Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 68

Author Topic: Cult - New Development Video (5-10-12)  (Read 113226 times)

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
Re: Cult - Updated First Post (02/05/11)
« Reply #465 on: April 12, 2011, 01:08:34 am »

Time for a slight diversion from the norm!

This is the first of several vignettes I'll be writing as I develop the Cult meta-plot; of course, keeping in mind the fact that every world and every meta-plot will be procedurally generated to some extent, the names are just stand-ins.

These will go up on the Cult website fairly soon, once it's completely designed and the game and forums are ready for an initial launch.

Warning: Contains Spoilers. If you ever want to play the game WITHOUT knowing the meta-plot, you should avoid reading this.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

More code updates to come soon.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 12:13:55 pm by Lord Dullard »

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: April 12, 2011, 01:21:16 pm »

I'd love to hear sometime about how you generate all that content.  I've been wanting to write a 2d cave generator for a while now but I've got no clue where to start.  I've got no problem setting up all the support code and everything, but the actual generation bits seem pretty intimidating.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: April 12, 2011, 01:32:29 pm »

[...] keeping in mind the fact that every world and every meta-plot will be procedurally generated to some extent, the names are just stand-ins. [...] If you ever want to play the game WITHOUT knowing the meta-plot, you should avoid reading this. [...]

I didn't read the spoiler, but does this mean every game would have a similar 'meta-plot'? And if so, does the plot serve to explain the gameplay or provide a suitable background for your character, or is it more of a plot like a fantasy story, in which king X betrays king Y to band with evil sorcerer Z, and you have nothing to do with it but can get involved? I hope I'm explaining this clearly.

Anyway, I think in the latter case, you could 'easily' make the plot procedurally generated as well. It would make the replay value infinitely bigger, and the possibilities for intrigue and dirty politics endless.
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: April 12, 2011, 01:42:53 pm »

Screenshots to come in a few moments after I ascertain that all of the code I've just written is relatively glitch-free. Creature content is just about 100% done (FINALLY!), aside from a few small bits and pieces that need to be added here and there.

Colors as well as all body parts are now generated, although I have to get a few last color descriptors in place for odd parts like claws, teeth, and so forth.

@ EagleV: No, every game won't have a similar meta-plot. 'Winning' the game will be possible by completing a number of different meta-plots that will be available to the player in every game. However, there will be an overarching possibility for a sort of ultimate-win-scenario that a player can choose to try to fulfill, but doing so will not be necessary by any means. Then again, even this ultimate-win will have conditional scenarios that will be randomly generated each time, so pursuing it will NOT be repetitive. And there will be a few catch-22s involved in actually pursuing it that will make it less of a 'win' and more of a 'possible set of scenarios that may or may not play out as the character/player wants or expects them to'.

Most of the plots in the game will be procedurally-generated and character-driven according to the circumstances of the player character's personality, circumstances of birth and life prior to game start, etc. Major world conflicts will also be plot motivators or serve as plots in and of themselves. Though all of this is a long way down the road, of course. But suffice it to say I do not plan to lock players into a pursuing a single goal. That doesn't mean I can't include a few overarching, vague goals that are always available to pursue, though.  ;D It shouldn't really become repetitive if the manner of pursuing them and the entities involved in the goals themselves are different each time and have different individual means of acting as plot catalysts.

ETA:

I should mention that by reading the short story above you won't really be spoiled to any of the numerous plots that Cult will devise through procedural generation; rather, you'll be spoiled to a specific character goal that will be available in every game. It could be considered a significant spoiler by some, but the majority of players will probably want to read it anyway because it helps to explain the overarching theme of the game and the interaction between gods.

It will also help to explain how Zeus and Cthulhu could theoretically exist within the same game.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 02:38:34 pm by Lord Dullard »

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: April 12, 2011, 02:08:44 pm »

Bloody hell, that story was amazing Dullard. I kind of called Norshek on his bluff, though.  ;)

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: April 12, 2011, 02:29:14 pm »

Great story, and the answer I was hoping for  :) .
Thanks!
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: April 12, 2011, 03:01:31 pm »

Thank you all for your comments and input!

Okay, as promised, screenshots. To get something out of the way quickly and to make certain that I at least mention it, I want to note that swamps have been modified a bit. Swamps and plains are now also both named during the world naming process. I genned a quick example map, so here it is.

Now, on to mostly-complete creature description entries.

I'll make a mirror post on the devblog when I get home tonight with a few more screenshots and notes.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: April 12, 2011, 05:27:12 pm »

Ddduuuuddddeee, it all reads and looks so clean! The creature descriptions really come together. Detail overkill for me, but still awesome procedural work.

Are you planning to quantify creature stats separate from the description? (Like a stats page that returns numerics.) Just curious, there's a lot of detail --> function to digest.

What's next for Cult then? Combat? God generation? It should totally be God gen :P You've got the obvious framework to start now.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 05:34:23 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: April 12, 2011, 06:23:24 pm »

Oooh I'd love to suggestion bomb god generation!

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: April 12, 2011, 08:59:33 pm »

Ddduuuuddddeee, it all reads and looks so clean! The creature descriptions really come together. Detail overkill for me, but still awesome procedural work.

Are you planning to quantify creature stats separate from the description? (Like a stats page that returns numerics.) Just curious, there's a lot of detail --> function to digest.

What's next for Cult then? Combat? God generation? It should totally be God gen :P You've got the obvious framework to start now.

Yeah, it is a lot of detail. For in-game purposes I will probably include a more perfunctory version that the player can switch to that will offer a summary rather than an in-depth view.

As for stats, they are affected by most of these traits. Each trait has a percent-based modifier for one or several stats or derived stats. Once the whole creature is generated, all of these will be applied as a single %-modifier. The percentage of each trait's modifier is also changed if it receives an intensity modifier (i.e. extremely, somewhat, inexplicably, etc).
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 09:02:16 pm by Lord Dullard »

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: April 13, 2011, 03:07:06 am »

One little thing that still annoys me in the creature description: things like "Its jaw is wide and tiny" or "Enormous and narrow paws". Could you make words that cover the whole foot, instead of just one dimension, check if they really are applicable? An "Enormous and narrow paw" sounds weird (at least to me), a "Long but rather narrow paw" sounds much better. In other words, if you apply a modifier like 'enormous', do it by increasing all mentioned dimensions a bit, then checking if all mentioned adjectives are on the large side, and then you can add 'enormous' instead of, for instance, "long and wide". And if there is an adjective on the small side, add a 'but'. Eg. a creature with "long and wide" feet that should get the adjective 'enormous' becomes a creature with "very long and wide" or "enormous" feet, a creature with "long and thin" feet becomes a creature with "very long, but rather thin" feet.
*WHACK*

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: April 13, 2011, 07:03:33 pm »

It would be rather complicated to implement simply because of the number of different traits involved and the engine having to be able to discern which ones should be 'buts' and 'ands' comparatively, but I'll see what I can do. It'll give me a chance to clean up the trait dictionaries a bit, anyhow.

But 'dimensions' has nothing in particular to do with traits. The limbs are not (physically) generated, so the game engine would have no way of knowing something is long and/or wide aside from selecting those two traits. As far as the engine is concerned, having 'long and wide' feet does not make them enormous. Having 'enormous' feet makes them enormous, and having 'long and wide' feet makes them 'long and wide'. They're just words with modifier values attached.  ;)

In other words, if I were to ever create a graphical representation of creatures generated by this engine, their appearance would be a derivative of their description, not the other way around.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 07:39:01 pm by Lord Dullard »

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: April 15, 2011, 09:20:31 am »

Done.

Working on stats today. I'm hoping I can get those done and also start on creature spread code, which should largely be a copy-paste of civ spread code with a few added tweaks and considerations. After that it's on to the actual game engine. I'm excited.  :D

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: April 15, 2011, 09:37:20 am »

Man, I feel so good for you. You got an awesome thing going on. I can't keep anything going at all.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: April 15, 2011, 01:39:25 pm »

Awesome work on the creatures.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 68