Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: i cant go to a nother layer  (Read 1897 times)

Psychoceramics

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: i cant go to a nother layer
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2010, 09:45:16 pm »

buy a new keyboard. they're 15 bucks

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2010, 10:01:45 pm »

are all you peaple idiots no imeen i pres stuf its takes a wile then i can use them again...................................   >:(

Translation: I like hot *muffins* in mouth.

Also, people need to stop helping me, as I do not appreciate it.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2010, 10:30:17 pm »

are all you peaple idiots no imeen i pres stuf its takes a wile then i can use them again...................................   >:(

You're saying if you press a key on your keyboard it takes a while before you can use it again? How did you type out all those periods, then?
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

Auldrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2010, 10:31:53 pm »

I thought he meant that it broke occasionally, and wouldn't work for awhile afterwards. I like your way better, though.

azrael300

• Bay Watcher
  • WERE GOING TO LIVE :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2010, 11:47:55 pm »

laptops will brack your sugestion is a back breacker its gest damage it more .... you  !!! idiot!!!
Edit. Oh Jesus Christ, Necro would be proud. The second horse in the caravan came in and immediately caught on fire. I looked into his inventory and found a burning pig tail fiber bag. Curious, I looked inside.
quote above is by yuriruler90

azrael300

• Bay Watcher
  • WERE GOING TO LIVE :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2010, 11:50:49 pm »

no i meen that some or most of my key boards are broken a little .............you cant think strait!
Edit. Oh Jesus Christ, Necro would be proud. The second horse in the caravan came in and immediately caught on fire. I looked into his inventory and found a burning pig tail fiber bag. Curious, I looked inside.
quote above is by yuriruler90

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2010, 11:56:42 pm »

heey , we meen that u usse < and > go to a nother layer , you !!! idiot!!!

honestly , < and > is how you switch layers , also , go to school and learn proper grammar

or tell us what is your nationallity , german? japanese? spanish? french? arabian? malay? or what? , so at least we can speak to you better

Psychoceramics

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2010, 12:03:18 am »

i just got a nasty pm from him calling me an idiot for not having the psychic ability to know he was on a laptop.

just leave this guy. He's not worth helping.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2010, 12:15:12 am »

If your keyboard is broken, add a signature to your forum profile saying so. It makes some people much less angry :) You would not be the only person on the forum with a bad keyboard. Typing ? instead of a broken key also gets the message across.

Also, in this case, you mean Z-levels. Layers are units of rock, which is probably part of the confusion of the first respondents.

To do so: at the top of the page, click profile. Then click 'forum profile' on the left hand navigation bar. Type something in the signature text box, and click 'change profile'.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Box

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMINHUNTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2010, 12:33:30 am »

i just got a nasty pm from him calling me an idiot for not having the psychic ability to know he was on a laptop.

just leave this guy. He's not worth helping.

I'm fairly certain "guy" would be an overestimation of this particular person's age, but no matter, he'll keep whining until he gets his answer.  Shotgunning usually works, but I've got a fairly decent idea of what he wants.

I believe he's saying that he cannot view other z-levels (layers) except when one of his dwarves is on that level, and he uses the game commands to zoom onto that dwarf in order to view different z-levels.  This can take a long amount of time to do, since dwarves don't particularly wander often except when they have a job to do.  In this case, it would take hours or days to successfully perform, and not even reliably.

Shift + comma (<) and shift + period (>) are the default methods of viewing different z-levels.  You can press ESC to change this by using the "key bindings" option.  If your keys are broken, you may want to change your bindings to fit your needs.  In your "init" folder inside of your "data" folder in your dwarf fortress folder, you can find a text file to manually change the bindings yourself if the in-game menu does not work.  Be sure to use to exact phrase the game uses to recognize a keypress (e.g. if the game wants SPACE as a phrase when you want to use the spacebar for any function, be sure to make sure it reads SPACE as the defined button, not anything else)

If you do not understand what I mean in that bolded section, then dwarf fortress is a game you are better off looking into in a few more years.  This game (the interface for the most part) isn't particularly "user-friendly" in any sense of the phrase unless you make it user-friendly.

But lets cover all our bases, hm?

You may only view one z-level at a time, and you must use < or > (or whatever you use) to move up or down levels one by one.

You CAN use function key hotkeys (F1, F2, etc) using the hotkey menu (h) to zoom to a specific location on a specific z-level, and you can hold up to 16 hotkeys, F1 through F8, and Shift+F1 through Shift+F8.

If you want to quickly skip through z-levels, you need to use hotkeys.  There is no other faster way.

I've got a few more ideas in reserve but I'm going to hold back unless the kid changes his attitude.

Now, kid, I would like you to be damn sure about one thing.  Consider what posts you've gotten in your topic a ****ing blessing, because most any other forum would've trolled you back to fisher price with the way you've been acting.  Hell, any other forum would have this topic locked 2 pages ago.  I suggest you act nicer if you want to get any further support.  This is the internet, but it doesn't give you any right to act outright rude and/or stupid.  I don't know what you think that makes you believe you do, but you're lucky beyond belief.  Really.  Perhaps you think you're "anonymous" because nobody knows who you are.  Anonymity doesn't exist.  It is only a matter of how far someone want to go to find information.  That's why it's called the information age.  It's all there.  It is always there.  There are many methods of obtaining this information.  Don't ask for a demonstration.  Many people would be happy to oblige.

Now, I'm going to ask politely.  Please act a little more mature.  There's really no reason to start off on the wrong foot.
You should come inside the box.

Then you'll know what I mean.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2010, 01:31:10 am »

Lots of people out of line in here.  Please treat people with respect here even if you don't think they deserve it.  If you can't do that, and you think there's a problem, just report the post and leave it alone.  When threads get out of control, it takes longer to handle them.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!
Pages: 1 [2]