Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: INIT option to Mine out Veins  (Read 1380 times)

TerminatorII

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Adamantine Skeleton]
    • View Profile
INIT option to Mine out Veins
« on: April 04, 2010, 11:55:54 am »

I think there should be an INIT option so your dwarves will automatically mine out any vein they start mining in. I.E. you designate at least 1 square in a mineral vein and they automatically designate every square touching that one (of the same mineral type) for mining.

I know it's a really old suggestion, but I figured I'd dig it up again.
No, I think the cook would be in charge of sugar-coating the cows.

You are a lifesaver! Round and probably in tropical flavors.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: INIT option to Mine out Veins
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 12:02:10 pm »

I thought of something similar recently, a designation point set to designated ore which gives orders to miners to mine it out.

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 12:33:58 pm »

That might be strange now... when you open a cavern, sometimes dozens of metal/mineral veins/clusters are exposed. Do we really want our miners to charge down there en masse and start mining them?

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 12:36:02 pm »

That might be strange now... when you open a cavern, sometimes dozens of metal/mineral veins/clusters are exposed. Do we really want our miners to charge down there en masse and start mining them?
The suggestion is that one designates a starting point on a found vein, not that dwarves go dig all veins discovered.

Shzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 01:18:05 pm »

It would be neat if you would do this with burrows. You would make a burrow underground, assign a miner to it, and he would dig out all the ore and precious stones, and maybe flux too.
000634 □ [adventure mode][environment]   jumping into water while on fire resulted in steamy death

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 01:44:46 pm »

Been suggested many times before, and I agree wholeheartedly -- being able to designate a vein for mining would be a great timesaver.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 03:27:09 pm »

you'd have to make a separate designation to dig out a vein though.

i dont want my miners digging out 50 bn squares when i just told them to dig a critical staircase.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 04:28:28 pm »

I know it's a really old suggestion, but I figured I'd dig it up again.

It's already #7 in Eternal Suggestion Voting, and since Toady will be working on the top ~10 items after this release's bugs are handled, there's little need to voice further support for the idea.