Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 999 1000 [1001] 1002 1003 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1123474 times)

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #15000 on: September 09, 2011, 08:30:24 am »

folks-

I've had "collect clay" designated at my magma kiln for several years now. the kiln is powered. I have a potter. I have item hauling on. I have (what I think) is a clay collection zone designated. Yet no one collects clay. Anyone got any suggestions here? Commonly forgotten tricks for this situation?

-nightwhips
If the clay zone is covered in underground grasses, then your dwarves can't collect any clay.  Try pasturing a grazer or two in the collection zone.
Easiest thing to prevent plant growth is to build a floor grate on the clay collection zone. Guarantees no plants and free access to the clay or sand.

Hm... my clay zone is outside. Would it naturally be covered? I'm on a mountain top with no native plants outside. I'll go digging around and see if that makes a difference. Great tip on the grate, thanks.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15001 on: September 09, 2011, 10:57:32 am »

From the way you state it, it sounds like your clay job is just sitting there, uncancelled but without anyone taking it? Is that right?

If so... did you accidentally forbid the workshop? Or accidentally turn off the "dwarves collect minerals" from the (o)rders menu? (although with the latter, I suspect you'd have had other problems than the lack of clay...)

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #15002 on: September 09, 2011, 01:07:51 pm »

So if I dig a 4X4 up/down staircase all the way into the caverns, will water flow through the caverns? I plan to drain a river into the caverns to dam it off, y'see.

Also, what direction do dwarves prefer to remove constructions from?
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh god I'm so tired, leave me alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15003 on: September 09, 2011, 01:10:14 pm »

i guess that would work. but it would strangle your fps probably. why not drain it into an aquifer or the map edge instead?
What? Go away, I'm sleep deprived...

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #15004 on: September 09, 2011, 01:12:35 pm »

There's no aquifer on this map, and I'm pretty sure you can't guide water to the edge of the map.

Besides, I've already breached the caverns anyway, it'll only be really bad for a while...and when the stream stops flowing after I dam it, the FPS might actually get better.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15005 on: September 09, 2011, 01:15:29 pm »

i dont know if it will get better after you dam it, but it is possible to drain off the edge of the map. there was a recent thread where someone wanted to get his drowned dwarf out of a river. there was a post on how to drain the river's water, and you can drain water off the map by designating a fortication to be made out of the border rock, which you can't mine.

edit - now that i think of it, draining off the map with be quicker, but it might also rape your fps, so idk which one is truly better.

edit2 - oh and here's a recent thread that might have some useful ideas: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=92854.0
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 01:18:23 pm by plynxis »

Mechanixm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15006 on: September 09, 2011, 03:09:19 pm »

folks-

I've had "collect clay" designated at my magma kiln for several years now. the kiln is powered. I have a potter. I have item hauling on. I have (what I think) is a clay collection zone designated. Yet no one collects clay. Anyone got any suggestions here? Commonly forgotten tricks for this situation?

-nightwhips
If the clay zone is covered in underground grasses, then your dwarves can't collect any clay.  Try pasturing a grazer or two in the collection zone.
Easiest thing to prevent plant growth is to build a floor grate on the clay collection zone. Guarantees no plants and free access to the clay or sand.

Hm... my clay zone is outside. Would it naturally be covered? I'm on a mountain top with no native plants outside. I'll go digging around and see if that makes a difference. Great tip on the grate, thanks.

Collecting Clay uses the Stone Hauling labor...make sure that isn't turned off on all of your dwarves.

Eктωρ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15007 on: September 09, 2011, 07:56:11 pm »

Wrong, it uses Item Hauling.
Ektor is in a constant state of internal rage

Table Turning

• Bay Watcher
  • Turnways.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15008 on: September 09, 2011, 09:22:14 pm »

Any reason my dwarves are still chomping on raw Plump Helmets while I have a large number of prepared dishes made for them?
Thats another use for useless immigrants.

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15009 on: September 09, 2011, 09:44:11 pm »

i just fought a forgotten beast (2 actually) and after the first one, who's blood was dangerous, half the dwarves who where there got a ton of health problems. despite that they were able to kill the second fb that came along just fine, only one death (on the first one there were not causalties).

my problem is, noone is paying any attention to them, not even doctors - they just sidestep them to go pick up dead batwomen. my hospital has free beds and there's lots of "No Job" assholes with the Recover Wounded labor enabled - i havent turned it off on anyone so all dwarves should have it. besides, they recover wounded just find on sieges.

so what's the deal? syndromed dwarves don't count as wounded or something?

edit - i just noticed, despite the presence of haulable stuff down there (caverns) there's a lot of dwarves sitting on their asses. so maybe this has to do with the caverns?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 09:49:46 pm by plynxis »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #15010 on: September 09, 2011, 09:52:36 pm »

It will depend on what's wrong with them.  What kind of 'health problem' do they have?  If it's something like paralysis or blindness or narcolepsy, there's nothing your hospital can do for them.  Dwarven medicine is really only capable of dealing with physical trauma - cuts and broken bones.  The only thing they can do for forgotten beast poisoning is excising dead, rotting tissue.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15011 on: September 09, 2011, 09:57:57 pm »

well the symptoms are Sluggish, Very Drowsy, Thirsty, Hungry, Can't stand or grasp, Infection, broken tissue, Motor/Sensory Nerve damage (some have both some not). i noticed a moment ago, two dwarves are now on the recover wounded job.

at least thirst, hunger and infection are things that are curable - they could feed/water them or cut off infected limbs (from the wounds screen it seems like there's lots of them too).

i'll see what happens - thanks for the tip - i'm adding beds to the hospital in case it coaxes them to pick the injured dwarves up

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #15012 on: September 09, 2011, 10:00:14 pm »

Wow.  It sounds like they need amputation of the everything.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15013 on: September 09, 2011, 10:03:01 pm »

well the symptoms are Sluggish, Very Drowsy, Thirsty, Hungry, Can't stand or grasp, Infection, broken tissue, Motor/Sensory Nerve damage (some have both some not). i noticed a moment ago, two dwarves are now on the recover wounded job.

at least thirst, hunger and infection are things that are curable - they could feed/water them or cut off infected limbs (from the wounds screen it seems like there's lots of them too).

i'll see what happens - thanks for the tip - i'm adding beds to the hospital in case it coaxes them to pick the injured dwarves up

plynxis, are your newly injured dwarves just standing still, not doing anything?  I have a longstanding problem in my fort where any injury involving "unable to stand" just locks a dwarf in place, until they pass out or die, whichever comes first.  If they fall unconscious, then people take them to the hospital.  I put up a bug report but am not sure if anyone else has this problem.  Maybe a similar thing is happening with you?

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15014 on: September 09, 2011, 10:15:16 pm »

it would seem so since they've got the everythings but havent lost consciousness yet. a couple got taken to the hospital and they are unconscious - although there is another dwarf between the beds, on the floor that has pretty much the same stuff but isnt unconscious - i'm assuming he hauled someone there and got afflicted by touching them or something.

Wow.  It sounds like they need amputation of the everything.

edit - lol this is so sigworthy, but no space -> to my awesome.txt file it goes

lol yeah, literally every extremity is yellow; hands, toes - some even got livers of different colors and other internal damage its insane. whats even more insane is, the fbs themselves were a piece of cake in terms of straight up fighting. i'm betting pretty much 95% of the damage they've got is the blood lol.

another thing that bothers me is the slow reaction to pick up these guys equipment and the bodies of the fbs. it might be the fps and lots of z-levels thats confusing me since fps dropped like 10 and my spiral ramp isnt as fast as staircases for travel and they're like 90 z-levels down.

i'm going to make a copy of the save and upload it to your bug report as a possibly related occurence. (but tomorrow - tonight the upload is in heavy use).
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 10:17:57 pm by plynxis »
Pages: 1 ... 999 1000 [1001] 1002 1003 ... 1178