Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wood Cutter Refuses to Cut Wood  (Read 474 times)

shikijiyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Novo Robotics
Wood Cutter Refuses to Cut Wood
« on: August 28, 2008, 05:13:32 pm »

Well I was about to write this red-faced rant about how much I hate my damned wood cutter.  Turns out it wasn't his fault (not surprisingly).  He had the job enabled, but he just stood around with "No Job" as his status, which pretty much infuriated me to the point where I was considering building an elaborate trap to kill him.  Suddenly I remembered that I had turned the wood cutting job OFF at one point, so he could focus on making me some more beds.  I had assumed this caused him to drop the axe inside.  I also assumed he would just pick it right back up again when I turned the job back on.  But he didn't seem to have an axe.  When I checked the stores I discovered that I didn't have an axe in my weapons list.  So he must have dropped it outside and it rotted away.  Luckily I have an established metal smith setup, so I was able to whip one up again.  And, of course, the second the axe was completed my little wood cutter snatched it up, sprinted outside, and began cutting down trees like his life depended on it.

God I love this game.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
Re: Wood Cutter Refuses to Cut Wood
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 05:21:56 pm »

Uh, is this a question or an anecdote?
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 06:30:31 pm »

If you have made a weapons stockpile, the axe should be moved there. If you have security, then thieves shouldn't be able to steal that axe. If the axe was left out in the open, it isn't too suprising that it has disappeared. Unless you dumped the axe in magma, I don't think there is any other way to remove an axe from the game.
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

the9trances

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 10:44:47 pm »

Or trade it, Skanky.
If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a day.  If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 12:05:53 am »

Point. Its hard to do that accidently, though.
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday