Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Fire  (Read 1640 times)

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fire
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2008, 06:58:46 pm »

Unfortunately fire imps yeild no usable meat or bones when buchered.  Is there anything you can do with body parts?

On the contrary. Fire imp bones are quite valuable, their meat is to, although once it did "boil" in my butcher shop and even after preparing the meat it still kept on boiling in the stockpile. (could have been rather dangerous, with all the booze about, or can't it explode from boiling meat? dunno. Or was it their fat instead? Can't remember)
Also, their skin is quite valuable after being tanned.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 07:00:49 pm by Doppel »
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

uioped1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2008, 07:03:32 pm »

Awesome!  I can't wait.

Nethras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2008, 07:21:30 pm »

Which version did this start in and why are fire imps allowed to be so huge a threat now?

No idea when it happened, but since giant cave spiders are already more dangerous than megabeasts, why not fire imps that can burn down the map?  There should be SOME potential downside of having magma access, and walls/etc stop the fire just fine.

adamantyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tilting at Windmills
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2008, 02:47:28 pm »

Yeah, fire imps burned most of my map to a nice crunchy crisp. The fire does NOT travel up Z-levels, though, the higher elevation is fine. I suspect if the fire imp chased someone up there and threw a fireball, though, that wouldn't be the case.

I've walled off the lava section and removed all the natural ramps, which should keep the imps and magma men from causing trouble. (Unless they develop the ability to destroy walls.) I wonder if that means my marksdwarves can snipe them from atop the crater in relative safety, or if the fire imps can throw fireballs up a Z-axis... I'll have to experiment and find out.

Walls will stop fire, I wonder if digging channels will also stop it, or if it will "jump" over them unless they're particularly wide?
The learned fool writes his nonsense in better languages than the unlearned; but still it is nonsense. - Poor Richard's Almanac

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2008, 03:11:23 pm »

Walls will stop fire, I wonder if digging channels will also stop it, or if it will "jump" over them unless they're particularly wide?

Fire doesn't 'jump'.

Yet.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.
Pages: 1 [2]