Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 669 670 [671] 672 673 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3564636 times)

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #10050 on: January 08, 2010, 02:55:34 pm »

there's not a defined spot on Cthulu that I know of that you could cripple to be mentally safe. Well really with him I thought trying to beat him up mostly took you from being against a god to having a pair of broken arms and being against a god.

If you take Derleth as Mythos canon (I'm ambivalent), then Cthulhu has shrugged off a nuke.  I guess the jury's still out on spinning vomit.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10051 on: January 08, 2010, 03:20:30 pm »

And simply having preset interations between genuses is better than trying to emulate it all. Well, maybe not "better", but simpler and more straightforward.

I wouldn't call it "simpler" in any absolute sense.  It has its own complications -- setting up those relationships and maintaining them as you add new creatures will be a pain, even if you work with groups of creatures instead of individuals.

Johnny Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10052 on: January 08, 2010, 03:21:57 pm »

You can beat Cthulhu by driving a boat through him, apparently.

Also Toady I hope you are okay it would be pretty ironic/terrible if you were dead or something.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10053 on: January 08, 2010, 03:24:06 pm »

Also Toady I hope you are okay it would be pretty ironic/terrible if you were dead or something.

It would be especially ironic considering that he updated the dev log this morning.

Vicomt

• Bay Watcher
  • Just call me Vic.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #10054 on: January 08, 2010, 03:39:34 pm »

my cthulhu mythos comes direct from the RPG, I've still not read the originals to my shame. About all I remember these days is constantly rolling to stop myself from going insane, then realising it was going to happen anyway, and just carrying on playing insane ;)

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10055 on: January 08, 2010, 03:51:47 pm »

Yay! TOADY LIVES!

Congratulations on surviving!
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10056 on: January 08, 2010, 03:56:01 pm »

We can still say it'll be out by Christmas, only this time we have more of a chance to be right.

And simply having preset interations between genuses is better than trying to emulate it all. Well, maybe not "better", but simpler and more straightforward. Emulating is more of a task, but can still be reduced to a matrix of possible interactions. Cross-check all creatures living in the same biomes, check food prefrences and behavior, match activity cycles, and you'll have an appropriately realistic system. So, every worldgen cycle, reduce the victim populations in every area by (their predators population in same area times fuzzy number), and then apply growth again.
It sort of makes the game work less hard but only because you're throwing the work on humans.
From a programming view it seems bad to do it this way because it would be so easy to accidentally leave out the connections and if you ever want to plug in something from someone else's mod it will be a horrible mess full of it referring to creatures that no longer exist and none o the existing animals knowing what to do with it.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10057 on: January 08, 2010, 04:02:21 pm »

Since adventurer skills are coming up after this release, I was wondering, will adventurers be able to construct custom workshops in the near future? If the answer is yes, let the record stand that my head exploded with glee.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #10058 on: January 08, 2010, 04:06:45 pm »

This came up a few months ago, but I don't think it was ever really decided whether or not it was going in for this release.

Are we going to be seeing an option to dump the legends data out to a text file of some sort (xml, raw text, whatever) this release? Or is that for a later release?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Vicomt

• Bay Watcher
  • Just call me Vic.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #10059 on: January 08, 2010, 04:09:35 pm »

It sort of makes the game work less hard but only because you're throwing the work on humans.
From a programming view it seems bad to do it this way because it would be so easy to accidentally leave out the connections and if you ever want to plug in something from someone else's mod it will be a horrible mess full of it referring to creatures that no longer exist and none o the existing animals knowing what to do with it.

Actually, from my own point of view (and purely to provide a contradiction, not a flamewar) I like to create frameworks than can be applied in many ways via customisation, my entire software career has been based on that premis, and it seems to be working so far ;).

my point is, there are users, and there are superusers. users use stuff that superusers create, create a framework that will allow the users to do their user stuff, and the superusers to go nuts, and you create a much more extensible and emergent product.

swings and roundabouts, which works best? dunno :P

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10060 on: January 08, 2010, 04:15:04 pm »

Sort of, he can never really die in the same sense well all know it. Just forced to take a nap.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #10061 on: January 08, 2010, 04:32:08 pm »

This came up a few months ago, but I don't think it was ever really decided whether or not it was going in for this release.

Are we going to be seeing an option to dump the legends data out to a text file of some sort (xml, raw text, whatever) this release? Or is that for a later release?

I really want this one, I've had a legends mode explorer idea rattling around in my head for a while.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10062 on: January 08, 2010, 04:35:09 pm »

Sort of, he can never really die in the same sense well all know it. Just forced to take a nap.
IIRC he got over that almost immediately. Though it did perhaps afford the boat just enough time to make a getaway. It was never specifically explained why Cthulhu wasn't unleashed on the world that day, but my bet is that it had more to do with disrupting whatever the cultists had planned than the damage one little steam yacht could do.

Though I guess if it becomes possible to specifically stab out something's eyes first the stonegaze stuff would probably be a functional alternative there but there's not a defined spot on Cthulu that I know of that you could cripple to be mentally safe.
There's an easy solution, just cut out your eyes.
Akur Akir Akam!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10063 on: January 08, 2010, 04:36:41 pm »

Would infrared goggles provide protection? I suspect it was tried at least at some point in the books, but have to ask.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10064 on: January 08, 2010, 04:46:07 pm »

Quote from: ManaUser link=topic=30026.msg960829#msg960829
It was never specifically explained why Cthulhu wasn't unleashed on the world that day, but my bet is that it had more to do with disrupting whatever the cultists had planned than the damage one little steam yacht could do.

The usual explanation is that Cthulhu will rise "when the stars are right."  When the stars come into an alignment that's sort of but not perfectly "right," Cthulhu becomes restless, R'lyeh rises a little bit, and humans the world over--especially artsy and imaginative types--have nightmares, go insane, and worship Cthulhu as a god.

Human cultists in the Lovecraftian cosmology have little or no effect on Cthulhu's awakening . . . they're byproducts rather than causal agents.  One of the themes underlying Mythos fiction is the insignificance of humans in the face of the vastness of the universe.  A number of Mythos beings are associated with "things that are huge" . . . Cthulhu represents the ocean and man's fear of being lost at sea or (personally for Lovecraft) grossed out by its cold, slimy, tentacle-y alien fishy-ness.
Pages: 1 ... 669 670 [671] 672 673 ... 1065