Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 106

Author Topic: Life and Times of Strife26  (Read 142838 times)

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
Re: Life and Times of Strife26
« Reply #1245 on: May 10, 2011, 04:33:46 pm »

Well, sounds very productive, I feel safer already. lol

No really, I actually did.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: May 13, 2011, 02:17:47 pm »

Stuff's happened. Not much notable. I finally got to a Px (post exchange). First time since I returned from leave, so I've finally gotten my new flashlight, after I found one in a guard tower two days earlier. An effort will be made to find whomever lost it. Eventually.

Sergeant: "We're supposed to have more 5.56 to train with than this. Go check in the vehicles for it"

Best case scenario:
Strife: "Negative on the ammo here, but there's a crate of AT-4's, Sergeant!"

Actual case:
Strife: "No ammo here, and we've got no idea where the range actually is."
Sergeant: "We've got the grid coordinate. We'll head in the general direction until we get there."

<Five hours of driving and one slightly damaged village power grid later>

Sergeant: "Damn. It's really hot out here."

<One hour of firing later>

Sergeant: "Okay, pack it up. We'll turn the rest of the ammo back in."

Strife: Happy to have gotten some time in with a M249, and considerably concerned that his eye protection really really hampers his firing.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 04:19:52 am by Strife26 »
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: May 14, 2011, 11:37:59 am »

Doing really well here, actually.

Getting enough sleep, and my finger is doing okay. For the record, I didn't cut it on purpose, although I was knowingly sharpening a knife in such a way that I had a good chance of cutting myself. I also no longer think that it was worth it. I'm a pretty easy person to befriend, here and in real life. Especially amongst the non-combat types here, I'm everyone's buddy. Included in this list is every combat medic on base. Whenever one saw my finger, he'd insist on taking a look at it, redisenfecting it (seriously, the original cut didn't hurt, now it's been stung umpteen times), and dressing it in a different way.

Stuff is seeming nicely real, although I'm not exactly sure why. I talked to my mother today. She said that I'm a thoughtful person for calling and sending stuff, but I really think that I'm the other way. I don't call home nearly as much as I could or should, plus I only send stuff for holidays and I'm generally a few weeks late with that. Difference in perceptions, I guess.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: May 16, 2011, 08:02:47 am »

I had something to post that I think was going to be mildly amusing, but I can't remember what it was going to be. This actually happens a fair bit.

We a really nice break between work items last night, so I (along with most of the platoon) slept for 11 hours straight. Feeling really well rested now.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: May 17, 2011, 01:26:03 am »

Still not much to talk about. Feeling reflective lately, so I changed my signature to be all religious and stuff.

When I'm going on a mission, I wear a lot of different things on my head that all have to work together.
My helmet, my chinstrap, my NVG's, the elbow that the NVG's attach to, the tie down for the NVG's, the d ring that ties that cord onto my helmet band, the helmet band itself, the bunny ears that keep said band in place, the plate in the front that holds the NVG elbow and the band, an IR strobe light, a 9 volt battery for the strobe, my big clunky bullet-proof eye pro, inserts for my eye pro, and finally, the big set of noise cancellation headphones/ intercom system/ radio headset / microphone I wear.

Now, when all this equipment works together, it's all fine and good. However, when it doesn't, problems can arise. Case in point, recently, I had to jump off the MRAP quickly to ground guide it back to our parking spot. We were in a hurry because there were some other vehicles coming in behind us, and we were the lead truck at that point in time. I attempted to take my headset off, and my glasses came off with them. I'm pretty blind without 'em. This lead to a strange moment where I attempted to mimic Velma from Scooby Doo. In full armor, in the back of a moving armored truck, in near darkness, while carrying 255 rounds of ammunition, with a rifle one point slung on my shoulder.

I ended up guiding the truck in near-blind and found them later. 

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: May 17, 2011, 08:17:44 pm »

Missed my weekly RP session. Again. 3rd week without it. I'm sad.

It'll be a really funny story, with another really funny story afterward. When I get around to telling. Exciting and exhilarating. And dangerous, of course.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: May 17, 2011, 08:49:04 pm »

I am excited. Teach me, teacher.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: May 17, 2011, 08:50:18 pm »

Needless to say, it involved me quoting Captain Macmillan from Modern Warfare and missing my RP session. Again.

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: May 17, 2011, 09:06:19 pm »

We've... missed... you...

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: May 20, 2011, 02:09:05 am »

Felling kinda down lately. Been trying to sleep more and drink additional water, but it doesn't seem to be helping much. Meh, I'll probably get over it in a few days.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: May 21, 2011, 03:24:09 am »

Needless to say, it involved me quoting Captain Macmillan from Modern Warfare and missing my RP session. Again.

Do want to know.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: May 21, 2011, 02:27:56 pm »

I had my second most common sort of cognitive dissonance today, the one where I realize that I'm 19 and supposed to be a responsible adult type. I tried to call all my family, but I've got a decided lack of phone numbers. Of the numbers I did have, no one answered. Meh.

Doing some thinking about expanding my personal setting some more. Made another character for it (based roughly on one of the voodoo dolls that I carry). My own personal wiki of notes is slowly getting bigger and bigger, although I'm still really hesitant to actually write anything.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: May 22, 2011, 03:20:12 pm »

I got to the point where FFT wasn't fun anymore. Two calculators with holy are awful bad game breakers, with or without Orlando. So I just ran through the rest of the plot quickly. Still a cool ending, although the credits are as long as heck now.

I've got Birth By Sleep next, but I'm going to have to get a new cable for my old psp, so I can play Wild Arms 2 again.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: May 23, 2011, 08:11:44 am »

NCO: Alright, we're going to have organized gym PT today.
Privates: Various complaints

Later
NCO: Okay Strife, for a warm up, you're going to do four sets of ten reps on this incline press.
Strife looks at weights.
Strife looks at NCO.
Strife does some math.
Strife: That's more than my body weight . . .

It went downhill from there. Typing this is actually really quite tough with my arms not quite responding right.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: May 23, 2011, 06:30:06 pm »

Well, it beats the alternative.
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 106