Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: How to bring people into DF  (Read 4254 times)

qwertilliopasd

• Bay Watcher
  • Octopus?
    • View Profile
Re: How to bring people into DF
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2009, 03:28:37 pm »

Dwarf Fortress is a very unique game. The main reason I play it is the same reason many of my friends don't. It allows, and requires, a large amount of player creativity. I don't like being restricted to some other person's idea of what my characters look like. The little smiley face gives me just the right amount of information. I get to fill in the rest with my imagination.
Some people want the game to give them the image them a hoard of goblins rushing towards the entrance, while others want the game to give them the idea of the same event so they can fill in the rest themselves. The latter play DF.

Just talk about the nifty things happening in your fortress. I got hooked by a coworker telling stories like mining into a magma pipe and fighting off the magma men and fire imps that came crawling out. Sounded like fun, so I downloaded the game and got a taste of Toadys idea of fun (then found the wiki and was a bit more successful).
What does a hermit need coffins for?
The other six dwarves.  How do you think he got to be a hermit?

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2009, 03:36:28 pm »

I really should try getting my wife to play DF...
For they would be your masters.

tigrex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2009, 03:49:04 pm »

Stock answer #1:  DF is actually a tool for aliens from the future to tell which of humanity's members are worth saving from an upcoming supernova.  Your friends won't play?  Well, they'll be begging to get on the UFO when the seas start boiling.

Stock answer #2:  DF will always be a niche experience. 

Personally, I find that DF ruined roguelikes for me.  I used to play every single RL that existed, and now I can't be bothered while there's infinite random worlds for me to explore.  I used to enjoy them so much, too...

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2009, 04:11:19 pm »

I think DF is the beginning of something grand and extraordinary. So really, it's like people who couldn't deal with Rock & Roll when it first showed up.

knightedskull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2009, 03:04:40 pm »

I think DF is the beginning of something grand and extraordinary. So really, it's like people who couldn't deal with Rock & Roll when it first showed up.

I agree, possibly the ultimate simulator in a way? Once its all fixed and finished ect.............screw graphics this game does alot better than some of the games out there today and its doing fine without being half done lol.

Kroack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2009, 07:43:27 pm »

I agree, possibly the ultimate simulator in a way? Once its all fixed and finished ect.............screw graphics this game does alot better than some of the games out there today and its doing fine without being half done lol.

I agree. I think that DFs graphics are part of what makes it such a unique experience.   

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2009, 08:14:36 pm »

I about have my mom playing DF, and she doesn't play games. Actually, she probably would if her computer could handle more than 7 dwarves at 10fps.

I also have a friend at college who might try it, but she can't access this site thanks to really strict firewall settings. Pretty much nothing goes through.

father_alexander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2009, 08:22:57 pm »

Dwarf Fortress is a very unique game. The main reason I play it is the same reason many of my friends don't. It allows, and requires, a large amount of player creativity. I don't like being restricted to some other person's idea of what my characters look like. The little smiley face gives me just the right amount of information. I get to fill in the rest with my imagination.
Some people want the game to give them the image them a hoard of goblins rushing towards the entrance, while others want the game to give them the idea of the same event so they can fill in the rest themselves. The latter play DF.

Just talk about the nifty things happening in your fortress. I got hooked by a coworker telling stories like mining into a magma pipe and fighting off the magma men and fire imps that came crawling out. Sounded like fun, so I downloaded the game and got a taste of Toadys idea of fun (then found the wiki and was a bit more successful).

i agree a lot but in another way, its not exactly the graphics, its the general deal, i think that people with curiosity and/or imagination will enjoy this game 5 times more than those that lack it, this is not just because of the graphic but because of the idea behind it, the point of dwarf fortress itself is the gigantic range of options you have, you place in a little bit of imagination and its really similar to a kid playing with legos for example, or toy soldiers or whatever you want to choose, its because it has the same element the toys have, its not 100% response to the game, its 50% responce and 50% original from your mind and what you want to create.
i used to do the same with every strategy game, after i beated the caimpaing i would start playing custom maps and creating stories and objectives of my own, for example in warcraft 3 playing as undead and killing EVERYTHING it was kinda roleplaying even wen they game didnt quite allowed me to do it, DF brings that element to the front line and uses it to the extreme, plus by randomly generating diferent maps and situation it improves the quantity of diferent things you can create

many people get bored of this game for 3 reasons
1)the learning curve, its always the same, you start and you dont know nothing, suddently you know a lot more, then you get stuck, then you learn a lot more, and so on, but some people dont have the patience to live with that, they get frustrated and so they leave the game before they even get to enjoy it

2)the graphics and interface, basically the same as before, some people dont have the patience to learn how to do everything, and many others dont have fun doing that , i really enjoyed learning from my own mystakes, it really shows that you are making progress slowly, but you see the results, also many get sick of the graphics because of the impersonality, since they are used that the characters are defined as such and they dont have to add a personality themselves they see simply smilies, we all see dwarves, instead of read letters we see corpses, they just see red letters, imagination has a lot of deal in this

3)objective and entertainment: as i said some people like to get a task to do, and this game is not a regular videgame i insist this game is kinda like playing with legos, you need to have interest in doing "something", either it is building a gigantic town, a haunted fortress, or an epic war, its up to you, its like a child's game you create it, but some people dont like that, they want to see their objectives and get a challenge sent to them, not create that challenge themselves, again this game is made for curious and imaginative people

i do think that a good tutorial and a better layout and graphics would help  A LOT but it also depends of the kind of people that plays, not everyone likes playing with legos or toys, some just want to shoot or kill something, and so on.

also i got my GF to play it, im teaching her slowly :P and i got another friend of mine who loves tolkien to like it too, he just has a hard time learning it, if people have a special liking for something about what you have in Df its more likely that they will like it or at least give it a try

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2009, 08:45:31 pm »

Personally, I think if DF were taken around to various colleges and promoted as an educational simulation, in some way, there's atleast a chance that some of them would be smart enough to introduce it to their students.

Possibly even highschools, although that's arguably a considerably more nefarious political environment.

All rhetoric aside about how good the game is, though, DF could be used for any number of educational purposes, due to the depth of the simulation, and what's being attempted.

Just the fact that it's an example of a successful independent project would be worthy of promotion.

Gork

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2009, 08:57:33 pm »

I remembered I got hooked up like this:

- Read Boatmurdered. ("Hmm... that's quite an interesting game. And pretty bad graphics")
- Downloaded DF and started an Adventurer ("What the FUCK, how do you do stuff in this game? Z is for sleep... now what?")
- Started a Fortress ("I can't build beds. ;_;")
- Uninstalled DF.
- 6 months later, vacation time! ("Let's give DF another chance. Oh look, a tutorial!")
;D

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2009, 09:01:33 pm »

hold their family members hostage
No, you ambush them, tie them up and gag them, and make them watch you play DF until they understand what's going on.  It's how my brother got me into it  ;D
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2009, 09:07:26 pm »

I have to admit, I read Boatmurdered.

That wasn't the only reason by far, but it's great advertizement.

tehmarken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2009, 09:54:24 pm »

Have somebody read the story of boatmurdered. Give them the game with a good graphics pack so it's not so intimidating with the ascii. Then give them the wiki and a tutorial.

The cackle as the spend hours hooked on this game.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2009, 10:05:35 pm »

This is what prevented me from getting into DF at first

honestly I didn't get the whole boatmurdered thing, i read a little bit of it but didn't really follow and thought it was some kind of fan-fiction thing. but i kept reading things online where people described their fortresses and eventually I tried it, without the wiki. I start the game, have no idea what the hell i'm looking at, start reading the help menus, and jesus christ the help menus. did you ever read those before you knew how the game worked? they're no help at all. it's like okay, a bunch of menus. i'll just read the first one. oh, 5 submenus. okay, first one. oh, 5 more submenus. okay, dwarves do this and dwarves do that HOW DO I START PLAYING?! after an hour or so of reading and still no idea what was going on or what even my objective was, I gave up.

then 4 months later or so I was reading about DF again and someone posted a link to the wiki and a graphics pack and it was like OH SWEET GOD THIS GAME IS AWESOME.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2009, 10:19:45 pm »

You didn't pay respects to Boatmurdered, the penultimate story of a great era of great DFing.

Since DF is hard, it is fun, now the only active member, and I will bring Dwarven ingenuity to the noobs, and the casual players, I will help anyone who asks, from Walkthrough, to Mega-Mega Forts.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 10:28:51 pm by Foa »
Pages: 1 [2] 3