Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1555 1556 [1557] 1558 1559 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3698797 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Spring Drive Edition
« Reply #23340 on: May 08, 2013, 06:50:10 pm »

Really? Because Prometheus and AMoM don't really have the same plot at all. AMoM is more similar to the Thing or Alien than Prometheus.
Mountains features an alien precursor and their colony being explored by human researchers who discover during the course of their search that said precursor are responsible for the creation of mankind, as shown by an engraving in the city relating to the Elder Things' genetic experiments and creations. Mountains also has alien slime monsters.

Prometheus, likewise, features alien precursors, with "perfect match" of DNA with humans, as well as alien geometries and slime-based monsters.

To the average sci-fi scrub, Mountains could be seen as a stupid rip-off of Prometheus, "because Prometheus obviously came first, derp."
Huh. I was mistaken.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23341 on: May 08, 2013, 09:09:24 pm »

:o

Sweet Lord.

I just discovered the whole GDI/Greek schism. This shit doesn't even exist in community college. Considering I'm transferring to a full state university, the possibly that I'd be concentrating on schoolwork while surrounding by this idiotic civil war wearing a paper thin disguise over its true "Liberal vs. Conservative" face is... disconcerting.

People, how do you avoid this crap? Are most universities like this? Am I gonna have to walk around campus fully prepared to have a keg of beer and jagged ice cubes poured over my head during a quiet conversation with my friends?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23342 on: May 08, 2013, 09:14:51 pm »

How bout quitting pretending that these stupid groups actually represent people and aren't just arbitrary labels people stick on each other (and themselves) to make schisms in the first place?

Don't put yourself under any of these stupid labels and tell anyone who whines about them to bugger off.

(I am assuming Urban Dictionary is accurately educating me about this)
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #23343 on: May 08, 2013, 10:11:24 pm »

Ordered a DVD drive/burner, and it turns out that it doesn't have the same connector that my motherboard uses.

Also, Windows decided to rearrange several icons on my desktop for no reason. Randomly making every folder think it's a music folder is bad enough.

EDIT: I suppose there isn't anything like a SATA-to-USB converter or anything like that?

EDITBEFOREEDIT: Apparently there is, and it costs just as much as the drive did.

Uh.... either your new DVD drive is dirt cheap, or you're doing it wrong, because around here USB to SATA converters go for around $10

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #23344 on: May 08, 2013, 10:11:48 pm »

Rage: Sociology is not real. Why it's on the official college entrance exam down here, I'll never know. Oh, right. Feels.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #23345 on: May 08, 2013, 10:17:26 pm »

People, how do you avoid this crap? Are most universities like this? Am I gonna have to walk around campus fully prepared to have a keg of beer and jagged ice cubes poured over my head during a quiet conversation with my friends?

No, that's all hype. Yes, you'll probably deal with occasional campus preacher, the sit-in, the guy on a microphone yelling to crowds out front of the Student Union. Unless you're going to an exceptionally small college though, people generally leave you to your own thing. Unless you choose to engage them.

Rage: Sociology is not real. Why it's on the official college entrance exam down here, I'll never know. Oh, right. Feels.

What professors and TAs love: new students telling them their discipline is bunk. You'll do great in college.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #23346 on: May 08, 2013, 10:19:30 pm »

Rage: Sociology is not real.
... what?

I mean, don't get me wrong, sociology's still pretty young. But if it's not real, neither is psychology, and going down that path is starting a long damn trip going through the "hard" sciences that ends up back at philosophy and philosophy promptly shrugging its shoulders and going, "Nah, sorry dude, we're all unreal here, too."

Sociology's done some pretty good academic and practical work, so far. Still got some "figuring out what the hell we're doing" jitters, but it's no anthropology (I jest, partially, though anthropo's even younger and more confused as to wtf it's doing) and it's got some solid things going for it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23347 on: May 08, 2013, 10:21:45 pm »

It isn't the concept I dislike. It's the methodology. It needs the sort of rigor found in the natural sciences.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23348 on: May 08, 2013, 10:26:03 pm »

No, that's all hype. Yes, you'll probably deal with occasional campus preacher, the sit-in, the guy on a microphone yelling to crowds out front of the Student Union. Unless you're going to an exceptionally small college though, people generally leave you to your own thing. Unless you choose to engage them.

Great to hear, in that case. I like as few nuisances in my life as possible.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23349 on: May 08, 2013, 10:30:53 pm »

Great to hear, in that case. I like as few nuisances in my life as possible.

The simplest solution is to walk at twice the speed of everyone around you, bulky headphones on, loud music going, vacant thousand-yard stare on your face. It's always worked for me, anyways. If someone offers you a free bible, either accept it with a smile and a "Hail Satan!" or awkwardly sign it while muttering that you don't normally do this for fans.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #23350 on: May 08, 2013, 10:36:00 pm »

It isn't the concept I dislike. It's the methodology. It needs the sort of rigor found in the natural sciences.
The better parts of it have that rigor. Some parts don't (they're steadily getting replaced by the parts that do), but again, look at early psych, or early natural sciences. Sociology as a developed field is still incomplete and quite young, but it's come a long way and it's getting further by the day.

I'm not in the field, but I've been through a few (mandatory, for the schools in question) classes and talked with folks both in and in communication with people in the field, and... the actual methodology that sociological experimentation is supposed to be using is least as rigorous as psychology (The fields are pretty well connected and often work together. Something like half of the major experimental tools sociology uses is literally identical to psychological experimentation. Same methodology, same experimental procedures.). From what I've seen, a good chunk of the folks pioneering the field in the academic world are pretty on the ball.

So... maybe the experiences here are different, but t'me you seem to be talking about something that's not actually sociological study :-\

The simplest solution is to walk at twice the speed of everyone around you, bulky headphones on, loud music going, vacant thousand-yard stare on your face. It's always worked for me, anyways. If someone offers you a free bible, either accept it with a smile and a "Hail Satan!" or awkwardly sign it while muttering that you don't normally do this for fans.
... I think the most I've been accosted on a campus was the time or two folks inquired about my walking stick. Note: No innuendo. My walking stick is just kinda' awesome and draws adulation and inquiry.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23351 on: May 08, 2013, 10:37:48 pm »

The better parts of it have that rigor. Some parts don't (they're steadily getting replaced by the parts that do), but again, look at early psych, or early natural sciences. Sociology as a developed field is still incomplete and quite young, but it's come a long way and it's getting further by the day.

I'm not in the field, but I've been through a few (mandatory, for the schools in question) classes and talked with folks both in and in communication with people in the field, and... the actual methodology that sociological experimentation is supposed to be using is least as rigorous as psychology (The fields are pretty well connected and often work together. Something like half of the major experimental tools sociology uses is literally identical to psychological experimentation. Same methodology, same experimental procedures.). From what I've seen, a good chunk of the folks pioneering the field in the academic world are pretty on the ball.

So... maybe the experiences here are different, but t'me you seem to be talking about something that's not actually sociological study :-\

I think so, yeah. The Brazilian intellectual climate tends to be very far-left, and what I'm seeing has an uncomfortable resemblance to certain corners of Tumblr.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23352 on: May 08, 2013, 10:39:52 pm »

You're implying you can go too far left?

Pish posh! Gay marriage for everyone! Especially straight people!
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23353 on: May 08, 2013, 10:45:49 pm »

At least at App I haven't heard much of that. I didn't even know about the term GDI until now. To be fair, the fraternities at App are more concerned about fighting the school to get re-registered every year than fighting for recruits.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #23354 on: May 08, 2013, 10:48:36 pm »

The problem with Sociology as I see it is it requires a lot of inference on what the data means. And if the sample was too small, if the data wasn't gathered correctly....it's also frequently used as a weapon by the Left, and occasionally by the Right as well when the data fits their assumptions, and that puts any science in an awkward position because everyone has been robbed of their credibility, even researchers who never set out to make a political point in the first place. That said, there is an element of social justice in a lot of what Sociology studies, so when you're doing a study on the life expectancy of middle-aged black women living in poverty, or homeless street kids, your work ends up political regardless.

I actually worked for a Sociological Research outfit for a few years in college. I helped design and code the methodology for one study about memory, listened to probably 500? hours of recorded sociological interviews, a couple hundred pages of transcripts and coded a lot of the data.

And there's two distinct kinds of work done. One is very informal, and very personal, where a sociologist talks to as many people as they can and asks them all the same questions but lets them answer very freely. Studies based off data like that are highly interpretive and usually rely on samples that don't meet statistical muster. The other kind are hard data studies, surveys done by the thousands. Those do contain the kind of rigorous science and statistical analysis that actually supports conclusions.

So yeah, I was neck deep in Sociology for three years, and while I very much understand and agree with the "Feel" part of it, there is a lot of bonafide science being done. And the free response interviews aren't useless either, they provide a critical angle that large anonymous studies do not. It's just very slow data to work through and yes, it does lead to an emotional investment in the topic, because the researchers are actually talking to these people in person, sometimes for 20 hours or more over several sessions. It's the kind of data that you spend a life time collecting and building on. (And it's usually almost always supported with hard data as well.)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 10:52:45 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 1555 1556 [1557] 1558 1559 ... 3345