Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Edit, or at least view, the labours included in the default work details  (Read 1296 times)

TheBeardyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The new "Work Details" menu has a list of default work details, and new custom work details can be added. But the default work details don't have a button to edit or view the labours that they include. The labours are obvious for some of them, but not all of them. It would be nice if the default work details had that button so that we could be sure of what labours we're going to get when we assign dwarves to them.

Metruption

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
Re: Edit, or at least view, the labours included in the default work details
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2022, 07:49:18 am »

This would be so nice. Many forts will never use fishing or plant gathering and having those stuck at the top of a menu with a scrollbar is bad.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2022, 11:03:40 am »

this may in fact be the most regrettable choice I have seen so far. I am confused - the new labor interface gives less control than a spreadsheet and isn't really that much faster to interact with, considering you need to juggle multiple conditional settings for each dwarf.

if this represents a change in gameplay that will arrive later, aka the dwarves no longer let you give direct labor orders, becoming more free agents, then I understand. but if it is planned to retain complete player control over their dwarves and given labors, please please just give us a spreadsheet. dont even care if it's hidden from new players due to their innate fear of columns and rows...

a lot of the GUI is a straight downgrade from the various DFhack utils or even vanilla methods. again, this is not just a complaint about learning new hotkeys - the number of clicks needed to perform any given action has exploded due to the basic format of the GUI. gahhhhhhh

its like the worst parts of the rimworld UI were mashed together with the weirdness that is DF labor categorization. Rimworld is popular, but maybe not the best inspiration since Tynan was winging it in the first place.

Afghani84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2022, 02:13:40 pm »

I strongly second the wish to be able to customize, rename and (if needed) delete the original work details. Seems strange that they cannot be viewed, altered or deleted. What was the thought process here?

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2022, 06:47:16 pm »

a lot of the GUI is a straight downgrade from the various DFhack utils or even vanilla methods. again, this is not just a complaint about learning new hotkeys - the number of clicks needed to perform any given action has exploded due to the basic format of the GUI. gahhhhhhh

its like the worst parts of the rimworld UI were mashed together with the weirdness that is DF labor categorization. Rimworld is popular, but maybe not the best inspiration since Tynan was winging it in the first place.
The bolded bit is what I've been feeling a lot from this. I never thought I'd miss V-P-L to be perfectly honest.

sageleaf

• Bay Watcher
  • [PERMITTED_JOB:MAKE_MEME]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2022, 08:38:57 am »

+1

~
If at all
~

Arktanis

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2022, 09:16:42 am »

This is one of those UX/UI things that need urgent attention. I *do* like this idea and feel it works ok, but we need to be able to fully customize them (or at least know for certain what jobs are available to each default detail) to be able to use them effectively
Holly Carp!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2022, 09:41:46 am »

This would be so nice. Many forts will never use fishing or plant gathering and having those stuck at the top of a menu with a scrollbar is bad.

Having fishing in the default list allows you to set it to "nobody does this", so it still deserves a place. The work details aren't just for assigning work, they're also for unassigning work.

Arktanis

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2022, 12:02:34 pm »

I'd like to correct myself. This post on reddit brings a fair point. Yes, I do miss being able to micromanage which task a d0rf is or isn't allowed to perform, *but* this is not the idea anymore and it actually makes sense after reading this. We are thinking it backwards.
It would be nice though having an advanced view or something like that down the line, but I can now see how this is not necessary and even problematic (hence why we used beautiful amazing DFHack)
Holly Carp!

sageleaf

• Bay Watcher
  • [PERMITTED_JOB:MAKE_MEME]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2022, 01:16:19 pm »

the whole work details systems feels under developed, why take away control if the replacement is going to be this lacking? why can't i change the order of work orders in the list? why can't i change their icons? if i am to interact with this system it needs to be more flexible.
~
If at all
~

extremejon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2022, 03:31:26 pm »

Long time player and donator, rare poster here. 100% echoing all the above.

I'd say that I like the new labor menu in theory , but I am praying for some speedy updates to build out its functionality, because it's really lacking now. Some features that would go a long way might be:

• customize icons for custom
  • being able to rearrange the order (as said, needing to scroll past default jobs sucks)
  • Let me view and change the default groups (I'm not certain what exactly orderlies and stonecutters do, and I guess I need to just trial-and error it. Not-good ux)
  • let us save and load custom labour sets. It took me over an hour to get the bare minimum set up, and I am dreading needing to do this for every fort going forward.

SuperPluck

• Bay Watcher
  • Quack
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2023, 08:59:53 am »

I think extremejon made the perfect summary. That's exactly what I have come here to ask

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2023, 11:04:26 am »

I don't mind the pre-existing groupings, but in practice the easy to use 'master' system for workshops is much much better and well rounded for actually getting workshop related jobs done.
  • Mechanics aren't under stonecutters, but encompass a group as wide as mechanical theorists, mechanics that set up traps/build gears and machines, pump operators and siege engineers, so its a little confusing why they arent added or why they're marginalized the labor groupings
Right clicking to expand what jobs are done in the premade groupings with some checkboxes would be easier than setting up new ones/going into some advanced edit mode along the lines staying as "major" grouping, because i dont want all of my carpenters armed with axes, but i really don't mind if my former mason stonecutters whittle a few craftman stone trinkets out either.

If i had to re-do this system as a fresh suggestion, id use this screen to represent guilds, and workers grouped by association with a guild into doing some manner of official guild work, like them all wearing "the guild armband" so they complete their mining 10% faster or more efficiently to keep up quality, balancing this against guild-things that guilds do like demanding bigger guild-location rooms.

Maybe a slight nod in this respect to the old 'house' system in 2d with the house of ber and ter as a easter-egg to phoney guild official complaints.

So id go about my way like on 47.05 classic list, then bam, bam bam, assign most of my miners into the mining guild where they'll stay until unassigned with lifetime membership access to the guilds pool-table and private bar or something.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 11:10:13 am by FantasticDorf »