Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 58

Author Topic: DF Eternal Suggestion Voting  (Read 459181 times)

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF Eternal Suggestion Voting
« Reply #390 on: April 14, 2010, 01:37:10 pm »

"Training dummies" is marked as [resolved] by its owner, probably because safe training was more important to him than the actual dummies.

Gender differentiation is partly done (castes, appearances), although nowhere near finished indeed. It might benefit from some reformulation.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: April 14, 2010, 01:46:28 pm »

Ah, didn't see that about the dummies.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: April 14, 2010, 02:01:37 pm »

"Training dummies" is marked as [resolved] by its owner, probably because safe training was more important to him than the actual dummies.

I own it, and that's pretty much why.  It's not my suggestion, but one that I added to the database.  The reason for the suggestion was averted with the new combat drills and training weapons, so its not needed anymore.

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: April 14, 2010, 05:42:27 pm »

I had an idea for the "vein mining" suggestion but couldn't find the thread for it. How about something that works the way designating mining works, but has settings like a stockpile? So you could select an area and then set which things to actually mine. A few handy presets like 'metal and gems' and some space for custom presets would make this a great tool to have.
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

Hondo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: April 21, 2010, 05:20:10 am »

Simplest way would be to add an "automine" designation, which when dug out would autodesignate anything of the same type in a 3x3 search square to also be automined.

I'm wary of solutions which involve more menus with weird interfaces.

SoulSkorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: April 25, 2010, 06:27:59 am »

I wish Toady would add multithreading. It's really not that hard to do if you can split up the work to be done (at a guess pathfinding would be a good candidate), and would make performance so much better. Especially with a nice clean library like boost::thread. Hell, I'd even share code I've written if it'd help.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: April 25, 2010, 08:00:39 am »

I wish Toady would add multithreading. It's really not that hard to do if you can split up the work to be done (at a guess pathfinding would be a good candidate), and would make performance so much better. Especially with a nice clean library like boost::thread. Hell, I'd even share code I've written if it'd help.

The fact that the game has not been built to be multithreaded means any attempt to do so would require a complete overhaul of the code, which would take a very long time. Time which could be better spent doing other things.

Also, Toady doesn't know enough about multithreading to do it himself, and he is very much unlikely to share his code to others to let them do so.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

SoulSkorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: April 25, 2010, 09:23:20 am »

The fact that the game has not been built to be multithreaded means any attempt to do so would require a complete overhaul of the code, which would take a very long time

Well, yes and no. It depends how the code is structured already. Say for example there's a loop that looks like this:
Code: [Select]
//pseudocode
for each dwarf
{
  dwarf.update();
}
Say update() takes a while to run, maybe it's working out the dwarf's current activity and/or pathfinding to get there.

With some decent thread management code, you can change it to this:

Code: [Select]
//pseudocode
for each dwarf
{
  threadManager.QueueTask(dwarf, dwarf::update);
}
wait for threads to finish

...where ThreadManager::QueueTask gives the function to one of the threads.

Of course you need to write/use-a-library-of the thread management code, but my point is that you don't necessarily have to make sweeping changes to the code. You just parallelise slow bits to speed them up.

[edit]Oh, and it doesn't take long to write a thread management library either. Mine's taking me about a week all up.[/edit]
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 09:27:18 am by SoulSkorpion »

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: April 25, 2010, 09:42:28 am »

[edit]Oh, and it doesn't take long to write a thread management library either. Mine's taking me about a week all up.[/edit]

Alternatively, rather than reinventing the wheel you could just use something like TBB, your example in particular is well suited for it.

Of course which well tested, fast and efficient library to use would depend on how you structure your code.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

SoulSkorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: April 25, 2010, 10:13:48 am »

Alternatively, rather than reinventing the wheel you could just use something like TBB, your example in particular is well suited for it.
Well, yes. I just brought it up to illustrate that multithreading stuff doesn't necessarily take ages to implement. I'm rolling my own as an exercise. Obviously if Toady's ever going to use multithreading he should use someone else's library.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: April 25, 2010, 11:26:02 am »

multithreading

For the love of....

It's been discussed, in threads more relevant to it than this one.  Go post there.  Or better yet, read those posts about why it won't happen and STFU because it's not going to happen.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: April 25, 2010, 11:29:10 am »

Cool it down please.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: April 25, 2010, 02:01:08 pm »

Well, yes. I just brought it up to illustrate that multithreading stuff doesn't necessarily take ages to implement. I'm rolling my own as an exercise. Obviously if Toady's ever going to use multithreading he should use someone else's library.

Always the best way to learn something I find :)

It's been discussed, in threads more relevant to it than this one.  Go post there.  Or better yet, read those posts about why it won't happen and STFU because it's not going to happen.

And it will be discussed again and again and again like many other subjects as new people bring it up, and each time I'll make the same points I did last time it was discussed. Also it will happen eventually as individual cores aren't getting faster quickly enough but I agree it won't happen any time soon.

Cool it down please.

We are all cool and happy bunnies :) don't mind us.
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: April 25, 2010, 03:12:38 pm »

And it will be discussed again and again and again like many other subjects as new people bring it up, and each time I'll make the same points I did last time it was discussed. Also it will happen eventually as individual cores aren't getting faster quickly enough but I agree it won't happen any time soon.

But not in this thread.  That's my point.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: April 25, 2010, 03:48:41 pm »

But not in this thread.  That's my point.

Fair enough, you know what threads need though is a way of forking off a conversion sensibly.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 58