Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 536 537 [538] 539 540 ... 1380

Author Topic: Minecraft - It has blocks.  (Read 2419701 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft - It has blocks.
« Reply #8055 on: March 17, 2011, 06:10:57 pm »

They already requested that everyone change their passwords actually.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #8056 on: March 18, 2011, 04:57:29 am »

So I made this huge dome...
(Sorry about the XL images. :P )
It took me an entire diamond pick and shovel just to get rid of the hills that were blocking my way.
Also, tons of lava buckets to get all 2,600+ cobblestone into stone so it'd look nice with the texture pack.
Now I don't know what to put into it...
Currently, I'm working on cooking more cobblestone so I can make the floor match.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8057 on: March 18, 2011, 05:12:03 am »

Giant creeper statue, staring at a giant sculpture of Notch's face.

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #8058 on: March 18, 2011, 10:05:50 am »

Altar to Creepthulu, god of creepers.
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8059 on: March 18, 2011, 10:19:02 am »

Then another one for Zomb-niggurath :3

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8060 on: March 18, 2011, 10:20:28 am »

Skelothotep?
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8061 on: March 18, 2011, 10:34:30 am »

Ghasthathoth:D

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8062 on: March 18, 2011, 10:35:33 am »

And Dagsquid.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8063 on: March 18, 2011, 10:58:33 am »

Dog sothoth! xD

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8064 on: March 18, 2011, 11:05:29 am »

We don't even need a separate monster to be a Shoggoth, we've got the slime!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8065 on: March 18, 2011, 11:38:17 am »

Ok probably a silly question, and as a computer tech I should know this, but for some reason I can't wrap my head around it.  Probably because vista's appdata folder always confused the hell outta me and inexperience with java.

Is it possible to have 2 copies of minecraft on your computer, and be able to run them without having to do any file system shenanigans when I choose to run one or the other?  Say for example if I wanted a vanilla copy of minecraft, and a copy of Minecraft with mo creatures installed?

P.S. That's not just an example, it is exactly what I want to do.  I figure I could eventually figure it out, but it sounds like a common thing, and asking could save me a whole lot of hassle of doing it wrong and having to redownload/unpack archives.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 11:41:18 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #8066 on: March 18, 2011, 11:46:56 am »

Sorry, I don't think so.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #8067 on: March 18, 2011, 11:47:48 am »

Ok probably a silly question, and as a computer tech I should know this, but for some reason I can't wrap my head around it.  Probably because vista's appdata folder always confused the hell outta me and inexperience with java.

Is it possible to have 2 copies of minecraft on your computer, and be able to run them without having to do any file system shenanigans when I choose to run one or the other?  Say for example if I wanted a vanilla copy of minecraft, and a copy of Minecraft with mo creatures installed?

P.S. That's not just an example, it is exactly what I want to do.  I figure I could eventually figure it out, but it sounds like a common thing, and asking could save me a whole lot of hassle of doing it wrong and having to redownload/unpack archives.
Run the normal client for one and Minecraft Portable (which stores data in a /mcp_data subfolder where the EXE is) for the other.
WEEK-AFTER-EDIT: In case I didn't make it clear, MCP is completely self-contained.  You can have multiple copies, if you want.  There's no difference between it and the regular client, other than the storage location.

Alternatively, you can use batch files.
Code: [Select]
setlocal
set APPDATA = wherever/the/data/you/want/this/instance/to/use/is (don't include .minecraft)
path/to/Minecraft.exe
Because of the way batch works inside of the Windows environment, that doesn't do anything permanent to your APPDATA sysvar.  In fact, I'm reasonably certain that MCP does just that.

EDIT: Even though I'm pretty sure it does this already, I added setlocal to the batch, so it definitely doesn't modify sysvars.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 01:50:52 pm by Jay »
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8068 on: March 18, 2011, 12:02:57 pm »

MCP actually sounds like it will work for me.   As a bonus I oughta be able to put it on a USB and play it at my desk when the professor starts going into one of his old ship's communications officer anecdotes.

Thanks Jay.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8069 on: March 18, 2011, 12:37:38 pm »

I dont see any problem with what your doing. Its annoying, but all you have to do is simply have two complete minecraft files in different areas, then use the new "Set game's location on hard drive" feature on the new launcher to the one you want. You'd have to do it every time you switched, but its a lot easier then the other suggestions.
Pages: 1 ... 536 537 [538] 539 540 ... 1380