Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4077 4078 [4079] 4080 4081 ... 8159

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8912606 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #61170 on: May 01, 2013, 01:02:47 pm »

Hmmmm... Poker night at the inventory 2... I can't get it to work. Keeps crashing on the first loading screen.

What the hell is up Telltale?

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #61171 on: May 01, 2013, 01:31:12 pm »

An appointed client punched me in the god damn face a couple times while I was sitting next to him at the defense table....

Really, it was sort of a two handed thing, because he was hand cuffed at the time. Incidentally, he was also leg shackled. Bailiffs eventually restrained him and I just was in shock the whole time, because I was getting the guy probation with no jail time.... He connected once or twice before his chair tipped over backwards while I was blocking him....

After a minute of stunned (mostly) silence, I just asked for a brief recess or in the alternative to be excused for a short time. So I saw my face in the bathroom mirror and it was mostly just bruised with a small cut from the handcuffs, but it did bleed a little bit. I don't think it will leave a scar or anything but still.... It's a lil swollen, and I wish it didn't hurt, but while I've had worse that never really helps things [sigh].

So clearly, I'm withdrawing from this case, which sadly means I get less money.... Also, during that brief moment I wanted to rip him apart but I did not. Did I mention this is a felony. They do not pay me for this shit. It's odd, every once in a while the paper will come across a slow news day and say that some of the appointed lawyers are abusing the system.... We haven't gotten a raise in rates in 20 years and we deal with the worst society has to offer. You can imagine my opinion of stories like that.

Have not heard back from the several jobs I'm applying for.... If I could be honest as to why I was looking for work outside law/why don't I wanna be a lawyer.... :)
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61172 on: May 01, 2013, 01:35:16 pm »

An appointed client punched me in the god damn face a couple times while I was sitting next to him at the defense table....

Really, it was sort of a two handed thing, because he was hand cuffed at the time. Incidentally, he was also leg shackled. Bailiffs eventually restrained him and I just was in shock the whole time, because I was getting the guy probation with no jail time.... He connected once or twice before his chair tipped over backwards while I was blocking him....

After a minute of stunned (mostly) silence, I just asked for a brief recess or in the alternative to be excused for a short time. So I saw my face in the bathroom mirror and it was mostly just bruised with a small cut from the handcuffs, but it did bleed a little bit. I don't think it will leave a scar or anything but still.... It's a lil swollen, and I wish it didn't hurt, but while I've had worse that never really helps things [sigh].

So clearly, I'm withdrawing from this case, which sadly means I get less money.... Also, during that brief moment I wanted to rip him apart but I did not. Did I mention this is a felony. They do not pay me for this shit. It's odd, every once in a while the paper will come across a slow news day and say that some of the appointed lawyers are abusing the system.... We haven't gotten a raise in rates in 20 years and we deal with the worst society has to offer. You can imagine my opinion of stories like that.

Have not heard back from the several jobs I'm applying for.... If I could be honest as to why I was looking for work outside law/why don't I wanna be a lawyer.... :)
What. The. Fuck. Is. Wrong. With. People. I hope he enjoys 1-5 in prison (and takes an ass whipping or twelve.)

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61173 on: May 01, 2013, 01:38:23 pm »

Wait...you got the dude probation, with no jail time...and that deserves a punch? What the hell did this guy do, anyway? I'd be ecstatic for not going to jail!
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #61174 on: May 01, 2013, 01:40:04 pm »

... you'd think you'd get hazard pay or something when stuff like that happens, if it's a state appointed case or whatev' :-\

Instead you get attacked and paid less because of it. That's... kinda' some fucked up priorities.

Add my incredulity to the pile, though. Th'hell was going through that guy's mind? Anything?

Here's hoping your job search hits paydirt soon, Tru. You don't deserve stuff like that.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #61175 on: May 01, 2013, 02:14:42 pm »

Any chance of suing the appointing agency, courts, or someone to make enough to retire on?

(One can dream...)

I'll assume the defendant doesn't have anything to sue for.

That's why people become lawyers, right? to sue to get rich?  :P

(I couldn't even talk my lawyer into suing for me when I got food poisoning from a later recalled product...)
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61176 on: May 01, 2013, 02:22:23 pm »

Wait...you got the dude probation, with no jail time...and that deserves a punch? What the hell did this guy do, anyway? I'd be ecstatic for not going to jail!

I'd be happy (understatement) if I got probation with no jail time. But nooo, some people aren't ever content with the cards they've been dealt, even if said hand was all aces of all symbols.

Damn it, I really want to punch that guy's face.

...and people say that lawyers are evil. /:
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #61177 on: May 01, 2013, 02:48:14 pm »

Some lawyers are evil. So are some janitors. And businessmen. And any other profession you can think of.

Admittedly, some professions have a higher concentration of evil people than others. Like businessmen.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #61178 on: May 01, 2013, 02:57:34 pm »

Some lawyers are evil. So are some janitors. And businessmen. And any other profession you can think of.

Admittedly, some professions have a higher concentration of evil people than others. Like businessmen.

Any career which allows the most unsympathetic narcissists a great advantage will likely end up with a higher ratio of unsympathetic narcissists to relatively-average people. Politicians, businessmen, lawyers and the like. But yes, some percentage of the human population, regardless of career, education, or intellect, will likely be blighted assholes that the rest of us would refer to as "evil."
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61179 on: May 01, 2013, 03:24:07 pm »

One of my good friends either:

a) Attempted suicide over a breakup
or
b) Pretended to attempt suicide in order to spite an ex over a breakup

I'm guessing at the second one since it was not anywhere near a successful attempt. I don't think that anyone wants to commit suicide, a number of hours after downing a bunch of pills, decides to call an ambulance and has no negative symptoms.
And I'm not sure I want to be friends with someone who does that. I don't really want to be friends with anyone who would do either of those things.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #61180 on: May 01, 2013, 03:56:15 pm »

Well if it's A then they have some serious problems that you, as a friend, can help with. B also can have some serious problems, but it's possible they're just an asshole.

You probably didn't mean it this way, but saying you don't want to be friends with someone who's depressed and attempted suicide is incredibly heartless.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #61181 on: May 01, 2013, 04:17:35 pm »

Over a breakup? Yeah, they've got some serious problems. But it has to do with why they would suicide over something that petty. I'd say a justifiable reason to an hero because of a breakup is about as common as a white whale.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #61182 on: May 01, 2013, 04:34:37 pm »

Over a breakup? Yeah, they've got some serious problems.
Over anything means you have some serious problems. Namely, you attempted suicide.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61183 on: May 01, 2013, 04:47:51 pm »

Just because they called an ambulance afterwards doesn't mean they were faking it, just that they weren't 100% committed. People are complicated, and the desire to survive is pretty strong even among people who think they would be better off dead.

If I were in the same situation, right about now... I'd be beating myself up over the fact that my suicide was ANOTHER thing I'd managed to fuck up, thanks to my inability to commit or carry through and my pathetic second guessing.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #61184 on: May 01, 2013, 05:16:29 pm »

Over a breakup? Yeah, they've got some serious problems. But it has to do with why they would suicide over something that petty. I'd say a justifiable reason to an hero because of a breakup is about as common as a white whale.
You seem to be ignoring the fact that if they're attempting suicide, there are obviously more things wrong with their life than just a relationship.

"Straw that broke the camel's back," and all that.

EDIT: I should also note that relationships are for most people Big Things. Relationships aren't just chores you do to get sex and/or pleasant company (unless you're stupid and don't realize you can get both those things much easier in other ways).
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 05:22:26 pm by kaijyuu »
Pages: 1 ... 4077 4078 [4079] 4080 4081 ... 8159