Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mine Vein  (Read 2890 times)

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
Mine Vein
« on: August 01, 2010, 10:24:33 am »

Within the Designate Menu add a new option Mine Vein: (V) - Mark tile to be mined out, all adjacent tiles of exact mineral likeness will be marked for Mine Vein.

Pretty much, pick one tile (example: Rough-hewn Galena), a dwarf will mine that tile, and if a new Galena wall is exposed, it and all other connecting galena walls will be marked for mining and to check for Galena after the new marked tile has been mined. An auto-mine a vein command.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Mine Vein
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 10:45:30 am »

Before posting a new suggestion, you should check for previous suggestions of the same sort, and especially check the devpages to see what the next upcoming game features will be.

Vein Auto-Mining is #7 on the Eternal Suggestion Voting board, and has already been announced as part of the Devpages to be put into one of the upcoming versions of DF.  This suggestion is redundant - it's already planned to happen.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 02:18:50 pm »

I'm not really here to add anything except that your suggestion was 400 different kinds of redundant, just like this one.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 09:29:26 am »

I am also not contributing.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Fourdots

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 03:49:17 pm »

Currently, a program to do that is included with DFHack. It is immensely useful, and an acceptable stand-in until the capability shows up in DF itself (which, do not misunderstand me, I eagerly anticipate. It's a lot easier to run an external program than to hover over a dwarf, designating squares as they are revealed, though).

Bersken

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 10:18:02 pm »

From someone who was searching the forum before making the same suggestion: It's nice to know that such a feature is already planned. I hate having to micro-manage my miners while neglecting to keep my other dwarves busy.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 11:10:22 pm »

Yes, the DFHack vein digging tool is great; I use it all the time myself.  You do have to be careful, though...some of those veins are gigantic and might wind through the earth until they open up on a cavern or give enemies an unexpected path in to the fort.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 10:01:43 pm »

I thought of a great way to implement Mine Vein, and I haven't spotted anything this before, so here goes:

Use the manager.  Add a series of Tasks such as:
Mine X stone
Mine Gems
Mine Economic Stones
Mine Flux
Mine Ores
Mine Any Stone

And the manager would mark exposed tiles for mining if they fit the criteria.  The downside would, of course, is that you have no control over which specific tiles get marked for mining (of course, you could do that manually if it's that important).  The manager (in it's own inscrutable way) might decide that the metal ore on the far side of the untamed cavern is the best stuff.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 11:08:34 am »