Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Soil from refuse  (Read 3037 times)

Inquisitor Saturn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Soil from refuse
« on: August 28, 2008, 07:25:06 pm »

I think it would be interesting for decaying corpses and plants to turn the ground under them into soil. That way, you could have strategically placed refuse stockpiles to give you some farmland in areas like tundras.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Soil from refuse
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 09:05:06 pm »

I don't think I like the form of it, but the gist is kinda cool.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 09:17:31 pm »

Makes sense. Where else would mushrooms (plump helmets) grow but a refuse pile?

Tubi2b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 11:02:58 pm »

Would be neat; but Im more interested in a way to develop sand =/.

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 07:47:11 am »

Introducing a concept of compost would be a pretty neat implementation of it.

Rather than get actual soil, you can use the refuse to generate a fertilizer to help grow your crops.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 08:34:26 am »

I was thinking of this this morning.

I'm thinking Compost pile, 'seeded' with one unit of lye per 3 squares.  Stuff decomposes into 'compost'.  7 units of compost could be used to fill in a dirt square (so you'd dig a hole and then fill it with dirt).  OR compost could be used as a fertilizer.

Inquisitor gets his dirt, farmers get fertilizer, and I get rid of my old xxsilk socksxx

NBtQMK

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 08:39:14 am »

How many years should it take in real life for corpses to be converted into soil? I think it's only possible to fetilize soil with dead bodies =)

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digital-lifeform.com
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2008, 08:41:26 am »

How many years should it take in real life for corpses to be converted into soil? I think it's only possible to fetilize soil with dead bodies =)

It's quite fast i recon if they are not put into a box and there is worms and other dirt factories present. :P
Poking around with a DFParser.
Bodypart names, creatures names in one easily overviewable place.

Oh my new (old) picture?

Inquisitor Saturn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2008, 09:23:57 am »

Depends on how hot it is. In a boiling-hot climate, a human-sized corpse could completely decay in a week.

Sir Edmund

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2008, 10:14:27 am »

humidity would also have to be take into account, a boiling hot climate like the Sahara takes ages for things to decompose and even then i would imagine it being more erosion from sand storms and the like. maybe we could have the recycling sewer system similar to what we have now in some places with pressurized chambers which have heat and water pumped in, then we could even skim methane off the top :P. Open the chamber and clean it out once a year and you have a nice dose of compost every so often. they also  often have several chambers that waste is passed through depending on how decomposed it is. Almost like those things they use to create fossil fuels but for shit.
EE
E@E
EEE

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2008, 04:36:53 pm »

The factors of decomposition are as follows
Note: I am GUESSING... In no way to I claim to be an expert

A) Air: Exposure to aid speeds up the process
B) Moisture: Exposure to Water speeds up the process
C) Macro: Creatures such as worms and fungi
D) Micro: viri and bacteria
E) Chemicals: Salt and Oils can slow this process down... Milk for example can speed it up.
F) Temperature: Cold slows it down, hot speeds it up.
G) The Corpse itself: Surface area, Mass, Tension, Diet...

Anyhow the problem is that just because something turns into soil it doesn't mean it is good for plants in the area. Most plants would find Corpse Soil too acidic.

Plants have an amazing system where they themselves make the soil good for others of their kind.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2008, 01:42:50 am »

Plants have an amazing system where they themselves make the soil good for others of their kind.

It's closer to "plants make the soil good for another kind of plant, which makes it good for a third, which makes it good for the first" (i.e. that notion of crop rotation).

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2008, 01:17:01 pm »

I'd certainly like being able to turn rotten meat into fertilizer

The spot would generate miasma even outside though. Those things reek unless in absolutely perfect condition

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2008, 02:32:28 pm »

I'd certainly like being able to turn rotten meat into fertilizer

The spot would generate miasma even outside though. Those things reek unless in absolutely perfect condition

Or you put it in a box.  My parent's place has a couple (different kinds) of compost heaps.  None of them are particularly smelly (well, the horse manure one is, but it has horse manure in it, which is what it stinks of).  The wood chip pile and the General Kitchen Bio-Waste one don't smell (the kitchen one is a plastic box, and while I've never taken a big whiff of it, it doesn't assault my nostrils when I dispose of more egg shells).

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2008, 03:02:37 pm »

Your boxes are properly ventilated. Now imagine what an old fridge full of fishguts and assorted crap smells like

It works but it'd undoubtedly be classified as a biohazard
Pages: [1] 2