Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: don't understand using walls to block water  (Read 832 times)

Elvedritsche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
don't understand using walls to block water
« on: July 22, 2024, 09:05:04 am »

Hi,

if you are digging into aquifiers you have to protect your build from draining water.

This is typically done like the following scheme:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rydPzcdk6Jw1OhWUWjc8c8FChLgsst-M/view?usp=sharing

the tiles with the pick icon are then filled by walls. The walls do not overlap each other and the construction is impervious.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1z2QjmhZSX0EuetJ_9F3wjSJr3WpM--DN/view?usp=sharing

But the following construction is leaking.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dRJblLnsg_Oovp6IQOh7s3rIpDTHwGEL/view?usp=sharing

Why??

Joachim

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: don't understand using walls to block water
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2024, 12:43:12 pm »

There must be more aquifer layer tiles in your stairwell, also leaking water. Find the mist clouds where the water is being released, dig and build, until you get them all.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2024, 01:27:15 pm »

Is the aquifer directly above? Aquifers can leak through the ceiling.

Elvedritsche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2024, 05:38:18 am »

Is the aquifer directly above? Aquifers can leak through the ceiling.

in the following screenshots you can see elevation 24 and 23.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KdTolM9l2GUSkUQ6nuJxO2kCAPQqMI-b/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1e_aZ25OPnzPjXybWptr1Y0E8SV2xKRIF/view?usp=sharing

There must be more aquifer layer tiles in your stairwell, also leaking water.

Can water leaking through walls, or only where they connect to each other?

In my case here, the water must come from the ceiling or must drain through the walls. Both, I never had before.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2024, 07:33:33 am »

Its been a long time since Ive played, but I though that aquifers cannot do diagonal leaking in any arrangement, although liquid units themselves can go diagonal by bleeding their pressure.

It looks like at least one of those materials are stone, which you can smooth easily enough.  Aquifers can be multiple layers deep, its dangerous to assume the walls on the second floor arent seeping.

A good way to drain the water is to send a trained miner to immediately dig into the first cavern layer.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2024, 12:04:55 pm »

Yeah... an aquifer tile can leak water to the orthogonals on the same level and directly below, but not diagonally.

To protect a 2x2 stairwell, construct 8 walls:
  NCCN      S=Stairs, C=Constructed wall, N= Natural wall
  CSSC
  CSSC
  NCCN

In my case here, the water must come from the ceiling or must drain through the walls. Both, I never had before.
Most likely the ceiling. If layer 24 is an aquifer layer, and you dig out a room in layer 23, water will fill the room from the ceiling.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Elvedritsche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2024, 12:46:54 pm »

Most likely the ceiling. If layer 24 is an aquifer layer, and you dig out a room in layer 23, water will fill the room from the ceiling.

OK, I didn't know about that point. Then it was pure luck that this has not happened before in other fortresses.  I digged multiple times directly beneath an aquifier layer ... if I remember right ...

Thanks