Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: World-wide events  (Read 1354 times)

wilsonns

• Bay Watcher
  • Golden hair?Green eyes?Spiky beard?Super Dorf Jin!
    • View Profile
World-wide events
« on: August 24, 2009, 06:59:36 pm »

Hello, my iea for now is about events that take place in the entire world, at the same time, like natural disasters or plagues, or meteors falling, extincting some species.
the coolest idea, is the Ice Age, that freeze the entire world.
I think that's a nice idea
i want YOUR thinkings about that suggestion

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World-wide events
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 07:04:38 pm »

ALL FEAR THE DRAGON-LOCUSTS OF DEATH AND MAGMA!!!!1!!

But seriously, could be a workable idea. What would trigger this? Is it randomly generated? How to we keep it from being realy annoying?
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 07:21:11 pm »

the coolest idea, is the Ice Age, that freeze the entire world.
I see what you did there.

wilsonns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 07:30:30 pm »

The basic idea is about randomly generated events.
the Ice age idea should start and end various times, every period of years setted in the world generation parameters, a new Ice age begins and every place should be covered by the snow and then you can't plant anymore (inside and outside plants), you have less wildlife, less trees, but some new advantages, like using ice to stonecrafting and masonry.
when a meteor fall in your terrain, you can mine it and get rare metals and gems, and the plague should be fun with the new wound system.

the ice age is really cool   XD

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 07:51:11 pm »

Actually, the real ice age didn't freeze the entire world; just the temperate regions. The tropical regions, in turn, became more temperate.

I think all the Ice age should do is simply drop the temperature of all regions by a level or 2.

Ending the Ice Age would warm up all the regions to their normal temp, causing all the glaciers to melt, making an abundance of major rivers.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 08:13:59 pm »

These would be awesome. I'm pretty sure Toady (armok be with him) has this set out for the Caravan Arc. Flooding, meteors, wars, full-scale volcanic eruptions...

FunTM
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

wilsonns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 08:19:06 pm »

we will have lots and lots of fun!
(meteors showers on your dwarves garden, dwarfs running around hopeless, just waiting for their death!)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 08:33:59 pm »

P.S. You forgot the indoors. Meteor showers would only affect dwarves stupid enough to be in front of the blast doors when the epic cloud of ash hits you. Think of meteors as being world-tile sized cave-ins. The ash from that would basically kill all the elves instantly, because they have no shelters, and they always have loads of things to crunch into as they are flung away.

Meteors kill elves...

Meteor for prime minister!
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 01:25:27 pm »

Another often overlooked effect of an ice age is that it lower sea levels, a lot of water is stored in the form of snow and glaciers, which don't melt because of the lower temperatures, but there is still plenty of evaporation at sea. This would open up more sites for settlement, and would allow civilization to expand beyond normal water-bariers, and be split up once they return.
Climate change in general would be interesting.
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 01:46:58 pm »

Let's go settle in the verdant floodplain! Yay!

Urist McCiv has been struck down!