Poll

Is it time for a new fortress?

OH YEAH!!!!
- 5 (83.3%)
No, Still got grudges to settle here!
- 1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17

Author Topic: The Forests of Burning: Building the largest world conquest fort series  (Read 17643 times)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm sorry Maloy. freak accidents........

18th Opal, 153
 Fevil stalks the caverns, having recently setting alight a troll. Curiously, this troll had many complex emotions and memories, and was over 100 years older than Fevil the terrible fire-breathing theropod. 

25th Opal
 Someone dropped a door into the well cistern.   
 The water tasted door-y after that.

4th Obsidian
 The smithery was refactored to account for the available labor and space.

10th Obsidian
 Usmik Gladefruits inherited the position of lady of The Coalition of Habits.
 She chose this moment to meditate on death.

16th Obsidian
 'Maloy' the Militia Commander and original overseer died today after slipping and falling onto his throat. He crawled halfway down the entrance ramp, bleeding heavily, before perishing.

23rd Obsidian
 Taking stock of our weaponry, we have 16 axes, 17 picks, 3 spears, 3 short swords, and a war hammer, all steel. As well as goblin weapons.

1st Granite
 The surface farms were replanted in a semi-covered sunken garden dug into the hillside next to the entrance keep.
 We planted longland grass, rope reeds, rye, and strawberries.

1st Granite, 154
 A new year! Spring is upon us. Innu, the dancer, has passed of  old age, and will be interred with the others.
 Plans for the coming year:
 -surface labyrinth to avoid casualties during sieges
 -waterfall for mood improvement
 -consolidation of stuff
 -bedrooms??

4th Granite
 A siege from the humans, seeking parley. We grant no such request.
 Scouts reported hundreds of the hairless tall ones outside the keep. 'Eclipse' rushed to pull the lever, shutting the microcline bridge and sealing the dwarves below ground.
 There were too many to fight, not without destroying the already fragile minds of the various fighters.

10th Slate
 The hospital was fully developed with new beds installed, and specific doctors assigned for each variety of horrible wound.
 The guildhalls need work still, lacking value neccesary to fullfill the request.

13th Slate
 We took stock of the steel armor available to our fighters.
 We have 19 mail shirts, 40 high boots, 40 gauntlets, 12 helms, 30 greaves, and 11 shields.

We remain under siege by 210 humans, horses, and war dogs

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile

That's a big-assed seige. Armok help you.
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile

Dorf me as a jeweler, pls!
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Dorf me as a jeweler, pls!

dwarf'd. playing live now!

That's a big-assed seige. Armok help you.

the elves came in similar numbers and we only just survived. Armok, please, stop sir, stop this madness

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I declare a grudge for getting me killed! Only I have no living descendants to pass it onto! Curse this blasted anti-dwarf world!

I'll probably wanna be re-dwarfed just wanna play a soldier at the least. I want all the military exploits!

Also our fort keeps making artifact childrens toys which is really dark, because there are no living children in our entire kingdom. Also the humans and goblins keep trying to take them!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh alright, I'll throw another dwarf at ya this next time. I will play once more before  passing the save along. journal for today below, probably a bit incoherent at times:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

save: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=17025

I'm sorry ! I forgot to name u again Maloy. Also there are plenty of elves and goblins that need naming I kinda forgot to go through and name everyone.

we need to mine more bit coal / lignite (but there are plenty of veins near the bedrooms)

beware the beast sickness - extract may lurk in places I did not find. the body itself is locked in a prison of silver

there is a goblin siege but they are in the 'parley' state and will not attack until provoked.

the ballistae are loaded and ready for operation: three launchers up top will encourage our death maze participants to leap into the pit, whereupon another set of five will shred them in the conveniently designed Forest of Perforated Columns .

levers are named. have fun. our dwarves are skilled enough to take them on in a melee, so I think, but  only when well organized. When they cannot support each other, they die. see below... RIP Salmeuk. two elephants to the brain

« Last Edit: March 11, 2024, 09:26:35 pm by Salmeuk »

Otto_K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So is it Kesperan's turn now, and after that my turn?

This is a fantastic world for veteran players to challenge themselves on!

I'm not a veteran player in any sense, only have couple hundred hours on steam edition, so hope you don't mind, and look forward to some chaos... Still i should be able to keep the fort alive when my turn comes, if only through sheer cowardice
Succession fort runs!
Zulbanunal - Bannerblunts
Bardumiseth - Fightquests

Salvadaddy — 29.12.2023
A zombie butterfly man chitin in THE PIT got killed by a falling olm remains lmao

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey its whatever works!

What I like about it is that it does seem to be a world where taking advantage of pathing issues, bugs, exploits, etc are all viable ways to win rather than ways to break the game.

Sent Kesperan a message!
Salmeuk you want back on the turn list?

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'll download and give this a crack tomorrow! now!

Edit: My god, I have no idea how to play Steam DF.

Got the bridge down eventually and killed 162 invaders. Many dwarves died.

So many corpse stockpiles. So many corpses.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2024, 05:37:13 pm by kesperan »

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile

Did we lose anyone else from this thread? D:
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Did we lose anyone else from this thread? D:

I do not see any named dwarves in the thread in the list of dead.  Mostly useless bards.

Does anyone know of the bridge over the river is linked to a lever? Would be useful to know for … reasons.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2024, 09:42:04 am by kesperan »

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Gateheaven, Year 155

Hematite 155

Population: 136
Invaders: 162

Finally, we remember where the lever for the front drawbridge is located. Thirty military dwarves surge into action, and a seige of goblins is slaughtered. Many useless bards lose their lives chasing around after war dogs. The Gloved Communion is almost decimated, but they will rebuild.

"Lanix7" Roderalath makes a lovely artifact bronze throne amongst the carnage. Sadly due to their possesion, he does not become a legendary metalcrafter. Unionmesses the Dipped Distrust. It is decorated with tiger leather, chalcedonies and the bones of camels and dogs.

So many poets arrive. Whats with that?

Population: 113
Invaders: 0

Malachite 155

The cleanup operation begins in earnest. Hundreds of pathetic wooden items and frilly socks of the tree-huggers are sent to the atomsmasher. A great melting of goblinite is begun. "ScaryWizard" Nokorfikod gives birth to a baby boy, "Kesperan" Emeraldstaff, the reincarnation of the poor soul who crushed himself with a boulder last year. His father is "Mangointango" Beriseth, the militia captain. I see great things in his future.

Population: 114

Galena 155

The ghost of "Unlucky" Vostdolil, a ghostly human bard has risen and is haunting the fortress. How apt. The stonemasons begin crafting a slab. Meanwhile, a few of the military dwarves begin feeling depressed, weary at the constant slaughter. "Unlucky" begins haunting our resident miserable vampire, "Unnameable."

Population: 114

Limestone 155

Food and drink stocks remain steady. Baby "Kesperan" is babbling as his mother spars with the soldiers of The Gloved Communions. The ghostly human bard "Unlucky" is put to rest.

Scores of puppies from the last human invasion have grown to become dogs, as they swim in the river at the edge of the map.

And just on queue, a vile force of darkness arrives. A small collection of goblins and elves arrives from the east, including a human snatcher. They are quickly put down. Yet more dogs appear on the edges of the map.

The caravan arrives. Hopefully we can trade a lot of elven junk to them. Some migrants arrive, despite the danger. "Starpike220" Nimarurdim is possessed and claims a forge. He cannot find bones to finish his masterpiece. Bones! In this place?
We quickly attempt to butcher a goose before he goes insane. Finally, "Starpike220" gathers the goose bone, some magnetite and a single bar of platinum.

Rager the broker does some good dealing, trading wooden arrows and flimsy elven clothing for cloth and leather. Sadly, the caravan brings no animals of any kind, let alone elephants. The caravan does seem a little... meager. Can wagons access our Depot?

"Starpike220" crafts Nalutal, a platinum bed! Again, sadly, he does not become a legendary blacksmith. "Rager" decides, as Mayor and Broker, that he will have the bed installed in his mayoral quarters.

Population: 121

Sandstone 155

Despite his wonderful artefact bed, "Rager" has slipped into depression. So many of the dwarves here are unhappy due to the constant attacks by elves, humans and goblins. It's hard to be happy when you are surrounded by corpses. Some bards are brawling with a diagnostician. This could get ugly.

Population: 121

Timber 155

The feral dogs continually roam the outskirts of the fort, fighting with camels. A few more bards join the ranks. Hope they like hauling.

Population: 124

Moonstone 155

The elves are at the gates! The sneaky knife-ears ambush us in early winter.

"Otto_K" decides to take them all on himself, his pick and feet mashing elven heads with reckless abandon, before his backup arrives. More and more elves pour in through the front gate. Many hordes, war leopards and even elephants join them! This is not looking good.

Several bards are killed in the melee, as trumpeting elephants and war leopards leap upon them. "Starpike220", crafter of Nalutal is slain, as is "Furrnok" Basnededuk, another bard. Otto, slayer of many elves, is nowhere to be seen, though we did not see him fall. The remaining elephants run terrified into the dunes as the siege is broken.

The cleanup begins again. The cycle continues. Our entranceway is choked with corpses and soaked in the blood of scores of elves. The dwarves are miserable, but any who die are immediately replaced by throngs of bards. "Riloki" Ducimbuzat the diagnostician is tantrumming constantly, causing fistfights in the tavern.

The simmering resentment spills over into bloodshed. A massive brawl breaks out in the temple. Many poets, bards and even a few dwarves are slain. The militia commander "Bruenor" is responsible for restoring order, by slaughtering the tantrummers.

The hospital is full to brimming. And just then there is a terrible roar from the deep - as if to throw salt in our wounds a great poisonous lizard is roaming the caverns.

Population: 111

Opal 155

For now, the slaughter seems to have abated. Blood, vomit and guts are cleaned from the temple and the tavern, and the atom smasher is put to good use. The quiet gurgling screams of plump helmet men and cave ogres being murdered by the beast Zestto are the only distractions.

Baby "Kesperan" stumbles around naked and thirsty, his mother slain. He is indignant after being forced to endure the decay of his mother. More than a third of the fortress are miserable or depressed. What a godforsaken place this is.

"Riloki" threw another tantrum and destroyed the trade depot. A few more bards are slain in a fight. There are plenty tombs, but the corpses are left to rot in the corridors.

Population: 112

Obsidian 155

It all seems eerily quiet here, though the mood is not improving. Most of those injured in the tavern brawl have now left the hospital. New coffins have been laid down. The corpse pits are full once more.

A tanner withdraws from society and creates a sleek jaguar leather glove, and is now a legendary tanner. I notice we appear to have no soap and few splints. Many of the wounded have infections. We have rounded up a few wild camels to turn into soap.

Population: 111

Granite 156

Spring has arrived. The mood in the fort is sadly much the same. No new brawls though. A thief is spotted trying to steal an artifact llama wool item and is put down.

Soon after, a great horde of over 150 goblins and humans of The Union of Frenzy arrive with their war dogs. They seek Mososrit, a chalk toy boat. We tell them to go stuff themselves and raise the gate. One human bard is mauled to death by war dogs before we can seal the fortress. Perhaps now the invaders will try Salmeuk's patented defence system?  The dogs and humans enter into the farms and slaughter a few more bards. No beards were lost that day, but what of the future?

It is so very hard to thrive here - so few dwarves and so many attacks. Every time we clean up the mess and lay our dead to rest, another siege arrives.

I will hand the overseership over to someone hopefully more capable than I...

https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=17029

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I know you said one-week turns, but I played for one year.

It's just not enjoyable for me. Every dwarf practically is miserable. There are constant seiges of >150 units every season. I don't know enough about the new DF to be able to fix this. Sorry.

If you would prefer, you can ignore my timeline and Otto can start from Sal's last turn. I am not sure the fort is salvageable at this point.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Don't feel bad, Kesp. This is an exceedingly difficult fort!

Hmm. I have some ideas to improve the mood in the fort, but was waiting for my turn to come up to implement them.

1. Dwarf Bank

2. Taking Seasons Off

3. Everyone goes military

4. Never Play Fair

5. Leave the dead where they lie

Meme:

Right now this is very hard, but honestly I feel once we get a handle on our military and a solid work flow for the fort it will actually go quite smoothly.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2024, 05:38:07 pm by Maloy »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 17