Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Call to meeting area  (Read 703 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Call to meeting area
« on: December 03, 2008, 06:31:25 pm »

This is a variation on the suggestion to allow the player to actually start parties. I've had a few forts where I'd like to actually start a celebration of a major event. Winning a battle, finishing a megaproject, even just 'get everyone together so we can have some weddings' parties for generational forts.

So, along those lines, I'd like to have the ability to call dwarves to a specific meeting area. This way we could gather the dwarves in front of the completed megaproject, into a temple, or around an arena to watch an important fight.

-------------------------------

Going off of the arena thought, I'd be nice if creatures with LIKE_FIGHTING or violent-oriented personality traits could get good thoughts from watching enemies die from a safe place. Soldiers already get good thoughts from participating in battle, why not let the civilians get good thoughts from watching their soldiers/war dogs/traps kill off enemies and dangerous wildlife? This would allow the common player-built arenas to have more of a purpose then simply entertaining the player.

Of course, seeing their own soldiers lose a fight would cause bad thoughts. Maybe some sort of balancing point for battles that are won, but with losses?

EDIT: Changed 'dwarves' over to the less restrictive but more accurate tag-based suggestion. For the top part, assume that whatever sentient race(s) the player has in their fort are subject to the meeting call.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 07:19:11 pm by Mephansteras »
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Call to meeting area
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 06:41:54 pm »

nix the dwarves and you've got my vote.  Make people with high 'likes violence' scores like it.  Plus, it could serve to deaden violence sensitivity...  But those who don't like violence would be offended.  At that point, it's just a matter of setting the right races to the right personality scores

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 11:17:15 pm »

But those who don't like violence would be offended.
Urist McWuss cancels Haul Stone: Picketing Arena.

It would be nice if setting your own parties/grand tournaments meant that the dwarves wouldn't create a party for a set amount of time afterwards. That way, you could throw parties when nothings going on, to ensure that your workers'll be working when something is going on.
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 10:55:29 am »

and a bread and circuses fort would be just plain awesome