Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Skill levels, quality, and moods  (Read 5842 times)

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
Skill levels, quality, and moods
« on: May 06, 2009, 04:38:38 pm »

So, I'm currently keeping an eye on moods for the first time, trying to understand more about them, do some social engineering to get more of which ones I want, and noticed an odd thing (or "odd" according to the wiki).  Two, actually...

I'm wondering if the wiki is outdated, or what.  It has a long list of skills that default to Craftdwarf moods, and a chart of other skills that produce, let's say, more desirable Legendary skills.

1) I had a dabbling Furnace Operator who was struck, dove into a craftshop and produced a Craft.  According to the wiki, "dabbling" is enough to activate the skill...

Dwarves with only the following skills will construct their artifact at a craftsdwarf's workshop:...
mood & skills: http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Mood#Skills_and_workshops

According to that, as a (dabbling) furnace operator they should have grabbed a forge of some sort. The dwarf had nothing other than dabbling farmer skills (grower, herbalist) from miscellaneous busy work. 

Is it the highest skill, not the highest "mood" skill?  Is it based on experience, and not level? Is it random if the level is listed as the same?

2) I gave a peasant a job to produce 1 (silver) weapon, to give them dabbling weaponsmith.  They produced a +fine silver axe+, on their very first weapon ever.  According to the wiki ("skills"), this should not be possible - whassup wi' dat? 

skill & quality: http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Quality#Skill_and_quality_levels

I'm assuming the %'s from the wiki are from the RAW's or other code, so... anyone?

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Skill levels, quality, and moods
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 05:00:41 pm »

I think the mood list might be wrong/outdated. I've never had furnace operator or mechanic work as mood skills (and I wonder about tanner, weaver, and siege engineer). I'm certain moods are determined by the highest mood skill because I always give my farmers/etc dabbling armoursmith and that seems to work.

The rest of your questions, I'm not so sure about.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 05:01:41 pm »

Is it the highest skill, not the highest "mood" skill?  Is it based on experience, and not level?
This, each dwarf levels up skills just like you can level up skills in adventure mode, and the higher level always wins when it comes to many different things, such as what job they are shown as.
This is why most miners always stay stuck as miners, even if you give them another job, since mining levels so quickly.
If they are at the same level with 2 or more skills when a mood strikes, I assume they will take the skill with more experience, and if they happen to have the same experience with those two or more skills, I would assume that the game would pick the first skill on the list.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 05:20:50 pm »

So, if you want to "social engineer" a mood, and have your dwarf take, say, "dabbling weaponsmith", then they can't train as a pump operator, and you have to turn off "all dwarfs harvest", or they'll soon have a skill higher than they got from that 1 weapon they made.

<Eric Cartman voice>
Dammit.!
</Eric Cartman voice>

Anyone ever had a furnace operator, mechanic, or siege engineer (a wiki question) skill get mood'ed?  Or something in the tanner/leatherworker/weaver/clothier series of "less desirable" skills?  Carpenter? (Now that these are suspect, I wonder about the rest of secondary-ish skills...)

If it's outdated, it should be confirmed then changed.

(edited to reflect posts below)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 02:47:17 pm by Albedo »

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 05:54:29 pm »

Anyone ever had a furnace operator, mechanic, or siege engineer (a wiki question) skill get mood'ed?  Or something in the tanner/leatherworker/weaver/clothier series of "less desirable" skills?  Carpenter? (Now that these are suspect, I wonder about the rest of secondary-ish skills...)

I had a moody mechanic recently; he produced a mechanism.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

Kinnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 05:56:10 pm »

I've definitely had a weaver get a mood - gave me a legendary weaver.

Growing, brewing, cooking, social skills definitely aren't considered when choosing the moodable skill. I've just started looking at this myself, but haven't really paid attention before now.

Edit: I can also confirm carpenters get moods.

Walliard

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 09:52:17 pm »

So, if you want to "social engineer" a mood, and have your dwarf take, say, "dabbling weaponsmith", then they can't train as a pump operator, and you have to turn off "all dwarfs harvest", or they'll soon have a skill higher than they got from that 1 weapon they made.

Not so. Farmer and pump operator are non-mood skills, and so will not trump weaponsmith when it comes time for an artifact.
Toady, how much of DF is inspired by Labyrinth? Is Armok actually David Bowie? Because that would simultaneously be disturbing and awesome.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 10:35:27 pm »

So it's just "Furnace Operator" that is not moodable, and listed wrong in the wiki? (And perhaps Siege Engineering?)

Because I had exactly the situation you're describing, and moreso (more than just a few experience points in Furnace Operator), and he dove straight into a Craftshop.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 11:03:47 pm »

Of the mechanic (light red) skills, mechanic itself is moodable.  Siege engineering/operating and pump operating are not.

Of the metalworking (dark gray) skills, only furnace operating is not.  Furnace operating used to be moodable, at least in the 2D version and possibly early 3D, so I'm not surprised the wiki is wrong.

Of the farming (brown), hunting (green), and fishing (light blue) skills, none are moodable.

Architecture (purple) is not moodable to the best of my knowledge.

Masonry and stone detailing (white) both are.  (I have not personally seen a stone detailing mood for some time, this may have changed.)

Mining (light gray) is not.

All craft (dark blue), gem (green), and wood (yellow) skills are moodable, except strand extracting I believe.

The hauling jobs do not gain skills, so are not moodable.

Alchemy (purple?) is not moodable as far as I know.  Alchemy isn't a real job (yet) either.

Combat skills are of course not moodable.

corvvs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 11:28:18 pm »

Of the mechanic (light red) skills, mechanic itself is moodable.  Siege engineering/operating and pump operating are not.

Of the metalworking (dark gray) skills, only furnace operating is not.  Furnace operating used to be moodable, at least in the 2D version and possibly early 3D, so I'm not surprised the wiki is wrong.

Of the farming (brown), hunting (green), and fishing (light blue) skills, none are moodable.

Architecture (purple) is not moodable to the best of my knowledge.

Masonry and stone detailing (white) both are.  (I have not personally seen a stone detailing mood for some time, this may have changed.)

Mining (light gray) is not.

All craft (dark blue), gem (green), and wood (yellow) skills are moodable, except strand extracting I believe.

The hauling jobs do not gain skills, so are not moodable.

Alchemy (purple?) is not moodable as far as I know.  Alchemy isn't a real job (yet) either.

Combat skills are of course not moodable.

Engraving has moods, and I'm pretty sure mining does too. They both use a mason's workshop.

Never seen it, but I would have expected that siege engineering would have moods that produce artifact-quality ballista parts or whatnot.

Kinnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 12:29:40 am »

Yep, I can confirm that mining has moods, and yes, it uses the mason's workshop.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 12:42:37 am »

If they are at the same level with 2 or more skills when a mood strikes, I assume they will take the skill with more experience, and if they happen to have the same experience with those two or more skills, I would assume that the game would pick the first skill on the list.

And now thanks to a mood in my current fortress, I can refine this.
If a dwarf has multiple moodable skills of the same level(In this case, Novice.), the game will choose the first one on the list, in this case, it was metalcrafting, over armorsmith and weaponsmith.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 02:11:07 am »

If a dwarf has multiple moodable skills of the same level(In this case, Novice.), the game will choose the first one on the list, in this case, it was metalcrafting, over armorsmith and weaponsmith.

I disagree with this; I have observed that they take the skill that they have the most experience in.  If they have done one mason job first and then two metalcrafting jobs, they will choose metalcrafting.  Same experience level (dabbling) but 60 experience in metalcrafting versus 30 in masonry.

If they have exactly the same number of experience points in multiple skills, then it's probably as you say.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2009, 03:24:13 am »

I disagree with this; I have observed that they take the skill that they have the most experience in.  If they have done one mason job first and then two metalcrafting jobs, they will choose metalcrafting.  Same experience level (dabbling) but 60 experience in metalcrafting versus 30 in masonry.

If they have exactly the same number of experience points in multiple skills, then it's probably as you say.
I would like to agree, but the former metalcrafter had 60 exp in weaponsmithing, and 0 exp in his other skills before the mood hit. :/

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2009, 07:39:55 am »

Ive had clothiers and leather workers get a mood and be come legendary in those fields respectivly. From my experience the only dwarves that become a legendary stone/bone/wood crafter that didnt have that skill activated are peasants,fishers,farmers,brewers/cooks and the like, almost all my miners tend to double as masons/mechanics/metalsmiths and tend to get a mood for one of those shops as a result.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.
Pages: [1] 2 3