Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Magma/lava flow  (Read 4987 times)

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
Magma/lava flow
« on: May 27, 2009, 05:43:05 pm »

Can I pump directly out of a magma flow (the tile under the bottom of magma pipes)?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Magma/lava flow
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 05:51:23 pm »

You should be able to, if you can somehow avoid the rest of the magma above it.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 06:53:42 pm »

Can I pump directly out of a magma flow (the tile under the bottom of magma pipes)?

"Under" the bottom of the pipes? Not sure what you mean - read the wiki on "magma" and "pumps" - you'll find the info you need there.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 06:59:46 pm »

Check your magma pipe, Albedo.  Look on the bottom z-level with "k".  It reads Magma Flow.  Noboby has attempted it before.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 09:59:21 pm »

Are you looking for infinite magma?

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 10:28:14 pm »

Noboby has attempted it before.

<cue ominous music>

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 10:58:00 pm »

The only way you could feasibly do it is if you were to start the pump one full space away from the magmaflow. This way,  you don't start the flow too early, before you built your pump.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 11:06:55 pm »

I wonder what happens if you channel down onto a magma flow tile...

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 12:16:51 am »

You can't channel the bottom of the map IIRC, same for the magma flow tiles I would say. But you're welcome to try and post it  8)
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 01:23:38 am »

Hell, now I want to cap a volcano... they might not refill instantly on the bottom so it might be possible.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 02:23:41 am »

You CAN NOT channel or build down stairs or anything the goes down.

Yes, I've messed with that plenty of times. You can't make the bottomless pit bigger.

As for the pumping from a lava flow tile. Theoretically it should be possible seeing as only more magma would be below said tile, however it might treat it as a solid tile and there for no magma underneath said tile.

I say try it... If you find a method to do so, removing all that magma would be a mega project in of it's own.

HOWEVER if you some how get water onto the magma flow tile, it seals it seeing as you can not channel a bottom z-level tile. At least that's what happened when I did so.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 12:04:43 pm »

removing all that magma would be a mega project in of it's own
Storing that magma would be hard... potentially involving a hole several times bigger then the original magma pipe and a lot of pumps to move it out of there again. I'm going to destroy it. Perfectly doable with a pump and a single door hooked up to a lever, set on repeat.

I've repurposed my obsidian factory as a magma destruction device. The drawback is that I used only one pump to get magma from the pipe and it's pumping 'air' most of the time. And I'm out of iron for building more.

So far, I'm three levels down out of twelve.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2009, 12:21:54 pm »

Well if it helps any, I believe that magma pipes refill from the top(That is, the top level that currently holds magma.), and they refill starting from the left side of the pipe, I found that out by making a tunnel straight through a magma pipe, when it refilled only one side had magma, the other side had nothing. haha

Zancor Mezoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2009, 01:12:45 pm »

I don't think that anyone has mentioned this, but if you use 'k' to look at a square of Magma Flow, below the "Magma Flow" text it will say "Magma (7/7)".  I think that is a pretty good indicator that pumping magma from that level (your pump would be on the z-level above that) should work fine.

However, it might be a situation where the Magma Flow tiles are like Chasm or BP tiles, but they spew out magma faster than it drains.  If that is the case, the pump may encounter problems pumping from that level (e.g. the magma drains and gets pumped out at the same time, and then the pump makes its check to see if there is magma, and sees that the magma is gone before it sees that the magma is back again).  Although I don't think that is likely.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 03:51:56 pm by Zancor Mezoran »
Anyway, I figure that the dwarves are only marginally less wasteful of metal than they are of wood. The moody dwarf's selecting only the best 5% of each bar of metal, and eats the rest to sustain him as he works on the artifact.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2009, 02:36:01 pm »

Using K on the Magma Flow tile says that tile is filled 7/7 magma, not the tile below if I recall correctly.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!
Pages: [1] 2 3