Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 997 998 [999] 1000 1001 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1123511 times)

Imminent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #14970 on: September 07, 2011, 06:56:15 pm »

If I removed the [INTELLIGENT] token from goblins and kobolds, would there be any negative side effects to world gen and their civ creation?

Because its just a damn shame to let all that good meat go to waste.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #14971 on: September 07, 2011, 07:48:32 pm »

Mine out a big space and let the water spread out and evaporate, or drain it away by spilling it into a cavern or off the map or into an aquifer or elsewhere, or pump it away into a cavern or back into the well source or off the map or into an aquifer or elsewhere, or put magma inside and mine the water out, or channel into the room from above and get your dwarves to dump it away bucket by bucket, or drop a burning artifact or some other burning objects or a really hot creature inside to steam it away, or build a door/floodgrate/bridge in the space and link it to a lever and smash the water away, or any combination of those. Best way is yours to choose.

Next question: Did I forget something?

Pump it out, I guess. I once flooded my entire forge area; I dug a channel to the side of the map and then smoothed and fortified the edgemost wall to drain the water out. Bonus; I was able to set up a farming industry next to my magma forges and had a steady supply of handy subterranean 'trees'.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Kento

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma and magma accessories.
    • View Profile
    • Uglorable
« Reply #14972 on: September 07, 2011, 08:04:09 pm »

OK, I have some questions about cave dragons!

1) Can you capture cave dragons with cage traps?
2) Is there a limited population of cave dragons, like there are above-ground-dragons?
3) If you have a tame female cave dragon and a male cave dragon, can they breed?
edit: 4) The wiki says the cave dragon is only found in -dry- evil caverns. How do I determine if a cavern is evil or dry?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 08:06:13 pm by Kento »

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14973 on: September 07, 2011, 08:46:43 pm »

If I removed the [INTELLIGENT] token from goblins and kobolds, would there be any negative side effects to world gen and their civ creation?

Because its just a damn shame to let all that good meat go to waste.

I haven't tried it, but I've heard people edit the Dwarf ETHICS Tokens in the raws to achieve the same delicious results you seem to be going for.  Something about Butchering Sentients.

kurisukun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14974 on: September 07, 2011, 08:54:37 pm »

OK, I have some questions about cave dragons!

2) Is there a limited population of cave dragons, like there are above-ground-dragons?
3) If you have a tame female cave dragon and a male cave dragon, can they breed?
edit: 4) The wiki says the cave dragon is only found in -dry- evil caverns. How do I determine if a cavern is evil or dry?

1) I have no idea, lets look at the raws:   Looks like they're building destroyer 2.   IIRC, those can be caught in cave traps.... and I don't see any Trap_avoid tags, so it looks like you're good there as well.   So Yes.
2) I have no idea, lets look at the raws:  I see no megabeast tag, so they're not tracked in world gen.   So no, they don't work like above-ground-dragons.   I don't know if that means the supply is unlimited, cause you used to be able to deplete the surrounding area of monsters/wildlife, but I don't think that's true anymore.
3) I have no idea, lets look at the raws:   I see no child tag, so no.  They will not produce offspring.
4) I have no idea, lets look at th.... actually... the raws don't help me at all here.   Ummmm....    Lets see here...   Dry would mean that there's no water in that cavern layer.   SO if you crack a cavern, and don't find water, that means it's dry.   As far as evil... I'm guessing that would mean an evil biome?  Meaning you get to play with zombies on that map.   Yay.

Roboboy33

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENJOYING_CATS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14975 on: September 07, 2011, 10:06:38 pm »

How do i make an obsidianizer?
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE CATS

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Eктωρ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14976 on: September 07, 2011, 10:13:33 pm »

It's something simple really, just pour magma over water, I think something like this would work out

____
     |      |
W =        = M
     |      |
     |____|
W comes the water, M the magma, fill it with water a little then pour some magma. This will produce a lot of steam though, you should build some grates to let it escape or wait for it to dissipate before moving dorfs in.
Ektor is in a constant state of internal rage

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh god I'm so tired, leave me alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14977 on: September 08, 2011, 01:07:52 am »

I don't know if that means the supply is unlimited, cause you used to be able to deplete the surrounding area of monsters/wildlife, but I don't think that's true anymore.

i think it is - i remember recent threads on this and noone mentioned infinity of spawnitude of wildlife.

4) I have no idea, lets look at th.... actually... the raws don't help me at all here.   Ummmm....    Lets see here...   Dry would mean that there's no water in that cavern layer.   SO if you crack a cavern, and don't find water, that means it's dry.   As far as evil... I'm guessing that would mean an evil biome?  Meaning you get to play with zombies on that map.   Yay.

you get to play with teh zombers if you're lucky - most of the time its just evil housecats and shit like that. However, i dont think it means the cave is dry. i think dry is refering to the biome, just as evil is. so you'd want a dry biome, like steppes (thats dry right?).
What? Go away, I'm sleep deprived...

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14978 on: September 08, 2011, 07:33:18 am »

Ooh! I could danger room the NWS to train their skills up faster! :D

Um... if it already isn't too late, I believe "Danger Rooms" become "Murder Rooms" if the soldiers aren't fully covered in at least some sort of clothing.  Which may be a problem for the NWS.  Of course, depending on what you want to happen to your embadgered armless soldier, that may not be an issue.

EDIT: Oops old post.

I don't know if that means the supply is unlimited, cause you used to be able to deplete the surrounding area of monsters/wildlife, but I don't think that's true anymore.

i think it is - i remember recent threads on this and noone mentioned infinity of spawnitude of wildlife.

Yeah, I can confirm this.  All animals in the different CREATURES raws have population ranges, saying how many of that creature will spawn per tile of the map view.  I'm experimenting with upping the population for everything to 9001 to avoid the mass extinction that seems to have happened to my first fort.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 07:37:48 am by Xen0n »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #14979 on: September 08, 2011, 07:55:01 am »

Yes, they don't have TRAPIMMUNE.

There's a limited population, but not in the same way as regular dragons.  Regular dragons are unique creatures which are created when the world is generated, and seem to never or very, very rarely reproduce during world history.  Cave dragons are treated like any other wild animal - there's a fixed population generated for each biome they exist in, and once you kill or capture all those there aren't any more.  Dragons, being megabeasts, can travel from anywhere in the world to visit your fortress.  Cave dragons will only show up if there happen to be some in your local cave biomes.

Not without modding.  They're [PET_EXOTIC], so they won't breed in unmodded DF.  They have no CHILD tag either, so even if you mod them to be [PET] they can't make children.

They are found in [BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_CHASM], which means the caverns that have land as opposed to those which are flooded with water.

I'm not sure yet what [GOOD] and [EVIL] mean in relation to caverns.  I've caught gorlaks, which have [GOOD], in caverns under non-good surface biomes, so it's not related to the alignment of the surface biomes.  There might be an invisible good/neutral/evil status on cavern biomes that you can't see when embarking.  I've also heard that it has to do with the depth of the cavern, with the lowermost layer of the caverns being [EVIL], but I don't know if that's true.

Note that cave dragons have [FREQUENCY:5], which means that only 5% of embark sites with the right biomes will even have them at all.  They also have [POPULATION_NUMBER:2:5], so there's only 2-5 of them in an embark site if there are any at all, and they have [UNDERGROUND_DEPTH:3:3] which means you'll only find them in the lowest cavern layer.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14980 on: September 08, 2011, 08:12:43 am »

Note that cave dragons have [FREQUENCY:5], which means that only 5% of embark sites with the right biomes will even have them at all.  They also have [POPULATION_NUMBER:2:5], so there's only 2-5 of them in an embark site if there are any at all, and they have [UNDERGROUND_DEPTH:3:3] which means you'll only find them in the lowest cavern layer.

I'm actually curious about the FREQUENCY token since I'm editing up a storm in my raws.  I've heard conflicting reports about it's function, from "Chance of appearing per embark area," to "Chance of appearing per map square," or even "Amount of time between appearances on the Fortress map" from the wiki: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Creature_token#F

Can anyone confirm/deny the different interpretations?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #14981 on: September 08, 2011, 08:22:50 am »

I think it's chance that the creature will exist per biome that it can exist in.  I don't know that for a fact.  I don't think it has anything to do with the amount of time per appearances however.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14982 on: September 08, 2011, 12:49:23 pm »

I think the [FREQUENCY:XX] token is described right on the wiki about being a thing that determines how often a creature can (not will) show up on a map. However things like number of current wildlife groups and the [POPULATION_NUMBER:X] of the given creature further limit the amount that it shows up. I tend to sort of think of it like a counter that determines when the creature starts to be in the drawing for getting to go on the map, but it still has to win the random number generator that determines which animal goes on first. Note that this is just my personal assumptions, I haven't actually tested this out too much.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Imminent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14983 on: September 08, 2011, 05:19:09 pm »

How do you reserve barrels for your brewing industry?

I set the reserve to 40 however, it doesn't seem to work.

Table Turning

• Bay Watcher
  • Turnways.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14984 on: September 08, 2011, 06:27:07 pm »

What do I add to the Kobald's raws to make it so they survive world gen, again?
Thats another use for useless immigrants.
Pages: 1 ... 997 998 [999] 1000 1001 ... 1178