Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sewage/Dwarf Waste  (Read 3841 times)

shibdib

• Bay Watcher
  • How much for Goat?
    • View Profile
Sewage/Dwarf Waste
« on: July 14, 2010, 09:12:16 pm »

Do the dwarves not have to poop or anything? Would be neat to have to make either built in plumbing with aqueducts or just have them use buckets and bring it out to refuse piles.

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The little oni that strikes the earth
    • View Profile
Re: Sewage/Dwarf Waste
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 09:27:18 pm »

I think we seen this topic alot of times. But long story short, Toady isn't considering programming dwarves to poop. So I don't try and wish too hard for something he said no to.

In before a long debate about "to poop or not to poop."
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otakukind!

And maker of the mod in progress known as Suika Fortress Now for 0.34.xx!

shibdib

• Bay Watcher
  • How much for Goat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 09:29:11 pm »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 09:40:45 pm »

Let me see... searching for "poop", the forum has gone for approximately 25 days without an "add sewage already" thread.

Thing is, the same arguments are slung back and forth over and over.  About 30% of people really want it because of the ability to build sewers and use it for fertilizer and general realism, 25% of players think it would ruin the forums with all the "LOL POOP" trolls and claim there is no way to use sewage except as toilet humor, and everyone else is fairly ambivalent.

Toady has said, however, that he has, at least, left the table open for it, saying that if it was implimented, he would want it implimented "tastefully" (which means it would probably be more like "waste" or "sewage", although I still don't understand what was so tasteful about making dwarves vomit constantly when they walk outside...)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

shibdib

• Bay Watcher
  • How much for Goat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 09:46:51 pm »

I didnt even think of the fertilizer option.. honestly i think it would be neat as it would lead to the need to build systems of running water and other dwarfy achievements

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 01:02:30 pm »

I think we seen this topic alot of times. But long story short, Toady isn't considering programming dwarves to poop. So I don't try and wish too hard for something he said no to.

In before a long debate about "to poop or not to poop."
AFAIK Toady hasn't given a definitive no - in fact he has left it open in recent interviews - but merely said it wasn't planned at that point.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 01:30:29 pm by Silverionmox »
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 01:14:07 pm »

I would love poop to be in the game but to have a use in the game poop has been used in warfare before,stuff like poop covered spikes and things and it is pretty good fertilizer.

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 02:36:11 pm »

There wouldn't be any point including it if all it did was add more hauling jobs in the name of realism.

I think you would need incentive to do more than just designate a toilet zone, make dwarfs wade through it to relieve themselves, and make up for the unpleasant experience with a magnificent dining hall.

The only way it could be made useful enough to be worth including in the game is if you could send sewage off to a settling tank workshop to have it compressed down into blocks which you can then further refine in a smelter to get another form of fuel.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 03:03:33 pm »

Water for cleanliness would be a great addition, and overly elaborate plumbing systems that may or may not flood the entire fortress are very dwarven.

Requiring dwarves to periodically go to water to "clean self" would be enough. They do this currently if they become covered in substances (except for one dwarf in particular who likes rolling in sand for some bizarre reason and refuses to wash himself) but if you're not constantly fighting things the dwarves will never clean themselves.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 04:47:47 pm »

There wouldn't be any point including it if all it did was add more hauling jobs in the name of realism.

I think you would need incentive to do more than just designate a toilet zone, make dwarfs wade through it to relieve themselves, and make up for the unpleasant experience with a magnificent dining hall.

The only way it could be made useful enough to be worth including in the game is if you could send sewage off to a settling tank workshop to have it compressed down into blocks which you can then further refine in a smelter to get another form of fuel.

This really is the problem with this routine of generating a new sewage thread every couple weeks: Every time there's a thread, the arguments for it have to be trotted out and explained again because people think that there would be no use for sewage.  (It also happens to be exactly what I just said in my previous post...)

So hey, there's distilling urine for ammonia, a chemical used for cleaning and for a wide array of chemistry/alchemy, as well as the use of air quality mechanics to help replace the current miasma systemNikov wrote quite extensively here (which itself, quotes Footkerchief, quoting Toady on the subject).  With later posts by Bunny and myself, specifically addressing uses of sewage, and shooting down virtually every argument against sewage.

Oh, and while we're at it, here's another thread, and another thread, and another, some more, plus a dozen other direct hits that involve some variation of "sewage" or "poo" or "greywater" or "waste" or "filth".

So again, unless you honestly have thought of something completely radical and new to bring to the discussion, consider this having already flogged every drop of blood out of the dead stone, to mix some metaphors.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 04:56:19 pm »

Something innovative ....

..... poop could be a rare resource you can trade from random Moosemen caravans, to use as jewelry? (moose poo is pretty solid and in generally doesn't smell. being a swede I know this, and I also know that it's a fairly popular souvenir.. mostly germans buy it, apparently. coat them and use as earrings!)
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

OneOfNone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 09:30:07 am »

Anyone here read Terry Pratchett? he had a character, harry king, "King of the Golden River", who made his money collecting people's waste for a fee, then selling it to the alchemists. human (or dorfen) waste has a lot of uses. probalby need more alchemy in game 1st, though.