Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 65

Author Topic: Dawn of a New World discussion (AoR-like; game dead)  (Read 92772 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Dawn of a New World discussion (AoR-like; game starts!)
« Reply #225 on: May 15, 2010, 06:22:15 am »

Three players does seem a bit sparse. I'll miss the Sidhe though.  :'(
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 15, 2010, 06:59:04 am »

Yeah, me too.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 15, 2010, 11:40:39 am »

I'm fine either way.

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 15, 2010, 09:49:27 pm »

Perhaps I should jump in, then.

Civilization: Eredor
City: Rennad
Color: Blue-gray
Race: Rennad is a racially-diverse city, but is populated mainly by gnomes and a vaguely insectoid species known as the Tokk. Tokk are humanoid in form and smaller even than their gnome allies, seldom exceeding two feet in height. They are slight of build, dark-skinned, bald, and have extremely large eyes. A few Tokk have vestigal dragonfly-like wings, which are considered lucky but otherwise mostly useless. They are physically weak, but wielded powerful magic in the Old World, primarily dealing with earth and metals. Many other races can be found in smaller numbers, especially dwarves and humans.
Theme: Craftsmen, engineers, and artificers
Description: Rennad, founded by the survivors of the fallen city of Eredor, rests on the forested banks of a great river, near the foothills of a small mountain range. The city is, for the most part, low to the ground, with small buildings atop large cellar systems, as both Gnomes and Tokk are more comfortable below the ground. The city is governed by the noble Houses, who send representatives to the city council. There is no official head of the council, making governance a bit of a chaotic affair. City politics are dominated by public debates and private horse-trading, but things are mostly good-natured and, while politicians find themselves ruined on a semi-regular basis, things tend to work out okay for the city as a whole. The people tend to be industrious and concerned with prosperity, values the council reflects.
City life is lively. The city's gnomish population is an enthusiastic producer of, well, pretty much everything, and  small storefronts line pretty much every street. Most of the city's numerous craftsmen are incorrigable tinkerers, always looking for a better (or sometimes simply different) way to do things. The Tokk are in rather worse shape, however. In the past, they worked in close partnerships with their gnomish allies, working together to produce magical devices of all descriptions. Unfortunately, while they have recovered the rudiments of their magic, they are lagging well behind the recovery of their allies and are still struggling to regain their place in the city's life.
History: The city of Eredor in the Old World was founded by an alliance between a guild of gnomish craftsmen and a Tokk clan. The names of each had been lost in the mists of time long before the Old World ended, but it is well-known that the skilled craftsmen and the clever engineers of the gnomes worked well with the Tokk enchanters, and the magical wonders they created soon brought fame and wealth to the city. The city grew quickly, attracting immigrants from around the world, and in time became one of the world's largest metropolises. It was a peaceful city for most of its history, but toward the end of the world, it was quite heavily defended as the weapons and armor it produced made it an important target. The city was nonetheless overrun well before the end, and the people fled to temporarily safer lands. They were therefore already refugees when they arrived in the new world, but soon set about rebuilding once they found themselves with a safe place to do so.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 15, 2010, 09:59:15 pm »

Vanigo, I'm going to send out some scouts soon. If we find your civilization, would you be willing to pay, say, 2 food per turn for protection against bandits? Our men will have strong iron weapons and broad shields, and I can assure you that they will defend fair Rennad to the death.

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 16, 2010, 12:50:54 am »

I know entirely too little about my starting situation to be making decisions like that.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 16, 2010, 12:58:59 am »

You should totally do it.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 16, 2010, 01:03:32 am »

Pfft, there hasn't been a bandit attack in nearly ten years. I think we've had two famines, though.

So clearly, the better deal is to offer out masses of unarmed peasants in exchange for food yourself, knowing that hacking through such a swarm would tire the bandits out too much to carry off the loot. It's the perfect defense!
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 16, 2010, 01:31:10 am »

Pshhh, it's only a matter of time.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 16, 2010, 03:58:43 am »

Thanks Vanigo, I'll get your writeup ready later today. :)

I am a bit surprised that there haven't been raider attacks yet myself. Maybe I should tinker with the event table a bit? :P

First draft, map to follow:

Spoiler: Vanigo's Eredor (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 01:55:27 pm by Knight Otu »
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 17, 2010, 09:09:10 am »

And a map would help, too.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Direforged Original
Castle Otu

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 17, 2010, 07:13:45 pm »

Looks good, for the most part, but there are a few issues I see. I see craftsmanship and engineering as being just as important to them as magic, so I'm not sure Magical Inclination fits. I think trade should probably be one of my starting techs, since I've described the city as having a bustling mercantile life. Lastly, I think having a smithy despite having no metals but gold is more than a bit odd.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 18, 2010, 05:44:29 am »

Right you are.

Second draft:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Gold'll work the same way as in AoR - +2 money without a mine, +1 gold or +4 money with a mine.
Direforged Original
Castle Otu

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 18, 2010, 02:28:49 pm »

So, the tinkerer's shop means I can turn 2 gold into 2 gold jewelry for one labor, right? (And when you say metals that are already luxury resources, you mean metals that can be turned into jewelry naturally, and not that raw gold is a luxury, right?)

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 19, 2010, 06:57:03 am »

Yes, and yes. If you're satisfied with your starting position, you can post, otherwise, feel free to yell. :)
Direforged Original
Castle Otu
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 65