Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1702763 times)

Xandrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - The isometric visualizer, official thread
« Reply #1035 on: November 16, 2009, 11:03:55 pm »

Hi All,

New member here.  Stonesense has inspired me to register as I believe that I can contribute a little to the project where I can.

First, "Grassier" Grass!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is the effect:

And this is the inspiration:

I liked the grass, and copied the colouration and then sized it to fit with Stonesense.  It's larger than the standard 32x16 (it's 32x18), but the extra spikey bits give the landscape some flavour and texture.  It provides a bit of a "darker" atmosphere as well, which is something that I know is a common complaint about Stonesense. 

Second, it is vital for this project to gather its resources in ONE location.  Right now we have Google Code and the Wiki, but neither is really tracking the progress.  My vote is to move all info related to the sprites to the wiki, and code related stuff (draw order, shadows, xml fiddly-bits) should remain on Google Code.

Let me know what you think, and feel free to fiddle with my sprites as I am going to be busy to high heaven with my Engineering degree until April  :-[.  Rest assured I'll find time to post now and again though  :D.

spenguin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: November 16, 2009, 11:14:47 pm »

How does one get to that IRC channel without downloading MIRC Free Trial or buying it?

You should get irssi. It's an excellent free and open-source IRC client.  I haven't found any that I like more.

jarathor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: November 16, 2009, 11:17:00 pm »

Aaaaaand Done.

I'm not sure how to make the key look clearer - is it clear enough? Also I'm not sure about the combination of the dark red with the purple cape.

I'm loving all of those crops, Suess. They're epic.

Since the traps aren't ever going to be swimming or falling (at least I hope not) I think they'd all look good with shadows on the ground - although I never really thought about what stonefall traps are before... That's actually quite a conundrum.

Nice, Xandrin - if you could pull off making all of the slopes with that texture, then it'd look awesome.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: November 16, 2009, 11:42:36 pm »

So I kept trying to make "Sunshine" (the alcohol made from Sunberries)

And I did terrible at it. To prove it

Mind you they arn't as complete as they could be. If one shape is particularly well done Ill think of doing proper shading.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 11:45:23 pm by Neonivek »

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: November 16, 2009, 11:53:06 pm »

Also, as for pre-designed tiles, floors, etc. for folks to reference and texture, behold!
A MASSIVE TUTORIAL APPROACHES!

Actually, it's pretty small, and its more of a template with instructions. Sorry if it doesn't make sense; I think in images, and occasionally try to communicate via them as well.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 11:56:07 pm by Solifuge »

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: November 17, 2009, 12:27:48 am »

That... confused me slightly. Solifuge, are we meant to be factoring in the width of a floor when we're making a tile, or do we ignore that?

That is, is the top row or the bottom row of these cage traps correct?

As you can see, it makes a difference, because I had to shrink the cage in the last sprite to fit.

7¢ Nickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: November 17, 2009, 12:56:47 am »

Just dropping in to post this and then I'm gonna get soem sleep.

Male and female versions of default, trader, liason, and diplomat.  Tell me what you think.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: November 17, 2009, 01:07:55 am »

Those are very manly women.

tehmarken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: November 17, 2009, 01:15:00 am »

I think the women should have some kind of thinner features to them. Perhaps thin the legs and/or shoulders. Or thin the waist and shoulders to make the breasts more pronunced.

Xandrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: November 17, 2009, 01:17:27 am »

Nice, Xandrin - if you could pull off making all of the slopes with that texture, then it'd look awesome.
I would continue with that project, but I believe the Stonesense team is more interested in gathering a complete spriteset and don't need individual projects sprouting up.  Also I'm bupkis with shading ;) .  If Solifuge or Jonask give it the go-ahead to be the grass for the release then I'll give it a try, but otherwise we should focus on getting a complete, consistent sprite set together.  Once that's done, perhaps I'll spend more time creating my own sprite set.

I will try to keep the Wiki (http://stonesense.wikia.com/wiki/Stonesense_Wiki) updated with the developments of the forum community, so that we have an organised sprite database to reference for which sprites are needed/released/in development.

Male and female versions of default, trader, liason, and diplomat.  Tell me what you think.
I have to agree with Neruz, your women are not distinct enough from the men.  I suggest thinner legs or a skirt instead of  the pants/leggings they have now (if you're going for historical greek, it's likely women wore a skirt or pleated dress).  The diplomat is the only female version that is sufficiently unique.  Hope that helps a bit.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: November 17, 2009, 01:21:18 am »

I bet you a dollar they wouldnt make you a sandwich if you asked them to.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: November 17, 2009, 01:57:26 am »

The diplomat is obviously female.  The others, I couldn't tell you which were which unless you put them side by side, and even then it's hard to tell.  Go with clothing differentials.  Skirts, dresses, heck, even colored scarves might help.  Something other than three pixel breasts.

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: November 17, 2009, 02:10:16 am »

Ehh, I'm fine with the "manly women". I mean - what's the gameplay difference? If there's practically no difference in game, it makes sense that there's practically no difference graphically.

To me, anyway.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: November 17, 2009, 02:10:55 am »

I bet you a dollar they wouldnt make you a sandwich if you asked them to.
I bet you a dollar they would if i asked them with a Tank.

tehmarken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: November 17, 2009, 02:30:52 am »

Kobold thief:
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 379