Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Awesome spot bragging and question about an experiment  (Read 4701 times)

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
Re: Awesome spot bragging and question about an experiment
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2009, 12:59:23 am »

Just out of curiosity, how deep is the ocean, and how deep is the rock under it? The reason I ask is this; it should be possible, if there is enough ground underneath, to hide any walls that you build to retain water.

So, something like this
Code: [Select]
~~~#      #~~~   -
~~~#<wall>#~~~   |
~|~#      #~|~   Water
~|~#      #~|~   |
~v~#      #~v~   -
---- ---- ----   Ocean Floor
#____####____#   Bedrock
###_######_###   |
###_######_###   v
###_######_###
###_######_###
###_######_###

So, step one involves building your much detested obsidian walls by the magma drop method and then pumping out the interior with good ol' fashioned pump stacks.

Once it's dry, channel all the tiles touching the inside of the seawall, and dig underneath the wall like indicated (e.g. a well under the wall tiles, plus the 2 tiles out from each wall tile, taking care not to puncture the ceiling and letting the ocean in prematurely.

Build your glass dome in the middle, a single support under the wall (and link it up), evacuate the under-wall diggings, and drop some more obsidian on the tiles marked by arrows. This will punch through the floor tiles remaining, removing the support to the walls, allowing you to drop the entire wall system into the bottom of the ocean, where it will lay flush with the sea floor. The only sign that there were ever any walls will be the odd bit of debris from the magma pumps (which can be minimised with careful building practice) and a one tile deep trench on either side of where the walls were (which can eventually be removed by more magma dropping).

I haven't tested it, but I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work if built correctly. Oh, and it requires a flattish bit of seafloor
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Muefigilo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2009, 02:04:35 am »

Could you post at least the seed and approximate location of your embark point?  This sounds like a fun place to mess around on.

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2009, 10:48:18 am »

Gravedig: I have uploaded the map to the DFMA. http://mkv25.net/dfma/poi-12344-12themagmapipeandtheendofmanytours
Any comments/suggestions?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 12:32:46 pm by Aldaris »
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2009, 04:03:28 am »

how far under are you looking for? you could just  dig out the nearby area, then collapse it by dropping stones from above.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2009, 04:19:51 am »

Well, nice work on the pipe. for some reason, mine always end at absolute z=0, and oceans bottom out at z=1.

You do mean absolute elevation and not relative I hope?
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets
Pages: 1 2 [3]