Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven ghosts (non-alcholic spirits)  (Read 1095 times)

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
Dwarven ghosts (non-alcholic spirits)
« on: April 24, 2007, 09:11:00 pm »

An idea i had from reading this thread: http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=000920
But because i didn't want to hijack it, i'm making a new thread.

A possible solution to the skill gain from mood problem, and the 'omg no, not that dwarf!' problem of moods themselves can be solved with the addition of one basic npc:
Ghosts.

Ghosts are generated in a variety of ways, with various chances of occuring from each action. I'll start with a basic list of rules:

- Ghosts can pass through rock and move between levels freely. They are immune to most forms of attack, and can only be 'damaged' if they possess something, and that object becomes damaged or destroyed.

- Ghosts have emotions, but they're relatively set in stone. They also hate/fear the things they did in life, and keep their object preferences (like colors) If they like wine, they'll probably hang around your silver wine barrels; more so if they like silver, and /or barrels.

- Ghosts will generally 'die' when they've completed their 'job', based on the emotional state they spawned with. Based on the current emotional state, a ghost may try to possess a dwarf and give them a fey mood, or use them as puppets to attack other dwarves (which the dwarf is not punished for if the ghost leaves his body mid-fight, and still alive)

- When giving dwarves moods, ghosts will not always put the dwarf to legendary, because the ghosts' skills are added to the dwarfs skills. Proficient Dwarf + Proficient Ghost = X result of skill addition. As well, this addition may only be temporary, for as long as the ghost is in the dwarf's body. Sword dwarf ghost possesses a peasant, the peasant activates into a sword dwarf, and is now a sword dwarf of equal skill (unless his skills are greater) to the ghost. If the ghost leaves to find a new host, the skill bonus is lost, but if the ghost leaves to pass on then the skills stay.

- Ghosts generally try to avoid creating cyclical events; A leads to B which leads to C which leads back to A... This shouldn't happen. Actions made by ghosts generally stop at the dwarves they influence first.

A few examples of these rules in action. Ex1:
Gol Huzam the Proficient Mason dies tragically in a cave in while trying to build a support. He failed in the last job he was given, and because of this he returns to stop that from happening again. He finds a mason that was like himself, and possess the dwarf. Struck with a mood the dwarf hurries off to a masons' workshop and constructs an artifact rock block -- The object type Gol was ordered to use to build the support with. The materials being both was is available, and what Gol liked, and his possessed dwarf likes.
Gol liked obsidian and iron, but since neither is found in the current inventory, any dark stone and metal is used. The possessed dwarf likes tin, of which has been found, so tin is used and satisfies Gols' metal requirement. Thus, an artifact dark stone block is made that menaces with spikes of tin.

Ex2:
Having been driven mad by a destroyed masterpeice engraving, Kel Dazult the Legendary Engraver dies by throwing herself into the river. One year later, a depressed ghost appears at the point where she killed herself, and moves towards the place where her masterpeice was ruined. Then slowly, she patrolls between the two points, wailing. Every dwarf that sees her is depressed by this for a few seasons, until she resolves herself by seeing some engravers creating their own masterpeices -- She disappears after having her heart mended by good memories.

Ex3:
Killed in an ambush, a peasant was thrown into the chasm, and was never given a grave for 7 full seasons. On the eigth seaon, his ghost returns seriously pissed off, possesses a bladed weapon, and begins to hover around swinging the weapon wildly at everything he sees. The military responds before anyone is killed, and destroys the weapon with relative ease, as the ghost had no experience in weaponry and fighting. -- Power gone, and satisfied with his attempt at murder on those who angered him, the ghost gives up and passes on.

Alot more complex then what we have now, but at least when magic is put in we can put anti-ghost charms in our graveyards to control how much and what sort of ghosts come up... And maybe wether or not we can control them (possessed weaponry legion, go hack at those goblins!)

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Naminator4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven ghosts (non-alcholic spirits)
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 09:34:00 pm »

Well, there's already something about dwarfs being possessed in the game.

This would be a great idea, in fact, it would also be great in adventure mode (spirits of dead adventures).

[ April 24, 2007: Message edited by: Naminator4 ]

hat''s it for now.

hactar1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 01:09:00 pm »

I had almost the same idea, and you beat me to the punch by less than a day...   :p

Bloat21 appears to discuss some of the planned Ghost ideas for DF.

Ghosts should not be created every time a dwarf dies, but the circumstances of death should affect the likelihood.  Dwarves not buried quickly/properly would be more likely to return in the afterlife, haunting the site of their death, and those killed by another dwarf might return to haunt (give unhappy thoughts to) their murderer.  Dwarves who die after being driven insane by a fell mood might return to possess another dwarf to finish the item they were unable to finish.

Perhaps legendary dwarf ghosts might even haunt/curse the item or location of their legendary craft under certain conditions, bringing ill fate to those who use it later.  And I'm sure those humans would not be very happy when they return home, only to find that the artifact silver-banded, obsidian-spiked unicorn skull totem you sold them was cursed by the spirit of a powerful ghost!

ricree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 04:21:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by hactar1:
<STRONG>
Perhaps legendary dwarf ghosts might even haunt/curse the item or location of their legendary craft under certain conditions, bringing ill fate to those who use it later.  And I'm sure those humans would not be very happy when they return home, only to find that the artifact silver-banded, obsidian-spiked unicorn skull totem you sold them was cursed by the spirit of a powerful ghost!</STRONG>

Or maybe even haunt it in a good way.  Like, for example, if an item is an artifact weapon or armor, it might be particularly effective against the type of creature that killed its creator.  

Really, there are a lot of fun things that could be done with ghosts.  For example, you could have a necromancer take hold in a fortress and raise all the dead dwarves into an army.  Then as either an adventurer quest, or in reclaim mode, you might have to seek out the necromancer and kill him so that your dwarves can finally rest in peace.

Gakidou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 07:32:00 am »

While I like the idea of Dwarven Ghosts, I'm not sure how I feel about them being "non-alcoholic spirits"; you'd hardly be able to recognize them as their former selves!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 10:23:00 am »

Mere shadows of their past lives, eh?