Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Secondary weapons.  (Read 3029 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Secondary weapons.
« on: May 11, 2010, 06:47:11 pm »

It would be a good idea to allow military dwarves to carry a second weapon around with them in case they lose theirs, or their first weapon is ineffective. This is NOT just "one dwarf carrying two swords," this would work with dwarves carrying two different types of weapon, such as a spear (normal weapon) and short sword (in case of stuckins/enemies without organs). The secondary weapon would be "attached" to the dwarf's armor in the same way as a waterskin, and dwarves would try to keep their skills with primary and secondary weapons equal.

Thoughts?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Secondary weapons.
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 08:07:14 pm »

This makes perfect sense. It's how every warrior has done since long before anyone had imagined writing things down.
It would also be great if marksmen immediately switched to their secondary before entering melee combat (defined as "I'm out of ammo" or "enemy is within 10-15 tiles" and "enemy is on the same side of a wall/can path to me in less than 50 tiles" or "enemy cannot path to me in less than 50 tiles/at all" so that they will think "instead of running that 50 tiles to engage/standing here like an idiot I should go reload" or "I should switch to my melee weapon and engage them")
melee soldiers could switch to their ranged weapon if they have one if target > 20 tiles away, then switch back for the same rules as marksmen, minus reloading.

You should also be able to designate an item to be thrown at range. "spears on your swordsdwarves?" "It's called a javelin"
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 08:52:04 pm »

Throw spear.
Grab sword.
Cut spear out of enemy corpse.
Repeat.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

detsuo04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 02:16:15 am »

archers do tend to keep fighting when they are to close and out of arrows but they just bludgen the enemy to death with their cross bow :P

(militarys?) all over the world use secondary weapons like a side arm, beonette, and daggers or combat knifes...

i don't believe it makes a lot of since for a swordsman to have a spare sword or dagger but a crossbowman would almost certainly have one in real life, or anyone with a weapon too big for close combat like a pike or halberd (long staff with an axe head on the end)

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
  • ...likes cows for their haunting moos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 02:53:43 am »

Heck yeah, secondary weapons!  Yes, please!!!

However, I think that these would best make sense if the real-life attributes of different weapons and melee combat were better realized in game, such as the reach of spears and pikes, or the usefulness of a knife when wrestling on the ground, or the impracticality of some weapons in the context of fights in formations of closely packed people, or wear and tear of weapons and armor...  This kind of stuff, though, would require a lot of stuff Toady has planned to come to fruition first and a general re-working of the fighting system.  It seems like the fighting system works alright for simulating duels without any terrain obstacles and stuff, but in addition to the unrealistic modeling of some aspects of weapons, it simulates poorly the effects of fighting in a crowd and/or places with obstructions.   

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 01:54:18 pm »

Good idea.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 10:58:06 pm »

Donīt they already carry secondary or even tertiary weapons around?
I remember reading about a military dwarf carrying three battleaxes around...
one in his left hand, 2 in his right hand

:D

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 09:04:48 am »

However, I think that these would best make sense if the real-life attributes of different weapons and melee combat were better realized in game, such as the reach of spears and pikes, or the usefulness of a knife when wrestling on the ground, or the impracticality of some weapons in the context of fights in formations of closely packed people, or wear and tear of weapons and armor...  This kind of stuff, though, would require a lot of stuff Toady has planned to come to fruition first and a general re-working of the fighting system.  It seems like the fighting system works alright for simulating duels without any terrain obstacles and stuff, but in addition to the unrealistic modeling of some aspects of weapons, it simulates poorly the effects of fighting in a crowd and/or places with obstructions.   
I agree, this is what makes combat interesting.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 11:22:41 am »

This could also solve "army readiness issues".

If every military dwarf carries his own weapon with him as he should, we would have less "milita engaged enemies, forgot to take weapons" issues.

Scabbards!

Kavalion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 12:03:35 pm »

I've been wanting this, too.  My Subterranean Rangers need a backup melee weapon.  Also, I feel like weapons should break, adding more reason to have a backup.  Since this is a primarily economic game, it might make sense for our weapons and armor to get damaged so we have to fire up our metal industry to melt it down and reforge it.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 12:10:42 pm »

Vulkanis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2010, 12:32:42 pm »

It would be a good idea to allow military dwarves to carry a second weapon around with them in case they lose theirs, or their first weapon is ineffective. This is NOT just "one dwarf carrying two swords," this would work with dwarves carrying two different types of weapon, such as a spear (normal weapon) and short sword (in case of stuckins/enemies without organs). The secondary weapon would be "attached" to the dwarf's armor in the same way as a waterskin, and dwarves would try to keep their skills with primary and secondary weapons equal.

Thoughts?

Well in uniform possibly for squads you'd have in the back-pack options

Water carried [X]
Food carried   [X]
Secondary weapon carried [X]
if so then specify
AXE SPEAR SWORD MACE HAMMER CROSSBOW

I like this idea but generally forts don't have large armys of dwarves they either seem to have a fort filled with traps and some war animals, or a small private group of absolutly DWARVENLY dwarves that kill Goblins with their arms after ripping them off.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 12:35:41 pm by Vulkanis »

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2010, 03:35:28 pm »

How do you keep spearmen from drawing their backup every time the spear gets stuck?

Vulkanis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2010, 03:39:44 pm »

How do you keep spearmen from drawing their backup every time the spear gets stuck?

I wouldn't worry about it as long as they kill said enemy then you can recover the spear anyways.

Leesin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2010, 03:46:31 pm »

Donīt they already carry secondary or even tertiary weapons around?
I remember reading about a military dwarf carrying three battleaxes around...
one in his left hand, 2 in his right hand

:D

Well I only played 2010 a little but then was suggested to play on 40d first so I have been doing so, but you can only assign Dwarf to carry 2 of ONE weapon type, what Urist is saying is that it would be nice if you could order them to carry two different weapon types. So you could arm your entire army with crossbows, but they would switch to sword when enemy was real close, or perhaps spearmen with a sword backup and so on.
Pages: [1] 2