single game. This when Tric, EJ and I could all townread Roden. I know some people here haven't played with him, but for those who have, it wasn't difficult. scum!Roden's ATEs are petulant and textwally, and his scum!D1s are generally calm and composed. I saw it. Toony saw it but voted him anyway... moving on.

You also tried to eliminate TolyK without admitting you thought he was scum, and all around evaded any responsibility for the elim on the basis that you know, it was hard and you were tired. And yelled for people to elim you when they really weren't going to. It looks a lot like scum searching for a D1 schmuck that isn't one of their buddies, and trying to avoid pressure the next day.

There have been a lot of complaints about me not using my votes. I think there are other ways to find scum, but people also say I'm stubborn.

webadict webadict

Now that the boring bit is out of the way, here's what I'd like to know.

Why was your case on me sufficient justification for an elim?

What exactly about Roden's play was so much like this game that you voted him out on it, despite him playing against his general scum meta?
One wheel short of a wagon

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: October 19, 2022, 05:41:31 pm »

From the current claims Maximum Spin died to the MafiaKill, as webadict tried to kill Jim but couldn't due to a redirection on a not!Soaked target.
Incorrect.  Jim didn't die because he was targeted by TricMagic and NJW2000, which causes him to Roleblock his target instead.

Also, I would've had to triple action to Mafiakill.  I just want that cleared up, and because I'm cool like that.

Arr, I should be curled up in me hammock, but I'm popping on deck to raise a few points o' order.

- That damnable doodle Toony is right that claims don't absolutely clear or not clear players. Argh, BUT I remember in the last game where I was scum, I made the argument that no claims could ultimately be trusted due to double actors precisely because too many of the claims were mutually-confirming for me liking. We've got time though, and I will o' course be looking at the players and what they been up to today before the dusk falls on this good ship.

- NJW's list of people on the Roden wagon is a barrel of sour ale. He says that the ole cap'n here has bad D1 analysis, when this blistering buccaneer can't even distinguish between true wagon votes and last second votes added to prevent a tie. I didn't want Roden dead, but I said I'd get in and break the 4/4 tie and I did (and were cut to the quick by a few others as I were posting).

- Nakeen, of course I can tie meself to main mast to be flogged for making dumb mistakes all ye like. But what earthly reason would I have for making a fool o' meself like that? More to the point, Firstmate EuchreJack confirms I used that very power that night. Not that I have the power (he didn't pick up on me other tricks) but that I used the power. So it's a crock o' bilge water you be trying to serve up there, and that's no mistake this time. I'm more confirmed than anyone.
I kinda want to hear who among those NJW listed he's is most suspicious of, even if he's limiting himself really hard.  It's not wrong to suspect people on the vote.

It's not just double actions at night, many players have day abilities (like myself and Juicebox). If mafia have day abilities that interfere with the following night we will have no idea and they'll be able to perform their night actions still.
I don't have any Day abilities, but I do have an Ability that could potentially negate Day abilities.

PPE:
Eyyyy, he finally did it.  He finally voted for someone for realsies!

Alrighty, let's make a new post.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: October 19, 2022, 05:47:33 pm »

I'm just wondering why in the world you tried to kill NJW, instead of you know, investigating them? I thought you were going after Juice, so checked NJW. Even if I had second thoughts of changing to Juice. Given they weren't around.

...What did Vector do last night anyway? We got a mod-mistake, but no clue what they did exactly beyond revive-item..

(If you're wondering why I didn't target you, Flash Fire.)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: October 19, 2022, 05:52:00 pm »

I'm getting pulled away but I'll be back tonight with the big post.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: October 19, 2022, 06:00:17 pm »

...What did Vector do last night anyway? We got a mod-mistake, but no clue what they did exactly beyond revive-item..

I inspected Web.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: October 19, 2022, 06:01:34 pm »

Well isn’t that something that can’t be confirmed.

At least one person is lying about targeting web.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: October 19, 2022, 06:13:22 pm »

Sorry you are completely right, I made the wrong assumptions here.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: October 19, 2022, 06:21:24 pm »

I inspected Web.
K. Anything targeting web got deflected to Max. Hence why web isn't dead.

... Vector, why don't you know that?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: October 19, 2022, 06:33:04 pm »

I am completely aware. There have been multiple posts on this topic. I am included in one of NQT's infographics upstream.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FBYOR 5 (12 / 14) - Day 2 - In which Webadict is outed as Obvscum
« Reply #730 on: October 19, 2022, 07:20:36 pm »

I went to bed as the main elim with under twelve hours to go iirc, and was pretty sure that my flip would out scum if I didn't give them anything else use, because the cases on me were garbage. I took the votes off TolyK to put more pressure on the people voting me for bad reasons, and didn't have somewhere else I wanted to put them. I could have done an essentially meaningless vote on you or something for your terrible case on me, but that would have been an OMGUS vote, which is often taken as a valid reason to elim someone.
What you're basically admitting to here is that you suspected no one except me.  Progress from this post:
Null:
Web - I'm ambivalent. On the one hand, they were a little erratic with the Tric defence, and they generally have a pretty firm D1 elim choice whereas today they seem to be setting up a situation where they're not held responsible for the elim or avoid it altogether. Suspect. On the other hand, they seem to be avoiding unnecessary arguments, which is a good sign as scum!web usually comes out on top of these.
This is the baseline we'll start from because it's the baseline you provided.  You got aggro, which means that something triggered you starting from the post where I called all of your reads bad.  I'm assuming it's that I called your reads bad, and you probably don't like that.  If I have to be honest, I wouldn't call your reads bad if they weren't bad.  You never asked me to clarify why they were bad, but I thought it was obvious.  Should I explain why they were so bad that Max and I immediately knew?  Alright, here's why they were bad:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Let's just start at your best case being that TolyK is activelurking, which is as lazy as you can get.  You also didn't push that case forward, so that's another point for you being lazy.

The next obvious point is that you had ToonyMan as leanscum but... literally never engaged with Toony.  Hold on, let me confirm that's the case.  Okay, looking at all your posts, yes, that appears to be the case.  Oh, wait, there was that one time where the vote count showed you accidentally voting ToonyMan, does that count?

Funny side point, you never put in EuchreJack into your list.  Come on, man, that's an easy Townread, dawg, but the third is that your Townreads are basic.  Lol, just kidding, guys, c'mon, don't get got so easily, he put it in his next post.  If you didn't guess he put EuchreJack in his easyreads list, then you're playing the wrong game.

Anyway, third is obviously that you threw Nakeen into your scumreads.  I actually think you might've engaged with Nakeen, which is odd that you could find the time to engage with Nakeen but not Toony.

The sum total is that your reads are lazy as shit.  That's why I called them bad.

Also, the last third of D1, including two players showing up, happened when I basically wasn't there. So yep, availability played a part in it.
That still means that you're indirectly complicit in Roden's elimination.  By doing nothing, you let Roden get voted out.  I honestly think that's a silly argument, but your logic would suggest that.

I find it odd that you take everything at face value.  Votes for Roden = scummy.  Bandwagoning = scummy.  Why is everything exactly what people say it is, and not something else?  I promise this has a point.

In summary:
 - you disagree with my reads (no explanation)
 - lied that I was claiming TolyK was definitely scum (I know you're too smart to actually read the thread, but still scummy)
 - yelled that anyone who scumread you for chainsaw defending Tric was scum (such as Roden, but you did insult lots of people so you were definitely right!)

So lies, unsubstantiated nonsense, and the fact that I called you out on something. This was your entire case, and what you wanted to eliminate on.

Of course, when I clammed up and simply said "fine, elim me, but look at the cases people built", people backed waaaay off. Specifically you and Toony.
Yep.  My goal was always to make sure someone got eliminated.  I'm surprised you're not quoting the post where I said that we should No Eliminate.

Sorry, my eyes are bad, and I took this for an adamant take that TolyK was scum [for shitty reasons], could you read this out loud for the court:
Scum:
TolyK - because their entire play has been activelurking or absenteeism. I don't know their meta, but they don't seem thick or inexperienced, so playing this way doesn't really given me a choice.

But, yes, I think your attempt to call me scum for defending TricMagic is also lazy.  I actually think it's you, again, thinking that using any scumtell is reasoning enough to go after someone for being scum.  I think there's a reasonable case that you're projecting really hard.

Btw, Max is scum by your reasoning.  You could've just asked, but I suppose you were busy doing nothing, plus it wasn't really a pressing issue to me.

Now the case you tried to elim Roden on.

Spoiler: Web on Roden (click to show/hide)
It looks more like read progression an actual case! Enough that Web is willing to vote someone out with it. It is, however, very flimsy. Take a look at any of those reasons. Are any of them reasonable?

More than half of it was apparently a metaread based on a single game. This when Tric, EJ and I could all townread Roden. I know some people here haven't played with him, but for those who have, it wasn't difficult. scum!Roden's ATEs are petulant and textwally, and his scum!D1s are generally calm and composed. I saw it. Toony saw it but voted him anyway... moving on.
Yeah, honestly seems pretty reasonable.  Not sure which part here is bad.  I'd still vote out Roden.  Using TricMagic and EuchreJack as reasonings for why I shouldn't vote out Roden undermines your own ability to defend Roden.  You never said any of the second part when it mattered, nor did you care to defend Roden when it mattered.  It's basically like you're saying "Look at me, I was right about Roden!" when you literally didn't vote, nor did you actually defend Roden.  You called Roden Town, but that doesn't amount to a defense.  I'd say you were probably afraid of performing a scumtell.

You also tried to eliminate TolyK without admitting you thought he was scum, and all around evaded any responsibility for the elim on the basis that you know, it was hard and you were tired. And yelled for people to elim you when they really weren't going to. It looks a lot like scum searching for a D1 schmuck that isn't one of their buddies, and trying to avoid pressure the next day.
Lol!  Yep, I sure did!  That's not sarcastic, I'm saying I literally tried to bandwagon TolyK.  I don't see a problem with that, do you?

But, I was 100% trying to avoid voting out TolyK.
Anything to go off of that TolyK isn't scum besides feeeeeeel?
TolyK has an ability that can steal/neutralize other people's abilities.  It appears he wishes to use this for others and claimed it in one of his only posts.  Additionally, TolyK has stated that he is too busy prior to the game starting.  This appears to be consistent throughout the Day.

Anyway, I've got my popcorn, I'm just here to enjoy.  If we're all set on voting out TolyK, fine, whatever, but I'm going to say I told you so if I'm right, and nobody reeeeeally wants that.

I like that your entire reasoning would apply directly to Maximum Spin, were he alive to enjoy this fact.  Your case is so haphazard that it could literally be applied to him.  No, that's not a joke.
Roden it is, then.

Why was your case on me sufficient justification for an elim?

What exactly about Roden's play was so much like this game that you voted him out on it, despite him playing against his general scum meta?

I think you're better off asking what my feeling was for trying to kill you during the Night.  That would be a better ask, would it not?  I mean, it's inherently the same question, or am I wrong?  Basically, you put it down right there.  I saw you as a scummy player and given that Roden was Town and I was pretty sure that juicebox was Town or he'd never ask to reload my kill, you were next in line.  I figured that your doublevote made you inherently more dangerous if you were scum, and it's something that makes me the most wary, if I'm to be honest.  It's why I really dislike the fact that you didn't vote Yesterday, since you literally have more power in the Daygame than anyone else, and yet, you're keeping a low profile and avoiding scumtells.  Now, that second part wasn't in my mind during the Night, so that's a fair sentiment to take, but I don't really see a problem with shooting on that.  I have no guarantee I'm going to be alive during the Night because, well, I'm not scum nor am I omniscient.

TL;DR:
The sum of your case is that Max did everything that I did, but Max is dead, and I'm not, so it's 100% me, and when I'm dead, you'll go after ToonyMan.  If I had died during the Night, you'd be making the exact same case on Max.

Okay, that's not entirely true.  Not the making a case on Max part, you'd definitely be doing that.  I mean the going after ToonyMan part.  That seems like way too much effort for you.

The real sum of your case is that I performed scumtells and you didn't, so I'm scum.  Look how obvious you're making it that you didn't perform those scumtells!
If I have a blameless D1
You call me trying to be blameless when you're looking for yourself to be blameless.

I could have done an essentially meaningless vote on you or something for your terrible case on me, but that would have been an OMGUS vote, which is often taken as a valid reason to elim someone.
You're looking to avoid OMGUS and see OMGUS as a valid reason to eliminate someone.  The only bad part with my reasoning here is that you legitimately did OMGUS:
If you and Toony are town and elim me, you get beaten by either idiots or lurkers.

Not confident or far enough into the day to post a readslist, so let's just play:
WHO'S BEING QUIET? [I removed the obnoxious font.]
You're making useless posts to avoid being quiet about people being quiet.

You're entire playstyle is projection.

Also, quit trying to Thunderdome.  It looks really desperate.
thunderdome
thunderdome
thunderdome
thunderdome

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: October 19, 2022, 07:23:39 pm »

I didn't want to have to wall, but NJW forced my hand.  Womp womp.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: October 19, 2022, 07:44:32 pm »

I'm just wondering why in the world you tried to kill NJW, instead of you know, investigating them? I thought you were going after Juice, so checked NJW. Even if I had second thoughts of changing to Juice. Given they weren't around.

(If you're wondering why I didn't target you, Flash Fire.)
Why would I go after juicebox?  He said he was gonna give me another Bullet.  That's just rude, and if his claim proved true, it'd be reason for me to not kill him.  Now, you could blame me for not going after Nakeen, since I did say I was gonna shoot him, but I really only planned to shoot juicebox as a backup, which is why I Soaked him.  But, NJW2000 is a potential threat as scum, though I do see his reasoning for Bussing away from Jim as potentially Town-sided.

Also, I assumed that NJW2000 would not be targeted, while juicebox had the potential to be targeted.  I should've instead shot Nakeen, knowing what I know now, but that's hindsight.

Also, the reason why I thought I was killed by scum was that juicebox didn't claim to have given me a Bullet, and Maximum Spin died while Knightwing redirected actions from me.  In that way, it's entirely possible that juicebox planned to lie about his action as giving me a Reload when I was dead, but that plan was nixxed when I didn't die, and could therefore "verify" his action.  I don't see this as likely anymore, given a series of factors, but it was the first one that jumped to my mind.

The revive item I assumed was from Vector, since it fits what I'd expect from them as a role.  It's not proven, but that's just my assumption and I don't plan on revealing anything about it other than it's a revive with a really powerful effect.  BUT I ALSO DON'T HAVE IT, SO PLEASE REMEMBER THAT, TRIC.  If that's not the case, then I have no idea where that Action came from or what it means, but it's stupidly good.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: October 19, 2022, 07:53:53 pm »

(Bit late to go into half-thoughts from that time..)

Guess it;s more that I expected Juice to get investigated.. Or otherwise, given how distant they were in NQT's charts D1. NJW was just a good investigation target from the fact that A: He didn't vote, B: he was a potential lynch. Why wouldn't I investigate him to clear them of suspicion from that? If they were town, that's a confirmed double voter, and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Also, not that dumb webadict... Nor are you on fire in the first place.

... To check others, is it webadict meta to shoot the person with the double vote? < Just to be sure.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: October 19, 2022, 07:56:34 pm »

... To check others, is it webadict meta to shoot the person with the double vote? < Just to be sure.
Never had a chance.  Doublevoters aren't necessarily alignment indicative, but if I feel one is scum, then it's imperative to kill them.  Scum with a double vote means they can end the game that much sooner.

But it is always in my meta to shoot ASAP.  Just ask Toony!
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 113