- 0 (0%)
Titans
- 0 (0%)
Vault Guardians
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: November 04, 2022, 09:24:51 am

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24]

Author Topic: In Search of Fairy Tales - Adelaathira - The End of Dwarfdom  (Read 46165 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: In Search of Fairy Tales - Adelaathira - The End of Dwarfdom
« Reply #345 on: July 16, 2024, 04:35:23 am »

Dang that's a lot of dead zombies, some epic fights just happened here.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: August 12, 2024, 05:21:52 am »

source: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/dOd4eW

The band had begun the grim labor that follows all great battles: Clean up

The charnel house of a fort was a field of rotting meat, maggots, bones and disease. If left alone it would likely be a source of plague for the region for years potentially destroying the tribal plains Kanil so adored.
The more important reason though was less practical: Dignity

None were satisfied at leaving so many victims of such a tragedy so dishonored. In dwarven culture only those properly memorialized can enter the after life. The rest live in a purgatory-like middle land between the Mountainhome and hell until the time of final judgement. Many dwarven heroes died here defeating Tumam and it would not do to curse them to this fate.

What bodies that could be gathered were, but so many parts were unidentifiable or were reduced to a slurry that was a feast for worms. Legendary weapons and armor were all over the field as well and each body was placed inside the former barracks of the fort now turned into a sepulcher. The rest of the ground of the fortress was burned. Even with the cloud obscuring the sun the savannah was still in the deepest part of its dry season and so the ground caught well. The smell of burning rotting flesh and the sound of it was more disturbing than Kanil imagined.

Although he was a veteran of many battles it was his first battle of such scale and where clean up after even mattered. "The ballads don't sing about this, do they?" Called Nemo grimly
"Certainly not, but neither shall we, I expect." Ersi the priest said after swigging some wine from his waterskin he continued "I imagine as age takes our minds we will mostly just remember our glorious triumphs"
"I am timeless, Priest. I doubt I will remember this as you did when you are too old to rise from your seat" Nemo replied sadly
"Mores the pity" Ersi the warrior interjected. The priest silently raised his waterskin in toast

Kanil was staring up into the cloud wishing his gaze could pierce it and see the sky above. "There's peace in knowing that it was true evil that we killed. Our enemy were foul cursed beasts who desired to kill all that is good in the world. That gives me comfort about today even if this labor disturbs" he said
Ingiz stomped over from the dwarven party. He looked to have aged many years, as far as dwarves go, and out of the entire crew his whole body was a criss-cross of scars, missing teeth, and even a missing toe. "A wrong has been made right and many of my kin given peace. I thank you, brothers"
Ersi the warrior nodded his head toward the dwarf party some distance away from them "They gonna arrest us still?"
"Try to" Kanil said flatly
Ingiz shook his head "No, they know better now. Lost too many of their own number and now they don't trust each other after letting Ushrir rush ahead and get herself killed. More wrongs to right, but Kanil Inchwhip isn't one of those"
Kanil looked intently at Ingiz "What wrongs still need to be righted?"
"No reason to involve yourself, lad. Dwarven matters and you've proven yourself a hero."
There was a strange twinkle to Kanil's eyes. A desire in him that he never could put into words "I feel no obligation. Let me help" he paused realizing that he rarely ever verbalized his affection for his friends "...my friend"

Ingiz noted the intention and chuckled "A madman you are. I doubt you wish to involve yourself in all the trade debts, family grudges and clerical grudges that are going to be fought over in courts these final days. There is another great battle coming though. I'll tell you more back home" It meant a lot to the party to hear Ingiz refer to Helmsfragrance, their base, as his home as well.
"Lets be off then, but first, Priest what was your plan for the cloud? It hangs over us still"
The priest looked despondent "I see that too! I had heard from the dwarves that the cloud was made from Tumam's fell zombies he summoned near the end of the battle." He scratches his head "I sort of hoped that killing them all would cause it to dissipate."
Nemo "So, no plan. Just a hunch that didn't pay off?" Kanil asked
"It might go away someday, you never know!" he defended
"And this land, one of the most fertile in human hands, will likely turn into a desert before then" Ersi the warrior stated. He spat on the ground and continued "A cursed desert to our west and cursed lands to our east. We're fast running out of places for our children to call their own"
This thought left the party in a dark state of mind. They decided to return home to plan the next steps with one thought left unsaid for it being too dark and too soon to utter "The sudden drop in population of the dwarves has left their lands to the north empty to occupy and farm and so there's hope for mankind in the end of the dwarves"

OOC:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: August 13, 2024, 06:15:08 am »

Well damn I was hoping that wold work and the cloud would go away. After all that how many dwarves are left at this point?

Also I'm fine with you bringing Burt and friends back to have some fun with the elves and goblins, it'll be good to see the old gang again anyway.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: August 30, 2024, 02:36:23 pm »

New Cast for this particular story:

Itha Feciciyaba
Itha has spent the years since his failed expedition wrestling with regret. His forest paradise served as his comfort in these times and he was beginning to come to terms. The Elder Hell did not forget his transgressions though, even if he failed, and they find themselves in need of the army of beak dogs he liberated and led back to his home. The young elf will soon find himself to regret his preference to not learn the arts of combat

Ingiz Laboredgirders the Geared Tragedies of Disemboweling
Ingiz has lived a tumultuous life. He was one of countless dwarves cast out of the kingdom during the religious schism regarding the Spry, the god of undeath who would later turn out to be Tumam. He later ventured to the far corners of the kingdom to defend from goblins before meeting Kanil and spending years traveling the roads, saving the world, and building a legend divorced from the kingdom that had spurned him.
Then came the doom of the dwarves. Suddenly, he and his exiles were exiles no longer, but inheritors of the legacy of all dwarfkind. Only now there weren't enough dwarves left to even save the species. Faced with the grim reality of the future ahead of him, Ingiz has determined to right wrongs committed against his own people and to ensure a legacy is left behind that will be remembered for all ages to come. The time has come for Ingiz to right the greatest wrong committed against his people.

Kanil Inchwhip the Humorous Belly of Bites
Kanil went from orphan to the hired muscle of a bandit chieftess. Only when discarded and sent on a suicide mission did he ever find independence, and even then he was prompted to simply seek the very next fight in front of him. Although he saved the world he still was not satisfied and only when he, the peak of human strength, was struck down by something greater did he begin to wrestle with who he was and what he wanted.
To this day he still struggles to understand his purpose in this ruined world, especially after learning his origins, but he considers Ingiz a brother by oath. He swears to see this path through to the end, but who will he find on the other side?

Old characters returning! We'll see who even makes it to the end! Scales of battle are only growing as Adelaathira reaches its twilight age

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: August 31, 2024, 02:44:36 am »

Sounds like you have some exciting stuff planned for the future.

Also are you sure bigger battles are a good thing when you said the last one took over a week to complete?

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: August 31, 2024, 06:57:19 am »

Sounds like you have some exciting stuff planned for the future.

Also are you sure bigger battles are a good thing when you said the last one took over a week to complete?

Honestly, it wasn't intentional!
I was doing dfhack to make all the dwarf pops come out and stop being off map populations and things kind of spiraled out of my control, but that is the most dwarf fortress outcome possible so I am rolling with it lol

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: September 03, 2024, 03:43:46 am »

Sounds exciting can't see what this out come is.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24]