Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Flowing temperature idea  (Read 644 times)

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Flowing temperature idea
« on: February 27, 2008, 10:45:00 pm »

Yo.

Suggestions for flowing stuff and temperature.

I have done a little flow work(I helped a guy who was coding some cell-based air movement system that also simulated heat) and I thought I would share some ideas... A lot of these may not be valid, but I might as well.

Temperature... Squares with a liquid could have a temperature (maybe 0-7, like liquid).  The temperature of the liquid is based on the temperature stored.  For example, a puddle of heated water that has a temperature of 5, but is only filled up 1 unit out of seven.  It's 1/7th of a full square of water, so the temperature of the the puddle of water is actually only 5/7ths (with 7 being as hot as possible).  This allows water and magma to carry heat in a realistic fashion and expel heat into the surroundings more realistically too, based on the amount of liquid + the temperature of the liquid.  A small puddle of magma wouldn't heat up a square as much as a 7/7 puddle of magma.  I don't know how hard it would be to implement or how CPU intensive it would be.

The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Flowing temperature idea
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 12:54:00 am »

DF already calculates temperature in some fassion, but assuming this adds more detail, then you're adding another byte of data per tile AND another flow.

Cosmonot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 02:06:00 pm »

Flows are something like the second most expensive feature in the game, behind pathfinding, so if temperature isn't already using a flow then it's something you'd have to think about carefully before implementing.
Kobolds carry copper crossbows.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 02:14:00 pm »

When a liquid flows, it will take the temperature with it; the temperature wont flow by itself, it simply stays with the liquid.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 04:09:00 pm »

According to the interview, the flows aren't all that taxing...
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.