Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Does anybody know any good free RTS games?  (Read 4606 times)

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
Does anybody know any good free RTS games?
« on: January 13, 2010, 01:50:40 pm »

Title. Well I found the second disk for Age of Mythology and installed it. Played halfway but then I stopped because it was my spanish pirated version I got when I was younger and living in south america (Almost everything there about entertainment is pirated) so I cant play it online. So im itching for a RTS to play. I might be getting Warcraft 3 in the next month so im excited.
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
Re: Does anybody know any good free RTS games?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 01:51:43 pm »

Battle for Wesnoth. It's moddable and you can play online, too. :)

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 02:25:05 pm »

Battle for Wesnoth. It's moddable and you can play online, too. :)
And its not an rts.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 02:45:30 pm »

you can look though this list. they've got reviews there too! (also, LoL and behold: Battle for Wesnoth is an RTS!)
if it's multilayer you want, my personal recommendation goes to Hive Rise (it's on the list too), which is a distillation of what multilayer RTS is- a dozen units, 2 resources, 100 oponents and 10 minutes to kill them. fun. (of course you should not listen to me, I'm an anti-social single player campaign [with lots of text, please!] enjoyer, and know nothing of MMORTSes ;D)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 03:50:02 pm »

Awesome list but my 48 kb a second is having a hissy fit trying to download command and conquerer.

dephbokks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 05:13:18 pm »

Some other ones to consider are:

1. Globulation 2

2. Spring

I have not played these thoroughly; however, they are free and deserve to be checked out.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 06:29:48 pm »

Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 12:58:12 pm »

Ok who do I play with in the first c&c. GDI or NOD?

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 01:10:20 pm »

Ok who do I play with in the first c&c. GDI or NOD?
NOD. Bad guys ftw

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 01:13:10 pm »

I highly recommend company of heroes, it isnt free but the game without expansions only costs 8$
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 01:40:10 pm »

C&C doesnt want to work on win7 the colors are messed up and when I start the first NOD mission it freezes I have to ctrl+alt+delete and log off.

dephbokks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2010, 01:51:24 pm »

C&C doesnt want to work on win7 the colors are messed up and when I start the first NOD mission it freezes I have to ctrl+alt+delete and log off.

I do not have Windows 7, but in other versions of Windows, you can do the following. Right click on the .exe file. Then click properties. A new properties tab will open up. Then click on the compatibility tab. Then there should be some 'run this program in compatibility mode for ...' dialog. Just pick XP or whatever....

Maybe you can do something like that in Windows 7.

In a couple of years there will not only be DOSBox, but there'll be XPBox too.  ;D

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2010, 04:24:09 pm »

Well I start to play the NOD campaign the first mission is simple Some guy with different views and ideals (That means hes the spawn of satan) is around and he means trouble. Captain says go kill the cat for me, and im like sure broh and I go get my ragtag of mercs and soldiers and I slaughter the all the civilians and raze the houses with my awesome fascist ideals. So when all the people are dead and the houses ashes, the leader is nowhere in site my guys are like " Yo Fuehrer wheres the asshole" and im like " Hey I see him hes on top of that plateau by himself watching his village burn to the ground, what an asshole no wonder that we got sent to kill him" then hes like "kthxbai" but before he goes I say " Wait! I love you (ensue BROfist)". After that mission I go on 2 more (Last one was rescuing all the bros from the prison) missions and I say im impressed the NODs are awesome guys who go around imposing their awesome fascist ideals and collecting green crystals (For nonetheless the reason to turn them into red crystals which they use in their lightsabers) for powers and stuff, I like them.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 11:21:42 am by Huesoo »

Aribar Hunter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2010, 05:55:33 pm »

« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 08:22:34 pm by Aribar Hunter »

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2010, 06:05:20 pm »

Well I start to play the NOD campaign the first mission is simple Some guy with different views and ideals (That means hes the spawn of satan) is around and he means trouble. Captain says go kill the cat for me, and im like sure broh and I go get my ragtag of mercs and soldiers and I slaughter the all the civilians and raze the houses with my awesome fascist ideals. So when all the people are dead and the houses ashes, the leader is nowhere in site my guys are like " Yo Fuehrer wheres the asshole" and im like " Hey I see him hes on top of that plateau by himself watching his village burn to the ground, what an asshole no wonder that we got sent to kill him" then hes like "kthxbai" but before he goes I say " Wait! I love you (ensue BROfist)". After that mission I go on 2 more (Last one was rescuing all the bros from the prison) missions and I say im impressed the NODs are awesome guys who go around imposing their awesome fascist ideals and collecting green crystals (For nonetheless the reason to turn them into red crystals which they use in their lightsabers) for powers and stuff, I like them.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Medic...
Pages: [1] 2