Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 360 361 [362] 363 364 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2421580 times)

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft: Like Infiniminer but in Java and in Alpha
« Reply #5415 on: October 16, 2010, 12:25:29 am »

goddamn it guys
Thank you based dwarf.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5416 on: October 16, 2010, 12:36:49 am »

Any ideas on making TNT drills? You know, stacking TNT blocks in a way that it makes a pit straight to hell adminite?

All I can think of as an idea is sticking gravel/sand between TNT boxes with a 4 (or 6)-block separation or something as a buffer between. My only worry is that after the buffer is removed, the impact of the second will set off the others in the stack. Oh, and if you're wondering how to get down from the 'drill' and land safely, I suggest you bring a bucket of water, plant it on the edge of the drill, let it flow to the ground, then pick up the water black, wait for it to 'evaporate' for a moment, drop down, let it absorb some fall speed, and land comfortably. and no mess leftover. I tested that method of base jumping, and it works wonders. No HP loss.

Anyway, here's what I mean about the TNT-drill setup. (T = TNT, B = Buffer block (sand/gravel), G = Ground)
Just rotate the idea by 90 degrees. If it works, this is a really cheap way to mine if you're low on TNT reserves.

TBBBBTBBBBTBBBBTBBBBTBBBBTBBBBTBBBBTGGGGGG
Negative... 4 blocks isn't close enough, when the TNT is ignited, the sand collapses on it, but the blast doesn't reach the second TNT to ignite it.

I tried 2 blocks and it ignited the second block, but it falls before it can ignite the third.

You can set up "mini" drills this way with 2 dynamite, but it's dangerous and the reward is poops.

What you get is:
Code: [Select]
GGGGGGTSSTSSTSSTSSTSSTSST
ignite (X)
GGGGGGXSSTSSTSSTSSTSSTSST
blast/ignite/fall
GGGGXSS     TSSTSSTSSTSST
blast
GG          TSSTSSTSSTSST

I think you'd have to red wire up each level of dynamite at 4 blocks apart... it would take too long to setup.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 12:38:23 am by Andir »
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #5417 on: October 16, 2010, 02:16:19 pm »

I guess an alternative would be to drill a 1-tile wide pit to the bottom with notches every few points, and build the drill from the inside making use of a chian-reaction.

R= rock or natural ground, S= spacer (gravel/sand), T= TNT

These setups can be detonated from above and chain to the bottom-most. Only work needed is minimal drilling downward to the bottom, and taking a break every few tiles to place TNT. Blueprints are as follows (90 degrees):

RRRTRRRRRTRRRRRTRRRRRTRRRRRTRRRRRTRRR
TSSSSSTSSSSSTSSSSSTSSSSSTSSSSSTSSSSST

Alternatively (for more fun, and guaranteed chain)

RRTRRRRRTRRRRRTRRRRRTRRRRRTRRRRRTRRRR
RRRRTRRRRRTRRRRRTRRRRRTRRRRRTRRRRRTRR

EDIT:
Whelp, I finally caved in and got me a few editors and whatnot. I think it should make some of my experimenting (and designing) easier. However, I'm keeping World2 (where I keep on talking about in my posts) a full-legit game (with the bed-teleporter save-translocators to jump long distances sans inventory). But I made a copy of it as World 4, and am using it for experiments and designing stuff before actually working on them.

EDIT EDIT:
After "adjusting" my inventory a tad, I made the 1x1 pit with 1 TNT every 3 tiles above the previous one in the alternating pattern I sketched out, and it works like a charm, provided one of the TNTs don't fly out of the hole (in which case, one flew right at me, and killed me, and interrupted the process. I recollected everything at the bottom of the pit (and detonated the bottom-most one that was left), which explains why I had to climb out with what ladders and jumping skills I had.).

When I initially tested it out, I messed up and filled the buffers with cobblestone instead of sand or gravel, and it didn't work, but I redid it with a different site, and used gravel instead, worked like a charm, and now there's a rather decent void in the area that delves deep, and all I had to use was a plausible amount on TNT close to the amount I already have in store to make the shaft.

Of course, to make testing swift, I had to use diamond tools for experimental purposes, and worked on it with raw terrain. It's beautiful. I'll screenshoot the results.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 03:57:57 pm by Itnetlolor »

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5418 on: October 16, 2010, 03:55:06 pm »

For a second there, I thought a creeper was right behind me. :P
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #5419 on: October 16, 2010, 04:17:36 pm »

For a second there, I thought a creeper was right behind me. :P
Speaking of which, I did something brilliant. In my clone world, I decided to place a creeper spawner somewhere (or in many places) on the map, and now I'm not safe anymore. Not to forget, doing some TNT experiments earlier have also left tons of craters all over the place.

EDIT:
Okay, maybe I went a little wild on the Inv-Edit, and used a bit too much TNT. Especially to take down the creeper-maker (I surrounded it with at least 16 TNT, with a pillar of 8+ TNT as a fuse).

I'll see if I can gen up an Iso-map of the land. It's ruined like no-one's business.

Oh, and who would ever think taking down trees with TNT would be so much fun. Elves would be pissed if they see that happen.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 04:55:57 pm by Itnetlolor »

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5420 on: October 16, 2010, 04:47:30 pm »

I wonder...

Do you think 'Creeper' would work?

EDIT: This was meant for the Super Scribblenauts thread.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5421 on: October 17, 2010, 12:30:09 pm »

:( Do you have to pay now? I thought this was a free alpha...
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Yaddy1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5422 on: October 17, 2010, 12:34:43 pm »

:( Do you have to pay now? I thought this was a free alpha...

Creative mode is free. The far superior Alpha is 9.99 euros.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5423 on: October 17, 2010, 12:38:23 pm »

Well, damn. :(
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5424 on: October 17, 2010, 01:29:41 pm »

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5425 on: October 17, 2010, 03:18:23 pm »

And that's half the regular price, if you get it while in Alpha :)

Hurry up before the final version comes out, in an unspecified number of years... yeah.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5426 on: October 17, 2010, 03:20:36 pm »

Hurry up before the final version comes out, in an unspecified number of years... yeah.

Probably around the same time DF 1.0 releases.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #5427 on: October 17, 2010, 04:28:35 pm »

The price is increasing to 15 euros when it hits beta, which is supposed to be in approximately..  two months ago.

Yeah.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5428 on: October 17, 2010, 05:12:14 pm »

But it's going to happen sometime! Really! Honest!

...so yeah. Really, it's just a case of Notch not changing the 'beta' criteria again. He'll probably give plenty of warning, though - the change from 'alpha' to 'beta' is basically a price increase and nothing more, and he'd be facing serious backlash if he doubled the price without giving a warning beforehand. (Well, a justified backlash - Notch gets serious backlash for practically everything these days!)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5429 on: October 17, 2010, 05:19:36 pm »

He gave plenty of warning last few times he was supposed to do it. I think when he fixes survival multiplayer so we have all the features of singleplayer he'll raise the price.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO
Pages: 1 ... 360 361 [362] 363 364 ... 1380