Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Would you deny others the freedom to enjoy planning waste disposal?

Of course not. Freedom is great.
- 82 (31.4%)
Heavens no! I would never deny others.
- 10 (3.8%)
People should be free to enjoy what they like. I'd never oppose it.
- 29 (11.1%)
I love denying others basic rights so I can be lazy and not edit my .init file.
- 55 (21.1%)
What kind of rigged poll is this? MSNBC has fairer. Also, I am pro-filth.
- 85 (32.6%)

Total Members Voted: 260

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 27

Author Topic: Nothing Sacred Left: Add Sewage Already  (Read 55787 times)

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
Re: Nothing Sacred Left: Add Sewage Already
« Reply #255 on: May 29, 2010, 07:23:53 am »

I can't wait for "mucus" to be implemented!
A dwarf with "allergies" could create an abundance of mucus when exposed to certain types of plants, foods, or animals!
I could make a mucus moat!  YAY!
It will be awesome.

That would add more depth to the sickness things we now have... and give gamers another level on which to check for sickness.  Certainly I would prefer my dorfs all get snotty than find the fat boiling from their feet and causing them to bleed out...

In his house at stone R値yeh, Great Cthulhu lies sleeping

amirite?
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 29, 2010, 09:14:56 am »

Edited the OPost with much love to Footkerchief for gathering up quite a few quotes from Toady which, at least in my opinion, indicate he is leaning more towards adding filth as the project develops than he is moving away from it.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 29, 2010, 03:48:46 pm »

That shit is why we have to check and make sure our veggies and fruits aren't from Mexico, because they grow it with human waste. Bad bad bad.

I'm in the middle of nowhere in Mexico at the moment, and no, they don't.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #258 on: May 29, 2010, 05:07:55 pm »

That shit is why we have to check and make sure our veggies and fruits aren't from Mexico, because they grow it with human waste. Bad bad bad.

But yay for spreading unsubstantiated rumors!

Bunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 29, 2010, 05:35:02 pm »

Out of curiosity, and ignorance, why specifially is human waste supposed to be so terrible for growing veggies in?  I mean, my veggies grow in a mixture of rotted vegetable matter and dirt, my MIL swears by diluted chicken shit and I know plenty of people who barter with livestock owners for faeces from all kinds of animals for farming.  Others just buy their manure ready packed.  My great grandad always used blood fish and bone, with rotted vegetable matter mixed into the soil.

What is it in human waste that isn't in cow, horse, pig, chicken and sheep waste?
Ph地glui mglw地afh Cthulhu R値yeh wgah-nagl ftaghn

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: May 29, 2010, 06:21:15 pm »

actually, human waste is used in many places where traditional agriculture is practiced, including my grandfather's backyard. it smells foul when he does it, but there's nothing wrong with the vegies that grow there.

Bunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 29, 2010, 06:43:42 pm »

Interesting to know, thanks!
Ph地glui mglw地afh Cthulhu R値yeh wgah-nagl ftaghn

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #262 on: May 29, 2010, 07:42:35 pm »

I thought it had something to do with our diet being so rich in salt, preservatives, chemicals, etc

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 29, 2010, 08:25:16 pm »

My vote: move along. DF doesn't need this. I hope you don't get what you want, so that I never have to futz with modding it out (or worse, I can't).
I am blown away by your amazing logic.
"Oh hey, don't add because I can't edit init.txt, bye"
The general consensus, which you should have read the thread to find, is add it, and add an init option for the people who find basic bodily functions repulsive.
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: May 29, 2010, 09:40:37 pm »

What is it in human waste that isn't in cow, horse, pig, chicken and sheep waste?

Mostly, the problem is human pathogens.  That's why in places where human waste is commonly used as fertilizer (southeast Asia) vegetables are almost always cooked prior to consumption.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: May 29, 2010, 09:58:12 pm »

Some years ago there was a rumor that a leprous janitor at the Corona beer plants in Mexico was pissing into the vats.

Keep the tradition alive!

(Budweiser was responsible for the rumor. Those fuckers.)
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: May 29, 2010, 10:18:04 pm »

Out of curiosity, and ignorance, why specifially is human waste supposed to be so terrible for growing veggies in?  I mean, my veggies grow in a mixture of rotted vegetable matter and dirt, my MIL swears by diluted chicken shit and I know plenty of people who barter with livestock owners for faeces from all kinds of animals for farming.  Others just buy their manure ready packed.  My great grandad always used blood fish and bone, with rotted vegetable matter mixed into the soil.

Polio, just to mention one.

Some years ago there was a rumor that a leprous janitor at the Corona beer plants in Mexico was pissing into the vats.

I'm not so sure it doesn't happen often enough here in the US. Remember how organic spinach somehow got infested with E. Coli? A bacterium usually in the intestinal tracts of cows?

Yeeeeeeah. Think about that.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 10:20:18 pm by Nikov »
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

culwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: May 29, 2010, 11:37:05 pm »

Oh, you mean they were pouring Bud Light into the Coors bottles.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: May 30, 2010, 03:17:39 pm »

Oh, you mean they were pouring Bud Light into the Coors bottles.

Zing!

Fixed that for ya.
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: May 31, 2010, 09:24:01 pm »

Bump for poll. I find this one a lot better worded than the alternative. I had some help from Frank Luntz on the exact phrasing.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 27