Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Chemical Weapon Tests (yet more warcrimes)  (Read 8724 times)

Kulantan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Chemical Weapon Tests (yet more warcrimes)
« on: April 05, 2010, 11:01:44 am »

Right, the community has gotten the poison system worked out. The purpose of this thread is to turn the mind of our malicious modders to the deployment and utilisation of these poisons to further dwarven domination.

Initial musings (further testing required):
  • If a creature's blood is a [SYN_CONTACT] then if it was exploded by an execution tower onto a weapon stockpile would the weapons become poisoned? If so for how long? Does it work with a [SYN_INJECTED]? Is it possible for the dwarves to handle the weapons without being immune to the toxin? [false]
  • If a barrel is filled with a normally liquid state [SYN_INHALED] and is subsequently involved in a "booze explosion" type trap by heating the liquid to a gas will we get a poison explosion?
  • Combining these ideas is it possible to drop a [SYN_CONTACT] blooded creature from a execution tower into a siege to cause explosive toxic havoc? [confirmed]
  • Is it possible to create deadly wrestlers by coating them in a [SYN_CONTACT] contaminant (perhaps a dust)? [confirmed]

So far (I think) the only confirmed non creature intrinsic way of deploying a toxin is the exploding stone method. Since there is gnomeblight in vanilla I think that we are supposed to be able to deploy poisons in a more reliable and controlled manner. So lets try some experiments. People are welcome to start trying my initial ideas (I'll try to get them tested myself but it might take awhile). That said new ideas (and tests of those ideas) are equally welcome.

List of other ideas raised:
  • Station (chain) [SYN_CONTACT] blooded creatures at the entrance, and when they are killed they act as landmines? [confirmed]
  • A creature that constantly emits poisonous gas? [confirmed]
  • Have your dwarves kill a [SYN_CONTACT] blooded creature that your dwarves were immune to their weapons would be splattered with the poison and be able to contaminate enemies with it.
  • You could make a [SYN_CONTACT] blooded creature , kill it, dump it on a drawbridge, and fire it at your enemies.
  • A creature that drops a rock which boils away and causes poisoning in everything near it. [confirmed]
  • Poison thrown at creatures will cover the creture in poision. [false]
  • Flasks of poison thrown at creatures will cover the creture in poision. [false]
  • Poison thrown at an object will leave a puddle. If a creature walks through the puddle it will cause contamination with the poison. [confirmed]
  • Corpses covered in a poison will poison people if used as a weapon. [confirmed]

Ideas will be marked [confirmed] or [false] when we have experimental evidence .

Hopefully this thread can become a resource for the mad methods that we devise to use the new poisons to kill everything (except perhaps the goddamn Bronze Colossi).
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 06:47:04 pm by Kulantan »

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Chemical Weapon Tests (yet more warcrimes)
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 11:03:58 am »

wait, what's the exploding stone method?
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Kulantan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 11:05:06 am »

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 11:07:03 am »

Ah, I see. What if we made "Bombs" of creatures with poisonous blood, dropped from heights over invaders?
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Kulantan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 11:09:01 am »

Heh, (great) minds think alike. That is idea 3.  ;)

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 11:12:25 am »

Sorry, I have the bad habit of not fully reading posts after I get the gist of it.

Hey, what if you stationed creatures at the entrance, and when they were killed (chained) they acted as landmines?
YOU DOUBLE PENIS

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 11:14:38 am »

You vant it, you gut it! Syndrome expert at the ready!

• If a creature's blood is a [SYN_CONTACT] then if it was exploded by an execution tower onto a weapon stockpile would the weapons become poisoned? If so for how long? Does it work with a [SYN_INJECTED]? Is it possible for the dwarves to handle the weapons without being immune to the toxin?
Nope!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 11:40:50 am by Squeegy »
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Fox the Undead

• Bay Watcher
  • Frozen Dwarf Gas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 11:42:18 am »

Landmines...

Idea 5. Is it possible to create inorganic creature that constantly emits poisonous gas? I'd like to see cats and other migrant pets slowly rotting to death in "immigration meeting zone", causing tantrums.

P.S. Can't you create different creature castes with different poisons?

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 11:48:01 am »

The weapons would not be poisoned, but anyone walking through (or being splattered with) the blood would be infected.

Blood is caste-level moddable, so yes, castes can use different materials and hence syndromes within the same creature definition.

If you were to create a weak creature full of poison blood that your dwarves were immune to, then have your dwarves murder it, their weapons would be splattered with the poison and be able to contaminate enemies with it.
Also known as Zuhayr.

SquidgyB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 11:53:44 am »

Sounds like it's not (yet?) possible, probably more down to the catapult mechanics, but what would I give to be able to hurl a diseased cow corpse or a cage full of Helmet Snakes into a battlefield...  :D

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 11:56:45 am »

Hmm.  You could make a creature called a plague cow or something with poison blood, kill it, dump it on a drawbridge, and fire it at your enemies.

... maybe.
Also known as Zuhayr.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 11:57:31 am »

Also I note that posion works quite rarely although it's set to 100 and has no RESISTABLE token. What makes it act so, I don't know.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010, 12:01:19 pm »

Observation suggests a few things.  First, vapours are better than gasses at being inhaled, and gasses are pretty crappy in that respect.  Secondly, the more exposure you have to the contaminant, the more 'phases' you rack up (they're visible in Arena mode) and the faster the syndrome takes effect.
Also known as Zuhayr.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2010, 12:03:43 pm »

Landmines...

Idea 5. Is it possible to create inorganic creature that constantly emits poisonous gas? I'd like to see cats and other migrant pets slowly rotting to death in "immigration meeting zone", causing tantrums.

If Item Corpse still works (I haven't checked but it seems likely) you could make a creature that drops a rock which boils away and causes poisoning in everything near it. So long as it is alive it is harmless and the dwarves could chain it up outside and any invaders that decide to kill it get a surprise. A nice little landmine trap.

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2010, 12:17:18 pm »

If Item Corpse still works (I haven't checked but it seems likely) you could make a creature that drops a rock which boils away and causes poisoning in everything near it. So long as it is alive it is harmless and the dwarves could chain it up outside and any invaders that decide to kill it get a surprise. A nice little landmine trap.

ITEMCORPSE still works fine, as does your method. :D
Also known as Zuhayr.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6