Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2138571 times)

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #2085 on: July 20, 2010, 12:47:00 am »

I'm busy upgrading my main entrance from green to clear glass. This is slightly complicated by the fact that said entrance is punched through an aquifer. I've got the pumps roaring, but for aesthetic reasons, they don't have complete coverage. No matter, it'll all happen eventually. After the first segment of retaining wall comes down, some idiot woodcutter gets the bright idea to take down her segment from the wet side.

Naturally, she has to cancel almost immediately, and decides to take a nap. Right there. In the mud. The same spot where the water was too deep to work in. Right beneath a bank of screw pumps roaring away at full power.

I really don't know what to say.
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.

hailthefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: July 20, 2010, 01:38:50 am »

Anybody ever notice that the broker always gets hungry, thirsty, tired, and needs a break RIGHT WHEN a vital caravan shows up?

BlackRogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2087 on: July 20, 2010, 01:44:47 am »

Of course, and all at the same time too.

Epacsten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: July 20, 2010, 02:12:14 am »

I try to have more than one dwarf with the appraisal skill so I can appoint someone else when that inevitably happens.
Urist McMayor: "Uh, err, h-hello --"
Kung Ustruorgu: "BE ENGULFED IN CLOUDS OF LOCUSTS AND EATEN ALIVE, MORTAL, FOR I BRING GREETINGS FROM TRADING GUILD. THERE IS MUCH TO DISSCUSS REGARDING TRADE BETWEEN OUR NATIONS AND YOUR INEVITABLE DEATH CAUSED BY HORIBLE MUTILATION OF YOUR PELVIC FLOOR.
WE ALSO PROPOSE EXCANGE OF SILK SOCKS, COOKIES AND TOYS."

NightmareBros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2089 on: July 20, 2010, 03:26:59 am »

One of my dwarves just died of thirst.
In the middle of the biggest party my fortress has thrown since the last party.
Said party has now turned into a gigantic fistfight. Tantruming legendary wrestler FTW.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: July 20, 2010, 05:56:23 am »

Suddenly, my fortress was filling with water. Odd, since my irrigation system was long sealed off. All I have is this indoor waterfall that drains into a cavern...

Oh.... It seems a tree grew in my drainage pipe.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

fanatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2091 on: July 20, 2010, 10:26:31 am »

Anybody ever notice that the broker always gets hungry, thirsty, tired, and needs a break ON HIS WAY TO THE DEPOT , RIGHT WHEN a vital caravan shows up?

Yes.
fanatic cancels play DF : gone berzerk at framerate.                                                  x1000
------------------------
Pour magma first - ask questions later!

einstein9073

• Bay Watcher
  • Thus spice intestinally loft Blanka.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: July 20, 2010, 01:27:47 pm »

Suddenly, my fortress was filling with water. Odd, since my irrigation system was long sealed off. All I have is this indoor waterfall that drains into a cavern...
Oh.... It seems a tree grew in my drainage pipe.
I had this problem in the fill pipe for my cistern. *facedesk*
Opened it back up, built a road, closed it off again...
Strike the earth!
Dwarf Fortress: It menaces with spikes of AWESOME.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: July 20, 2010, 03:21:10 pm »

My current fortress, randomly but aptly named Woundcolored, has had its share of problems with skeletal elephants ever since it was founded. I thought I finally had found the solution.

Piece of advice: never try to kill skeletal elephants with lava, just don't.
I now have a herd of burning skelephants stampeding through my fortress, spreading fire. It just doesn't seem to kill them. I had nice studded iron doors to keep the pachiderms out to, but found out too late that they are blocked by rubbish.

Edit: One of the skeletal elephants actually had severe battle wounds before being set on fire, it misses three legs, and is dragging itself along by its trunk, burning everything in its path. It's quite horrible to watch.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 03:38:41 pm by Bralbaard »

Libelnon

• Bay Watcher
  • iz happeh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: July 20, 2010, 05:40:35 pm »

My current fortress, randomly but aptly named Woundcolored, has had its share of problems with skeletal elephants ever since it was founded. I thought I finally had found the solution.

Piece of advice: never try to kill skeletal elephants with lava, just don't.
I now have a herd of burning skelephants stampeding through my fortress, spreading fire. It just doesn't seem to kill them. I had nice studded iron doors to keep the pachiderms out to, but found out too late that they are blocked by rubbish.

Edit: One of the skeletal elephants actually had severe battle wounds before being set on fire, it misses three legs, and is dragging itself along by its trunk, burning everything in its path. It's quite horrible to watch.

I actually rofled.
I bet manly tea tastes like crushed nerd dreams.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: July 20, 2010, 06:09:05 pm »

I built a nice fort on ice. Carved out rooms, some nice large warehouse, a farm under a aquificer near the taiga. Now all I need are weapons so I dig for iron, after several z-levels and 2 caverns I realize there's no iron or flux, how am I suppose to fight with copper? I abandoned and looked at the site, there's no sedimentary layers. All that work for nothing.

Tenth Speed Writer

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2096 on: July 20, 2010, 07:41:31 pm »

My best mason stonewalled </pun> my efforts to create a Hall of Historic Dwarven Badassery by creating a chain of statues depicting my mayor and her favorite things. He did, though, redeem himself by later finishing a =Statue= of said mayor terrified and surrounded by cave spiders. >:D
Quote from: Pickled Tink
I don't believe in a standing army. I believe in cruel and unusual architecture.

Falconer Lombard

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Moep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2097 on: July 20, 2010, 10:13:53 pm »

I decided to remove the fps cap on my fort just to see what it could do. Bad move, my fps rocketed up to 300,000+ when I was irrigating the farms. The water filled the fort before I could get to the lever.

Guess I better put the cap back on.
Initiate of the Moep

Teh_Havvers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2098 on: July 21, 2010, 04:49:35 am »

Okay, what was originally a minor facepalm has turned into a full on headdesk.

So I want to get at a piece of wood that's fallen into a murky pool, since my current megaproject requires lots of wood and I'm trying to salvage every piece of the stuff I can get my hands on.

Now, said murky pool is just one mined tile away from my depot drowning trap. I bust open the pool and watch in horror as my perfectly serviceable trap is completely flooded over by an aquifer that had been cleverly hiding in plain sight. My "plan" and I use the word plan here generously, is to rescue the depot trap by damming over the aquifer with lava. It works well enough, but I decide the lava isn't draining fast enough so I can recover the land for other uses, so I order one of my dwarves to tear open a hole in the wall to speed things up. Said dwarf decided he WASN'T going to try to run away from the red-hot death liquid. Said dwarf was also my legendary gem cutter.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 04:51:06 am by Teh_Havvers »

Urist McTaverish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: July 21, 2010, 07:01:59 am »

Digging a channel up a mountain in such a way that all my miners were caught in a cave-in.  Some died, all the others were too injured to continue, and I didn't have an infirmary set up yet.
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.
But at least after all the chaos, the weather cleared.
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 729