Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Phantom marble?  (Read 1858 times)

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
Phantom marble?
« on: August 18, 2010, 06:06:05 pm »

One of the reasons I chose this recent embark of mine was that it claimed to have a marble layer.  However, I have since discovered this to be a big fat lie, as there isn't a single tile of Marble to be found anywhere.  After a very thorough search with DFReveal's help, I ran DFProspector to see if I could find any evidence of marble's presence from its little brother calcite and learned that there is in fact calcite on the map.  So if there's calcite, and no limestone, then where's the marble?  It does not exist, as far as I can tell.  Any explanations?

Incidentally, this is the second map I've found this to be the case.  Quite peculiar, really...
Sanity is for the weak.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Phantom marble?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 06:08:48 pm »

maybe by some freakish coincidence all the marble was replaced by minerals?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 06:10:34 pm »

Was the marble at the bottommost layer? It probably got eaten by the magma sea :P

I had a similar thing happen while I was looking for a good place to do a fort.

As for the calcite, how many did DF prospector say there were? It could be a tiny remnant somewhere in the magma sea.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 06:16:16 pm »

There's 108 calcite.  I don't think it got eaten by the magma sea, as the embark listed Marble as one of the earliest resources on the list for its region.  It should have appeared on the same levels that quartzile is very common on in the second region of the embark site.  Instead, there's quartzile all over the place and no marble.
Sanity is for the weak.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 06:18:40 pm »

What tileset are you using? Marble and Quartzite look very similar in Maydays tileset. Also, did you check all biomes?

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 06:24:54 pm »

One of the reasons I chose this recent embark of mine was that it claimed to have a marble layer.  However, I have since discovered this to be a big fat lie, as there isn't a single tile of Marble to be found anywhere.  After a very thorough search with DFReveal's help, I ran DFProspector to see if I could find any evidence of marble's presence from its little brother calcite and learned that there is in fact calcite on the map.  So if there's calcite, and no limestone, then where's the marble?  It does not exist, as far as I can tell.  Any explanations?

Incidentally, this is the second map I've found this to be the case.  Quite peculiar, really...

I am fairly certain that dfprospector does not list layer stones, only mineral clusters, which would explain why it did not show marble.  Upload your save, I will find your marble ;P
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 06:33:14 pm »

I use the same tileset I always have, the one the author of Three Panel Soul made.  And marble has always shown up for me as a white-and-gray version of granite, visually.  Unless the tile representative used for marble has been switched to a - like quartzile, there's no way in hell I can be mixing the two up.
Sanity is for the weak.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 06:43:35 pm »

I use the same tileset I always have, the one the author of Three Panel Soul made.  And marble has always shown up for me as a white-and-gray version of granite, visually.  Unless the tile representative used for marble has been switched to a - like quartzile, there's no way in hell I can be mixing the two up.

Instead of relying on visual only, use 'k' and look at the stuff to make sure..
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 07:12:07 pm »

I did a very thorough check, and there's not even any trace of the calcite, let alone the marble.  I'm going to have to conclude that all of my precious marble and calcite is in fact somehow part of the semi-molten rock layers.  That's what I get for building a fort on a mostly flat locale, I guess.
Sanity is for the weak.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 09:36:36 pm »

Yeah, Prospector doesn't list layer stones.

That being said, you might have to look for it.  I actually had marble on my one map when it wasn't listed as a layer stone at all.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 09:42:14 pm »

Between this thread and that thread, I'm wondering what's going on...

What version of DF did you use to gen the world?

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 11:20:37 pm »

It was a vanilla 0.31.12 gen.  I'm pretty sure what happened was that the marble layer was in fact on one of the semi-molten rock layers, and that "semi-molten rock" is just a flag put on a tile and not an actual material definition of its own.  I searched the map very, VERY thoroughly on every level (which didn't take that long; it has only 36 usable Z-levels), and found no trace of marble OR calcite (though I think I saw Calcifer in the HFS (and I'm sure that joke will go over most peoples' heads)).  So yeah, long story short, no flux on that map.  Oh well.
Sanity is for the weak.

Tryntu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 11:44:58 pm »

funny. i've got the same problem. it said it had flux stone in the finder, and so far, i've dug the first cavern, and nothing. also, no goblinite somehow.

of course, my main problem right now is that my fort is entirely too successful. i've got 231 dwarves and 16000 stone pieces, not counting all the ore i've not enough fuel for, sitting around, running my game at all of 10-14 FPS. oh, and my food situation? DEAR GOD. with the well i dug myself, my fort can survive for centuries totally isolated from anything. (i overengineered the well. did the math, damn thing will hold enough water for 14,883 DF years if the dwarves drank nothing else, and didnt recharge or drain it. it's been filling for two years now, i still have six Z-levels to go. i'm quite proud of it. >.>) anyway.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2010, 03:51:20 am »

(though I think I saw Calcifer in the HFS (and I'm sure that joke will go over most peoples' heads))

If Toady ever actually does that moving-parts business, we might actually have forts walking around. :D

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2010, 09:57:06 am »

(though I think I saw Calcifer in the HFS (and I'm sure that joke will go over most peoples' heads))

If Toady ever actually does that moving-parts business, we might actually have forts walking around. :D

I'd settle for the space/time-bending front door, myself.  How useful would that be, having an enchanted door that leads to a different part of the embark entirely?  Naturally, Dwarves would never use it, but it'd still be cool.
Sanity is for the weak.