Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A dwarf gets adopted.  (Read 614 times)

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A dwarf gets adopted.
« on: June 19, 2024, 03:57:23 pm »

In the twilight of the rugged mountains, where the sun cast long shadows over the rocky terrain, a dwarf named Thorek trudged through the winding paths, his heart heavy with memories of home. The goblin horde, relentless and cruel, had driven him and many others from their ancestral halls, forcing them to seek refuge in this new, unfamiliar land. Thorek's once sturdy frame now seemed bent with the weight of sorrow and exhaustion, his eyes clouded by the haunting images of the battles they had narrowly survived.

The new settlement was a bustling hive of activity, filled with the clamor of hammers striking anvils and the murmur of hushed conversations. Refugees like Thorek worked tirelessly to fortify their new home, their every effort dedicated to holding back the goblin threat that lurked beyond the mountains. Each day was a struggle, the specter of invasion ever-present, casting a pall over their spirits.

But as the seasons turned, the frequency of the goblin attacks waned, giving the weary dwarves a much-needed reprieve. Despite the relative calm, Thorek found little solace. His dreams were plagued by the screams of fallen comrades and the unending clash of steel. The once vibrant glint in his eyes had dulled, replaced by a shadow of despair that even the brightest daylight could not chase away.

Rumors began to circulate among the traders who braved the treacherous passes, tales of tall, mysterious creatures waging war against the goblins. These stories brought a flicker of hope to the beleaguered settlement, a whisper of salvation carried on the wind. Thorek listened with a distant interest, his heart too battered to fully embrace the possibility of rescue.

One warm summer's day, a caravan approached the gates, unlike any Thorek had seen before. The travelers were tall and clad in strange garb, their language a melodic cadence that intrigued the dwarves. The humans, as they called themselves, brought goods for trade, their wagons laden with exotic wares. Thorek, with little to offer but his craftsmanship, approached the traders with a finely crafted necklace, its intricate design a testament to his skill.

In exchange, he received a small, sleek cat, its fur as black as coal and eyes that gleamed with intelligence. The cat, a creature meant to keep the rodents at bay, quickly settled into Thorek's quarters, its presence a peculiar comfort. Each evening, after the day's labor was done, Thorek would sit by the fire, the cat curling up on his lap, its purring a soothing balm to his troubled soul.

As the weeks turned into months, the cat became Thorek's constant companion, a silent witness to his unspoken grief. The simple act of stroking its fur, feeling the rhythmic rise and fall of its breath, brought a strange peace to his heart. The weight of his memories began to lift, the dark shadows receding like the tide.

One evening, as the fire crackled and the cat purred softly, Thorek gazed into the dancing flames and felt a quiet revelation. The battles of the past could not be undone, nor the fallen returned, but here, in this moment, there was a semblance of peace. He stroked the cat's head gently, a small smile tugging at the corners of his lips.

For the first time in a long while, Thorek dared to hope. "It's going to be all right," he whispered, the words a promise to himself, a vow to find solace amidst the turmoil. And in the gentle presence of the cat, the warm glow of the fire, and the distant laughter of his fellow dwarves, he began to believe it.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A dwarf gets adopted.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2024, 02:41:49 pm »

I really like this!
Love stories of dwarven underdogs and I love how the goblins were teh cause of the problem, but not the center of the story. Instead it was the condition of Thorek's heart.

Humans being the good guys in writings is a nice change from a lot of fantasy where we are pissing everybody off and taking their stuff lol

Also my cat has been a big source of calm for me so I can also relate to that ending too

Wilfred of Ivanhoe

• Bay Watcher
  • positively macabre
    • View Profile
    • My Music
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2024, 12:05:13 pm »

This was a wonderful write, thank you.
(1) You grab your golf bag and take out your gun. But then an Orc comes over and sensually gives you a massage. You decide to marry the Orc and live together. Unfortunately, the Orc walks over a slime mine and blows up. You commit suicide, unable to bare the thought of living with out your one true love.

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2024, 08:27:46 am »

I wrote this story originally on r/HFY. The follow-ups were less well received. I stayed too close to what would happen in the game I guess. The next, still not published story got some enthusiastic feedback from proofreaders. It featured a gelding strike so what is not to love about that? If it works out the way I hope, I'll post the entire thing here too. Else you would just have to use a search engine to find the rest.

Thanks for the nice feedback so far.