Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1702547 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - The isometric visualizer, official thread
« Reply #1470 on: November 27, 2009, 03:17:53 am »

Can DFHack check dwarf`s inventory? The visualizer could render dwarves according to what they wear.

I don't think that is possible at the moment

Even if it was possible, I don't think Stonesense is ready to go there yet, though I hope it becomes more feasible in the future.  It's kind of a can of worms, since you have a draw a sprite for each clothing item for each race (maybe even for each caste), and then you'd probably want to get the skin color (in the next version) and draw each body part as a separate sprite, and so on, with no clear end in sight.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: November 27, 2009, 04:17:57 am »

it doesn't necessarily need to show what they're wearing, just weather or not they actually are wearing anything :P

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: November 27, 2009, 04:27:11 am »

Since the sprites are static, all you really need is make a texture you can slap onto a designated area on a sprite, and different sizes of extraneous bits like shoulderpads for armor. Then you make a colormap for each sprite or sprite group, defining the texture overlay area and denoting the positions of extraneous bits with precisely-colored pixels.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: November 27, 2009, 05:11:42 am »

Yeah, I worked out a scheme along those lines last year.  If I understand what you mean about the colormap (the red area of the sprite gets filled in with the shirt color, the blue area gets the pants color), that was the first approach I considered, but it gets unpleasant if you have, say, a cloak that is drawn both in front of and behind the upper body -- you have to have special colors that operate in a conditional fashion, etc.  Additionally you don't get the flexibility of colorizing a grayscale sprite, so just treating each clothing item as a separate sprite (and major body part, if you want to show amputations) is much easier.

But honestly, once you get to this point, hand-drawn sprites start to get very impractical, especially if you want to do anything like animations.  If anyone ever attempts this for DF, they'll probably do it the way the Infinity Engine did -- sprites made from renders of high-res 3D models.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 05:24:54 am by Footkerchief »

Afthartos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: November 27, 2009, 05:23:21 am »

(and major body part, if you want to show amputations)

Oh yeah. that's what was missing from SS. was wondering why there weren't separate limbs on the ground when gobbo dropped 15 floors down
YOU SIR, HAVE COMMITED DORF SCIENCE!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: November 27, 2009, 05:44:29 am »

No, I meant an ADDITIONAL sprite to every group of sprites sharing the same pose/size. If you want your billowing cape, then you add two "extra bits", aligned to the "cape" pixel on the colormap. The engine sees the pixel, sees the fact the creature is wearing a cape, and draws two extra "cape" bits as determined by a description file - one behind the creature, one in front of it, both aligned to the pixel and likely textured/colored according to whatever material the cape is made from. With a complicated-sounding, but actually rather straightforward system like this, you only need to draw special clothing sprites for each creature that has a nonstandard size or pose. That billowing cape would be largely the same for most humanoids of similar size. Armor doesn't have to be all sprites - you can have the same outline for a jacket and a chainmail, but you will use different texture for them. If you want custom-looking armor, make a sprite for it, but only then. Plate armor can just have a shiny look with shoulderpads added.

Then again, you can always go with Total Annihilation's approach. Take a single sprite-resolution camera and a lot of simple 3D models. When you need to change a critter's looks, assemble it before the camera (off-screen, of course), take a snapshot, and use it as the sprite. That way you can always have a set of sprites for each critter at hand, without the need to continuously render stuff.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: November 27, 2009, 08:56:48 am »

This looks excellent. I like the clean, crisp style going. I'll download it when I get home.
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: November 27, 2009, 09:36:20 am »

My vote's for purple/red royal guards.  Purple is, after all, the color of royalty, as well as what color the royal guards are represented with in-game.  But solid purple might not do so well.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

tefalo

• Bay Watcher
  • Priest of Syrinx
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: November 27, 2009, 11:50:14 am »

I like the red, desert and purple colored guards, all without the crown. The desert coloring might just be too plain for royal guards... so maybe just red and purple then. :P

I think the purple guard is a little too dark, maybe saturate (if i got the color terms right) the purples just a little bit? Just my opinion, though.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #1479 on: November 27, 2009, 11:52:14 am »

wow... this is great... Solifuge's pixel art rocks...
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: November 27, 2009, 02:15:19 pm »

No, I meant an ADDITIONAL sprite to every group of sprites sharing the same pose/size. If you want your billowing cape, then you add two "extra bits", aligned to the "cape" pixel on the colormap. The engine sees the pixel, sees the fact the creature is wearing a cape, and draws two extra "cape" bits as determined by a description file - one behind the creature, one in front of it, both aligned to the pixel and likely textured/colored according to whatever material the cape is made from. With a complicated-sounding, but actually rather straightforward system like this, you only need to draw special clothing sprites for each creature that has a nonstandard size or pose. That billowing cape would be largely the same for most humanoids of similar size. Armor doesn't have to be all sprites - you can have the same outline for a jacket and a chainmail, but you will use different texture for them. If you want custom-looking armor, make a sprite for it, but only then. Plate armor can just have a shiny look with shoulderpads added.

Yeah, that's the better technique, although since each sprite will always sit in the same location in the tile, you don't need an alignment pixel or whatever.  I'm still not sure what your "colormap" is exactly.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: November 27, 2009, 02:46:17 pm »

Give the Royal Guard black suits, ties, pants, and shoes, and a white shirt underneath. And sunglasses.

But seriously, I'm against the crown shape too. Giving them more of a face but still having insane armour would be a neat one. Really, I think just the more elaborate armour design and patterns, the better. These guys don't do jack for effective military structure anyhow.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: November 27, 2009, 02:48:12 pm »

The "colormap" is just a sprite silhouette with color-coded areas for texture, and alignment pixels. Alignment pixels are important - elves and humans may wear similar clothing, but its location on the sprite is different for them.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: November 27, 2009, 03:12:47 pm »

The "colormap" is just a sprite silhouette with color-coded areas for texture, and alignment pixels. Alignment pixels are important - elves and humans may wear similar clothing, but its location on the sprite is different for them.

What are the color-coded texture areas for?  Do you mean having an actual 4x4 texture or whatever tessellated across that area?  Because that would look really horrible, like a badly dithered color or something.  You already have sprites for each item, so just use the grayscale to convey contours etc. -- this approach is already being used successfully in Stonesense.

As for the alignment pixel, I see your point, but it seems much simpler to just specify an X,Y offset in the text file that would map clothing items to sprites.

However, even done properly, this approach is kind of a dead end -- it'll never be able to cope with differently sized individuals, facial features, and of course animations.  Although those are arguably unnecessary.

You mentioned the TA engine, but what you described pretty much sounded like normal 3D rendering, though obviously TA had some quirks with terrain, parallel projection etc.  Anyway, if used for DF, that would basically be a return to Armok 1's procedurally generated models, and I'm not sure those will ever look good at all.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 03:19:09 pm by Footkerchief »

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: November 27, 2009, 04:04:08 pm »

I love these royal guards. I'd say go with the purple as a base colour, with details or extras in either a deep red (burghundy / maroon) or navy blue. And I agree, the crowns are a bit ott, but if they could be made a little less crowny and a little more helmety they'd be fine.
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 379