Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Entertainers  (Read 1190 times)

ChaosMage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Entertainers
« on: August 24, 2006, 02:25:00 pm »

Having lost my fort in a huge riot of unhappy dwarves I have been thinking of ways to make them happier. Also making dwarves who are resting stop going insane. So far I have two different units for entertainers and both could be used.

1. Musicians: They play music in the meeting halls and provide a happy thought over an area to anyone who listens to it. Better instruments and skill make more happiness. However, if they play badly they can make an unhappy thought over the area because bad music just makes people mad.

2. Jesters: They provide single targets with multiple happy thoughts using a variety of jokes and gags. They can be assigned to people or they can just wander around entertaining random people. Perhaps some nobles can demand them as part of their retinue or in one of their rooms. If they're assigned to an injured person they make them happy all the time which keeps them from going nuts.

3. Actors: They could give plays which give a large happiness boost with a long duration but take a lot of preperation and setup time.

Another idea is that using the same joke or song over and over reduces the amount of happiness it produces. Making more songs or jokes/gags/props etc could be part of an entertainment workshop. Perhaps the construction of musical instruments could be moved here as well.

These unit types would make it easier to keep large populations happy and keep them from going crazy and murdering everything. Probably it would work to have a new Entertainer profession with skills Music, Acting, Jocularity, Playwriting, Songwriting and some kind of joke making skill. Also maybe include some specific skills for making musical instruments and setting up stages/costumes for plays.

Rozenbuddy

• Bay Watcher
  • High on Caffine
    • View Profile
Re: Entertainers
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 06:52:42 pm »

this is a good idea, a happy dwarf is a non-maniac dwarf! and this helps from when you get "**** child has thrown a tantrum" crap loads of times when tons of dwarfs die from an invasion, it could also be nice when the economy comes in dwarfs can hire jesters and or pay to attend plays (conducted by actors) or even attend a musical concert(played by musicians. it would also give instruments a purpose other than trading. ;D

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 07:16:41 pm »

It also gives a use for social skills.

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 07:20:10 pm »

I've been thinking about this...  If things get more 'interesting' and 'fun', we're going to need more happy thoughts.  Entertainers are a good one.  Presents too?

Dee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 10:01:03 pm »

I like this idea, also this would be good in adventure mode going to tavens you could see entertainers playing.

Zeroarmorclone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 11:21:38 pm »

And strippers?  ;D

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 04:58:52 am »

And strippers?  ;D

We already have that. Just make a meeting hall in your barracks and make your wrestlers off-duty.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 05:58:52 pm »

Oh yeah, nothing like public nude mud wresting to get over the death of your wife.

I like this suggestion though, it could be merged with the idea of writing books into a suggestion for dwarves (and other civilisations) to have culture.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2009, 10:20:32 pm »

Oh yeah, nothing like public nude mud wresting to get over the death of your wife.

I like this suggestion though, it could be merged with the idea of writing books into a suggestion for dwarves (and other civilisations) to have culture.

As it is, the entirety of dwarven written history is, apparently, engraved in stone. Except for the records. Those are woven into the bookkeeper's beard.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2009, 11:02:34 pm »

Quote from: Vester
As it is, the entirety of dwarven written history is, apparently, engraved in stone.
No, there's also part of it in item decoration, sewing and coin images.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 11:04:06 pm by Murphy »

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2009, 03:30:25 am »

And beards.

Athisus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2009, 04:21:33 pm »

As a supplement to this idea, one could also implement heckling. This would make dwarves with low social skills who are genuinely not entertaining still have a use. A dwarf and everyone within earshot could get a mildly happy thought from making fun of the entertainer, but the entertainer would get a devastatingly bad thought from being made fun of, possibly moving to kill the instigator in extremely successful heckling.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2009, 12:00:03 am »

Killing seems over the top but it might encourage fistfights and grudges

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2009, 12:14:32 am »

As much as I dislike the economy I'd like to see a jester receive a coin or two from the dwarves he entertains. A potentially quite odd type of adventurer to play as could be a travelling entertainer.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2009, 12:22:40 am »

From the Dev log, musicians are planned and may even be in this release  ;D

Quote from: Toady One
07/19/2009: The training update is underway. Things should be quite a bit more organized now, as outlined in the list, with a few different activities for you to watch as the critters are training in the barracks. The framework for meetings and parties is going to be merged with the new training framework. This should allow dwarves at parties, for instance, to do single and group activities like playing instruments or dancing a bit more easily than it otherwise would have been. I'm not sure if I'll throw in any of that this time around, but it's possible, since there should be some very low-hanging fruit there.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.
Pages: [1] 2